VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was able to backup a few DVDs by inputting Avisynth script into Vdub and then adding audio in MP3.

The video quality, as perceived, was excellent and had none of the 'defects' of the original, but had a tough time syncing audio/video. In some movies, I just could not do it.

The Avisynth script had only 4 commands

Code:
    …
    LancZosResize(640,480)
    QTGMC(Preset="Fast")
    SRestore()
    SmoothTweak(Brightness=1,Contrast=0.9)
    Is there some solution?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did the audio come from the same source as the video?

What program did you use the append the segments of the DVD, what container did you store them in and what avisynth filter did you use to decode them with?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for reply.

Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    Did the audio come from the same source as the video?

What program did you use the append the segments of the DVD, what container did you store them in and what avisynth filter did you use to decode them with?

Yes, audio from same source was used after conversion to MP3.

The following programs were used:

- DGIndex to create d2v file
    - Avisynth script for correction in video
    - VirtualDub to run Avisybth script
    Code:
    SetMemoryMax[512)
    loadplugin("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\DGDecode.dll")
    loadplugin("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\Decomb.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\mt_masktools-25.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\NNEDI3.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\SmoothAdjust.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\MVTools2.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\GScript.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\Grunt.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\Average.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\NicAudio.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\RemoveGrainSSE2.dll")
    Import("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\SRestore.avsi")
    Import("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\QTGMC-3.33.avsi")
    Import("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\LimitedSharpenFaster.avsi")

MPEG2Source("<path>\<movie>.d2v")
    LancZosResize(640,480)   
    QTGMC(Preset="Fast")
    SRestore()
    SmoothTweak(Brightness=1,Contrast=0.9)
    LimitedSharpenFaster()
    - VOBEdit to extract audio track (could not do with any other tool)
    - VideoToVideo for ac3 audio track conversion to MP3
    - MKVMerge

AVI format
    Two movies saved with added delay for audio in VirtualDub.

Another two saved in MKV container using MKVMerge by stretching video to match duration.

Pl refer to https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/363675-How-do-you-make-a-NTSC-interlaced-DVD-video-...24#post2476824.

I was getting extremely good guidance on the above thread but gave up after too many 'Very old thread' warnings.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ConverterCrazy View Post
    Code:
    LancZosResize(640,480)   
    QTGMC(Preset="Fast")
    Srestore()
    Brilliant way to totally screw up a video.
    I pass.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    He's right and is referring (I think) to you doing the resize before making it progressive with QTGMC/SRestore. However, he's also wrong because if the source is NTSC, even if it's interlaced before the resize, the height hasn't been changed and no damage occurs. However, it's still a very good idea to make your videos progressive before resizing anything. Please correct me, LMotlow, if I misinterpreted what you wrote.

Now, if you used DGIndex to make the D2V file, didn't you also get the audio at the same time? So, what was the point of using VOBEdit? Did the DGIndex produced audio have a delay in the name? If so, did you take it into account when when converting to MP3 and/or muxing?

I find the rest of your workflow kind of screwy so I can't comment at what stage your audio got out of synch. The video length after SRestore should be the same as when you started, if your scripts are complete. Is it?

Is the audio off by the same amount all the way through? If so, setting a delay can easily fix it. Or does the delay get worse as the video plays? If so, the audio (or possibly the video) length got changed at some point and you should check the lengths at each stage to figure out where.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    The resize blends fields, QGTMC creates duplicate and near-duplicate frames with ghosting and really crappy line twitter and aliasing on diagonals, then SRestore removes half the frames and sets fps to 23.976. If the DVD is a movie it probably isn't interlaced anyway. Even if telecined, the telecined frames display the same defects as described.

Why should anyone have to describe this to people who know better?

result on motion
    Last edited by LMotlow; 22nd Feb 2017 at 17:23.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Do you even have any idea what you're talking about? You're showing a picture of a video that was resized vertically which I don't believe is happening here. And your mis-understanding of what SRestore and QTGMC do isn't even worth discussing seriously.

If the DVD is a movie it probably isn't interlaced anyway. Even if telecined, the telecined frames display the same
    Yes, the original source would have been progressive. But the field-blending made it very interlaced. And, if field-blended, it wasn't telecined. That's why a bobber such as QTGMC combined with SRestore are used in the first place - to unblend field-blended sources. If you have a better solution to this all-to-common problem (you don't), then let's have it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    So let the dumb cluck damage his videos, bro, vertical, horizontal, or whatnot. Low quality blurry crap with combing, half the frames thrown out, just the ticket for this site. Typical of the poor quality around here, which is why so many old pros don't show up any more.
    This is such a waste of time.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 22nd Feb 2017 at 21:58.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    What is it with some participants around here lately? This is not VideoDaddy or VideoWhinge. It's VideoHelp and if you don't feel like helping, maybe you should remember where the door is instead of spewing poison.
    Quote Quote  
  10. First things first.
    Very sorry for error in script.

