VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello

I have video MXF files on my computer that I need to edit.
    Each MXF folder contains the following files:
    CIF file
    XML document
    MXF file
    SIF file

Can anyone suggest how I should go about editing these- which programme to use and whether I need to convert the folder/files before I edit?

Thanks,

Louise
    Quote Quote  
  2. Download the trial version of Premiere Pro.

These are probably from a Canon camera. The xml indicates folders may contain spanned clips.
    Load the entire file structure into Premiere and determine the actual properties of the video files (XDCam, AVCHD, etc.) MediaInfo will also work, but Premiere will tell you more in this case.

If you can get the job done in less than the trial period (30 days I believe) Just continue working in Premiere.

Once you know the actual properties of the video files report them back here if you need further options.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Download the trial version of Premiere Pro.

These are probably from a Canon camera. The xml indicates folders may contain spanned clips.
    Load the entire file structure into Premiere and determine the actual properties of the video files (XDCam, AVCHD, etc.) MediaInfo will also work, but Premiere will tell you more in this case.

If you can get the job done in less than the trial period (30 days I believe) Just continue working in Premiere.

Once you know the actual properties of the video files report them back here if you need further options.
    Thanks so much smrpix! I will update if I find out more about the properties
    Quote Quote  
  4. In the meantime- do you know if there is a way I can view the video clips prior to starting the free trial of Premiere Pro?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    use ffmpeg to convert to a lossless or frameserve it via pipe. (note: i'm not a "pipe" expert, so someone else will have to answer that if it becomes how-to question from you)

the code below will convert the mxf file into a UT code video file:

Code:
    ffmpeg "mxf_file.mxf" -vcodec utvideo -pix_fmt yuv422p -an -y "output_mxf_file.avi"
    or, to "cut" a small sample to test, (because your file may be a huge mxf) use the following w/ { -t timecode } in ffmpeg

Code:
    ffmpeg -t 00:00:10 -i "mxf_file.mxf" -vcodec utvideo -pix_fmt yuv422p -an -y "output_mxf_file.avi"
    where
    { -an } means to exclude the audio in the conversion
    { -t timecode } means to "cut" the first 10 seconds out of the mxf file and convert it to UT codec video. the -t and -ss format is hh:mm:ss.milisec, ie 01h:15m:5s.2milisec

this cutting method cuts at the beginning of the mxf file. if you want to cut in some mid section (to test) then u have to add the { -ss timecode } position parameter.

be warned that converting a huge file may take a long time to complete. that is why i gave you the "cut" option--to give you the opportunity to taste this alternative method.

see the documentation for more info on that -ss and -t and other usage.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by louisedenham View Post
    In the meantime- do you know if there is a way I can view the video clips prior to starting the free trial of Premiere Pro?
    It depends on what kind of mxf files they are.
    MPC-HC plays most of the common types of video files. Switch Video player, free from telestream plays most mxf files. It's useful so I keep it around, but a little clunky for my taste.
    Quote Quote