VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Using youtube-dl can you easily download videos from many sites. It has no GUI but it's not that complicated to use from the command prompt.

Software:
    youtube-dl
    ffmpeg may be required, download the [Win]-version and extract ffmpeg.exe to same folder as youtube-dl.exe.

Guide:
    Download youtube-dl and put it in for example C:\videos\youtube-dl.exe .
    Open up the Command Prompt from the Windows Start and search for Command Prompt.

Now type (you can copy and paste into the command prompt also):
    Code:
    c:\videos\youtube-dl.exe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8UZQkN52o4
    Click image for larger version

Name:	youtube-dl.png
Views:	9205
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	40554
    Replace the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8UZQkN52o4 with the video url you want to download.

The downloaded file will appear in same folder as the Command prompt (C:\Users\Username as default in Windows 7)

Done.

Last edited by Baldrick; 20th Mar 2017 at 03:57.
    Quote Quote  
  2. For some operations youtube-dl needs ffmpeg. For example to mux video and audio into a single file if they are separate streams (as is often the case with youtube). Download ffmpeg and copy the ffmpeg.exe (it's in the "bin" sub-folder) into the same directory as youtube-dl.exe.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    For some operations youtube-dl needs ffmpeg. For example to mux video and audio into a single file if they are separate streams (as is often the case with youtube). Download ffmpeg and copy the ffmpeg.exe (it's in the "bin" sub-folder) into the same directory as youtube-dl.exe.
    This may be true on Windows but on Linux all you do is youtube-dl url-to-video and done, the -k switch will allow you to keep the separate video and audio files if you so desire.
    Quote Quote  
  4. youtube-dl is so cool, allowed me to download stuff from sites many others did not, mainly non-Western site. I have a front-end for it, I made it because I download stuff for my daughter. Is it popular enough (youtube-dl) to warrant a front-end (GUI)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by video.baba View Post
    youtube-dl is so cool, allowed me to download stuff from sites many others did not, mainly non-Western site. I have a front-end for it, I made it because I download stuff for my daughter. Is it popular enough (youtube-dl) to warrant a front-end (GUI)?

There is a gui I use, but it needs python installed, which is no big deal. Here is the GUI:

Post your GUI if you like!
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  6. Marsia Mariner
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Download ffmpeg and copy the ffmpeg.exe (it's in the "bin" sub-folder) into the same directory as youtube-dl.exe.
    That's unnecessary. ffmpeg.exe can be placed "anywhere", as long as its directory is listed in the PATH environment-variable.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to input YouTube video URLs into MPC-HC media player. It works with SVPtube but that program rarely works for me, so I am wanting something more reliable as a method. I've also been looking at SMTube which has a settings page with the option to launch external players like MPC-HC, and it has one text entry box for inputting parameters. This program also supports youtube-dl but I am not sure how to get it working with MPC-HC. It works fine with the other players in its list, but I need MPC-HC because that supports my Broadcom BCM970015 video decoder card. So does anyone here have any ideas or instructions they can offer please?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Following the directions on suggested video (on this site), I downloaded youtube-dl and installed Python 2.7.13

I created a file folder on my desktop called youtube-dl and put the youtube-dl.exe in the folder.

After opening the command prompt in the youtube-dl folder, I try to download a youtube video as test, using this syntax:

Name:	error message.jpg
Views:	5652
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	40928

I keep getting this error. Is there something I am missing?

TIA
    Quote Quote  
  9. It seems there is no youtube-dl.exe in the folder. Did you download the actual Windows binary from the youtube-dl website or something else? Some are for non-Windows platforms.

Enter the command "dir" to show all files in the folder.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I usually do youtube-dl.exe -f (youtube url) to list the streams. then I do youtube-dl.exe -F (stream#) (youtube url). if you pick the MP4 stream will have to run again to grab the stand alone audio. a drop into mkvtoolnix makes it complete.
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  11. -F is for the list, -f is to download
    Together with ffmpeg youtube-dl can mux automatically. You can also set preferred stream resolutions and codecs. (See the doc)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My bad, I usually mix them up at first then realize the capitalization afterwards lol
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	2059
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	40929
    It is an application. Isn't this the correct file? I used the download link from videohelp.com tools.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Rename it to youtube-dl.exe then.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    I tried renaming it to youtube-dl.exe. Same error message.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Rename it to youtube-dl then. Because you are hiding the .exe extension so it was probably named youtube-dl.exe.exe.