Correct script:

Code:
    SetMemoryMax[512) 
    loadplugin("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\DGDecode.dll")
    loadplugin("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\Decomb.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\mt_masktools-25.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\NNEDI3.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\SmoothAdjust.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\MVTools2.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\GScript.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\Grunt.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\Average.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\NicAudio.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\RemoveGrainSSE2.dll")
    Import("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\SRestore.avsi")
    Import("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\QTGMC-3.33.avsi")
    Import("C:\Hybrid\avisynthPlugins\LimitedSharpenFaster.avsi")

QTGMC() # preset not used to get the best results though it took 16 hours or more on my old hardware
    SRestore()
    #SmoothTweak(Brightness=1,Contrast=0.9) ## used where I found the output video was dark & correction was needed
    #LimitedSharpenFaster() ## used where I thought correction was needed

Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Originally Posted by ConverterCrazy View Post
    Code:
    LancZosResize(640,480)   
    QTGMC(Preset="Fast")
    Srestore()
    I pass.
    Do you really think so… even after the correction in script with comments?

I have the re-encoded videos without the defects—blurring and VenetianBlinds during panning of camera—in the original DVD!

Also, I don't understand the technical parts like blending/un-blending, etc. I could use Handbrake to do the job, but it did not correct the above two defects.

Even my worst conversion job has not the look of the picture you have posted.

@manono

Despite my best efforts, I could not extract audio with DGIndex
    nor am able to cut VOB file for uploading here

Pl let me know if I need to post some other info.
    Quote Quote  
  11. P.S

The original has FR of 29.97. After running the script, it is at 25 in the output video (displayed in Video>Framerate of VirtualDub also).
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    I spent a handful of years cruising at Videohelp, picking up on a ton of information about creating high quality video. That was back then. I never signed up until it became obvious that searching the Videohelp archives via Google was a pain in the butt. So I finally signed up to facilitate searching the archives about how to make better video in posts from the folks at Videohelp. But what I signed into two years ago wasn't Videohelp any more. By then it was Mediocrity Central. Glad you feel nourished with this pablum, JV, but this ain't Videohelp any more, it's YouTube High. Thank goodness there's still several years of archives to go through. Occasionally I browse the current posts. But doing that too often can ruin your enthusiasm for working with video.

Yeah, that image I posted was resized PAL. So manono is correct, it was also resized vertically. Not a good example, then. But if I'd posted the same 640x480 of the same frame from an NTSC vid, I don't think anyone here would notice how badly blurred the motion was. That sort of thing is a lost skill hereabouts. It's a long way downhill in such a short time. Sorry to be critical about quality, JV. I sometimes lose sight of the fact that this is the wrong website for that sort of thing.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Sorry to be critical about quality, JV. I sometimes lose sight of the fact that this is the wrong website for that sort of thing.
    So, just out of curiosity, what forum or website do people of your advanced skill level and understanding go to? That site must be really, really good, and quite special. I'd love to participate.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Sorry to be critical about quality, JV. I sometimes lose sight of the fact that this is the wrong website for that sort of thing.
    So, just out of curiosity, what forum or website do people of your advanced skill level and understanding go to? That site must be really, really good, and quite special. I'd love to participate.
    Yes. Am curious too.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    But if I'd posted the same 640x480 of the same frame from an NTSC vid, I don't think anyone here would notice how badly blurred the motion was.
    I was agreeing with you that the resize should go after the QTGMC/SRestore step. And recommended that ConverterCrazy do it the same way. Since you didn't explain what you were getting at, I tried my best to. And then you went and posted a completely irrelevant picture that proves nothing except what? That it's 'fake news', to use a recently popular phrase? With a source as badly screwed up as any with blended fields, I doubt this blurring of which you speak would be very noticeable. But, since I unblend before resizing anyway, I don't care to test.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Thanks for the tip @manono
    Quote Quote  
  17. @manono

At last was able to extract audio tracks from VOB files! (I had messed up settings in Options tab of DGIndex)

Read and re-read DGIMeg docs and corrected (unticked all except log setting).

Audio in synch and venetian blurring is almost removed.
    Sample clips attached.

Please comment.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  18. Comment? Well, the source is very blocky and you should probably use an unblocker, one such as. Deblock_QED

The whites are kind of blown in the source. I didn't check if you fixed that. And x264 video isn't usually put into the AVI container. More common is MP4 or MKV with AAC audio rather than MP3. On the bright side, it seems to have been unblended properly.
    Quote Quote  
  19. That's encouraging.

The source is very bad indeed. The original movie was 4:3, but in DVD the Top - and probably Bottom too - has been chopped off mercilessly to fit in 720x480 resolution.

Well, I'm learning. Reading on Deblock_QED and where to put it in the script.
    Also found this https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/360678-Filter-white-specks-with-Avisynth to deal with white blowups.

So, for better results, I will use Fast Recompress in VurtualDub, then re-encode video with codec x263 for AVI container and x264 for MP4/MKV container.

The DVD has 29.97fps, but after running the script, it is 25fps. Is it normal or I should address?

Thanks.
    Sword is no substitute for kitchen-knife.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by ConverterCrazy View Post
    That's for removing white spots or specks. I'm referring to the contrast being set too high. You can fix that by lowering the contrast.
    The DVD has 29.97fps, but after running the script, it is 25fps. Is it normal or I should address?
    It's normal as the source for the DVD was from PAL land and was badly converted for NTSC DVD. You're just returning it to the original framerate used by the PAL source.

You can leave it alone, or you can slow it to film speed (and slow the audio also) or, if for another NTSC DVD you'll have to make it output 29.97fps again, by applying some sort of pulldown after encoding it.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Thanks.
    Sword is no substitute for kitchen-knife.
    Quote Quote