VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello to everyone,

I've been reading a lot on the forums and have read feedback from buyers on Amazon and Newegg but now I'm more confused than ever.
    I got a LG VHS combo device that on the paper says it can transfer tapes to DVD but the result is just horrible.
    Also I got a Pioneer DVD recorder with hard drive and Hi8 and MiniDV cameras.

This is what I would like to buy but if you guys think that I'm wrong, please say so.

I would like an internal PC card which can "hardware" compress the video and transfer it to computer.
    The card also should have the option to transfer RAW videos and a plus would be a TV and Radio capabilities, am I asking too much?

I looked at the Colossus 2 and I know that it doesn't allow watching the video in real time while working on it.
    I'm a bit confused here because I just need to see the video on the monitor and work on it so real time watching is not important as long as I can see the video so I can edit it.

Also I've looked at the Avermedia C027 but comments by users are so conflicting and confusing.
    One thing seems sure is that it needs a proprietary software which is not good.

Are external boxes (must have hardware compressing) a good alternative?
    What do you think about this Honestech VHS to DVD 8.0?
    What do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Before you spend a lot of money, do you have appropriate expectations for the result? Legacy analog video was designed to be viewed on a tiny screen across a living room. Put it on a high-resolution progressive display in front of your face and it falls far short of what we have grown accustomed to. Adding insult to injury, VHS achieves barely two-thirds of legacy video's potential resolution. It always looks a bit crap on modern displays.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by tried View Post
    I got a LG VHS combo device that on the paper says it can transfer tapes to DVD but the result is just horrible.
    If you used the highest quality setting on the DVD recorder (1 hour per DVD) the results you'll get with thousands of dollars of equipment will only be marginally better.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for suggestions,
    however, do you guys have any experience with internal or external capture devices, if so what do you recommend?
    Quote Quote