VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey,

I was thinking about getting such a DVD player, but I was wondering if I had a dual language SVCD broken up on two mono tracks, would this player know how to play it back correctly? Some I have seen will only play SVCD audio back as Stereo and does not give the option to do “left channel only” or “Right channel only”.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wish I were home as I have this DVD player. I think you can go into the setup, and tell it to output the PCM sound as MONO, but I'm not sure you'd be able to then tell the machine to output LEFT only or RIGHT only when it detects an SVCD.

One of the advantages of SVCD over VCD is that it can have two separate stereo audio tracks, containing different languages ... Why was your SVCD encoded with audio as if it were VCD? If you made this SVCD yourself, you may want to demux the audio, separate the LEFT channel from the RIGHT channel, create two dual-channel tracks from them and remultiplex/re-burn back to SVCD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi Antny,

The reason I want to brake the Stereo audio down into two diffrent tracks is because most Chinese SVCDs are like that. To encoded a whole new audio channel takes up space on a CD, when you could do exactly what VCD does and have two mono channels with diffrent languages. SVCD specs allow for up to 4 mono channels for sound so I would hope most players support this. Does this only work for VCDs in this player?

Others (But not all) players I have seen let you press the "audio" button and scroll from "stereo1/L1/L2/Stereo2/L2/R2" when playing an SVCD
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for jogging my memory with that last statement! This player will let you do that, but just for the four possible MPEG audio channels (on my homebrew SVCDs, every MPEG audio stream is a Dolby Surround downmix) ... but since I don't have a Chinese SVCD to test, I can't confirm it working the way you want ...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well, SVCD spec is 2 stereo channels or 4 mono channels. As long as you can positivly say that you can do left 1, right 1, left 2, right 2, Plus the option to have ether channel stereo, I'l be happy It dosn't matter if you encoded that way. If you press the audio button it should still cycle through the channels... Just the left mono and right mono for each track should sound pretty similar LOL

So is that the case?

Thanks a bunch! I really appreciate it!

PS: Do you have any SVCD problems at all? or does everything conform to the SVCD specs to the letter? No pauses/dropouts/sync/bitrate limit issues?
    Quote Quote