VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I have a video file my friend asked me to put on DVD. This usually wouldn't be an issue, except it is:

MP4

and

640x480 (Which is not DVD spec, right?)

is it possible to make a DVD of this and not have it be all stretched out? Not sure the best way to go about it.

I have FCP 7 with DVDSP and Compressor, which I normally use for such things

I also have MPEG Stream Clip and MPEG 2 works.

I know I can make a data disc and just put the MPEG 4 on there and my blu-ray player will play it, but I was asked to make a DVD. How do I go about doing that while having it look like it is supposed to look (Preserving the ratio). Is that even possible?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Possible... I'm just imagining all I'd have to do if I had that file is to drag and drop it into DVDStyler and press go... and am wondering why the hell you'd even bother to ask...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It seemed to work by doing NTSC DVD 4:3 in MPEG2 Works as well. I agreed to do it before I knew what it was is why
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    640x480 is 4:3, it would be flagged as having square pixels in the MP4. Any program that looked at that file and added black borders to make it 720x480 4:3 would have to be an outdated piece of crap.

Sorry, but you were overcomplicating things. DVDs are animorphic 4:3, look it up. Any program worth its salt should recognise non-anamorphic video and know how to convert it to an applicable output format.

To put it in perspective, if you ripped a 1920x1080 Blu Ray video and dropped it into DVD software, you wouldn't expect the program to add letterboxing to get the video to 720x480. Just because it's 640x480 doesn't mean DVD software will treat it as being special somehow.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I never said I expected it to add letter boxing. What I didn't know is whether it would stretch the 640x480 to 720x480 as I have never had to convert a file that I have put on DVD as they have always already been 720x480. So I wasn't overcomplicating anything. I just had a format that I hadn't worked in before and I hadn't done any video work at all in a few years, so I wasn't sure.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, it's not possible to make a DVD from a 640x480 video and not have it stretch it without adding black bars and screwing up the aspect ratio.

I thought you meant "make it looked stretched".

Considering you're re-encoding it, then having it be resized during playback, it's not really that significant a problem in the grander picture.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are right. It was quite simple really. I think I wasn't thinking of the reencoding and treating it like a picture file being resized, which led to my confusion
    Quote Quote