VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can I get pointed to previous posts, guides, websites, googleGroups postings?

I can't get too much information, so give me a link if you have any please.

I'm capturing videotape in MPEG-1, and I've been using tmpgEnc for months working with image filters while making VCD's bitrate. Windows 98SE. I make VCD and XVCD. [thanx Doug mazinz@aol.com 's Dazzle capture guide!]

I'm talking about the squiggles on the top and bottom of the screen on a video that has been dubbed one too many times. Like to bar that off with black, or I guess make a different framesize and then adjust to VCD standard again? I think either option would get me started.

First-hand experience with the Sima "Sima SCC* digital color corrector and copyguard eliminator" -or- a cheap stabilizer -or- maybe a hardware Time Base Corrector would be most interesting.

In the future, I'll be trying VirtualDub, there are supposed to be filters to fix this, after capturing in AVI with virtual dub I can fix it at some point (?) while making MPEGs, although I am not at this stage yet I would like some information, thanks....

Thanks for reading, THANK YOU guide writers here at vcdhelp! I have been having lots of fun with my collection of old videos I recorded from cable and broadcast, and sharing the rare ones in the binaries groups.

kingsley
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VirtualDub will do what you want, as long as you set it up BEFORE you start your capture. When you run VirtualDub, click FILE, then CAPTURE AVI to get into capture mode. Now click VIDEO, CROPPING, SET BOUNDS and you will see your source image. Then you can use the Y1 and Y2 offset to bring the top/borrom of the image in. When you click OK click VIDEO, CROPPING and ENABLE. That will enable cropping for any captures you do.

The only downside is that it does NOT remember this setting, you have to go back and set it every time. Hope that helps.

Regards,

Savant
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Savant, that was a good answer. I'm saving it for when I do Virtual Dub captures.

Nobody gives mpeg advice, so I'm going to go around elsewhere. I've gotten tired of searching before I posted here. Oh well.

I'll check back if anyone has advice.

Thanks for reading.
    k
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Answering my own question, the answer for MPEG for adding black on the top and bottom while keeping it VCD.

Using TMPGEnc, on the settings advanced tab the Clip is the right thing to use.

And here is what ASHY wrote:

Quite simple.
    Open TMPG and click the 'setting' button. Click the advanced tab then choose 'clip frame' in the filter options. Find a suitable place in your movie with the slider then use the boxes below it to clip your movie.
    When clipping the top and the bottom don't tick the 'Resized image is used to display preview' option.
    When clipping left and right then enable this option to see how your final movie will look.

ASHY
    Quote Quote