VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am new to video capture and want to capture high quality video. I want to capture from my Sony Hi8 camcorder, and VHS player if possible. I am looking for the best capture card. I am not sure about formats, just want quality. I have a small hardrive, so will need a dedicated one. How much will a harddrive cost me that can store 2 hours of digital video? I then want to edit in Premeire and create either VHS or VCD. I have heard about the Pinnacle Studio Deluxe, DV-Hollywood Bridge, and Canupus ADC 100, but don't know much about anyone of them. What other suggestions? Like to keep the card cost below $400. I have a slow computer (P3 850Mgz) so mabybe I need a card that will render itself?

Thanks-

Chris
    Quote Quote  
  2. I just found out the ADVC-100 is firewire, and I don't have a firewire card, so I guess that is out unless firewire is cheap. Is it?

-Chris
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, firewire cards are cheap. About $20, I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Firewire may be cheap, but it won't be of any use to you.
    Firewire transfer is for digital camcorders. Unless you want to get rid of your Hi-8 and buy a miniDV or D8 camera you'll need to use an analog capture card...

Jane
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    jane_caldwell,

Firewire card will work with Canupus ADC 100, that converts analog video and audio signals into DV stream. Just read the previous messages.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Khizhiy,
    I was referring to a standalone firewire card (cheap $20 ones), not the integrated cards such as the Canopus ADC which have analog inputs...
    Sorry for the confusion, I should have made that clear.
    Jane
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using an ATI All In Wonder Radeon, for about two years. It works great, for capturing from my brother's Hi8 camcorder. You can pick up one of the newer versions for under $400.

The size of your hard drive is going to depend on how you plan on editing your video footage. If you're unsure, the bigger the better. Don't forget that you need space on your hard drive for the edited video, as well as the original captured footage.
    Quote Quote  
  8. nm
    Last edited by coloradocowboy; 20th Jun 2011 at 23:53.
    Quote Quote