Or try a youtube-dl frontend instead like dlnow video downloader, youtube-dl-gui, stream gulper, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    I had double named it youtube.exe.exe. Taking out the extra exe it finally worked. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  18. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM

I have named the youtube-dl direct download from www.videohelp.com/software/youtube-dl to just "youtube-dl.exe" now. Old versions are named youtube-dl-date.exe.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I have named the youtube-dl direct download from www.videohelp.com/software/youtube-dl to just "youtube-dl.exe" now. Old versions are named youtube-dl-date.exe.
    I've been renaming the old ones as "youtube-dl.exe.old1" (old2, old3, etc), but I suppose the date would make more sense if I ever wanted to revert to a specific old version.
    Do or do not. There is no "try." - Yoda
    Quote Quote  
  20. One can use chocolately to simplify(?) installation and upgrade.
    https://chocolatey.org/

I'd like to add that youtube-dl accepts passing in user ID and password from the command line. This is optional for youtube, but essential for downloading from sites like NicoNico. This feature is missing from most if not all the youtube-dl frontend GUI
    Stopping development until someone save me from poverty or get me out of Hong Kong...
    Twitter @MaverickTse
    Quote Quote  
  21. Can you give the exact youtube-dl code example that shows how to download a sample from NicoNico? If there is user id and password, just put x's in place of the user id and y's in place of the password.
    Quote Quote  
  22. from the help
    Authentication Options:
    -u, --username USERNAME Login with this account ID
    -p, --password PASSWORD Account password. If this option is left out, youtube-dl will ask interactively.
    -2, --twofactor TWOFACTOR Two-factor authentication code
    -n, --netrc Use .netrc authentication data
    --video-password PASSWORD Video password (vimeo, smotri, youku)
    Example:
    Code:
    youtube-dl -u your_id -p your_pwd video_URL
    Stopping development until someone save me from poverty or get me out of Hong Kong...
    Twitter @MaverickTse
    Quote Quote  
  23. Hey yall, long time no post, but I thought I would toss out my handy batch files for youtube-dl.
    They fill in some command line options to add d/l progress and make a useful video title.

Here is a list of all files:
    Code:
    // try to download a specific (max.) size
    youtube-dl-480.bat
    youtube-dl-720.bat
    youtube-dl-1080.bat

// download best available
    youtube-dl-best.bat

// download audio only
    youtube-dl-audio.bat

// open video thumbnails in browser
    // NOTE: you must set the browser path (should work with any browser)
    youtube-dl-imgs.bat
    Available on my DropBox folder (click 'Download' to get all as 5KB ZIP file)
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5dby6zhfmgy0d1q/AABljLDl3PXaSe6lkfr3_WeOa?dl=0

Here's one as an example:
    Code:
    @echo off

:: ===================================
    :: THIS FILE 
    :: downloads a video @ 720p resolution (or lower)
    :: accepts full URLs 
    ::    (including non-YouTube URLs e.e. Twitch, Twitter)
    :: or YouTube identifier only

:: BATCH FILE USAGE: 
    :: * add youtube-dl install folder to Windows PATH
    :: * add these batch files to install folder
    :: * open a command prompt in your download folder
    ::    (protip: and keep it open)
    :: * type a batch file name + file ID or URL, e.g.
    ::     youtube-dl-720 dQw4w9WgXcQ
    ::   or 
    ::     youtube-dl-720 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
    :: ===================================

:: full URL, no quotes (auto split on '=')
    if not (%2)==() SHIFT

@echo on
    youtube-dl.exe --no-mtime --console-title ^
    -o "%%(title)s (%%(uploader)s) -%%(height)s v=%%(id)s.%%(ext)s" ^
    -f "best[height<=?720]+bestaudio[ext=m4a]/best[ext=mp4]/best" ^
    -- %1
    @echo off
    :: pause
    goto :EOF
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which Youtube- dl download asks for a "coffee" as payment ? I've used it successfully with the .bbc4 files and it saved the files as mp4s ! I had the error 403 warning at first, but if I left it running, it came up with that same warning four times and then downloaded the video. I've lost the file and can't find that version that asks for a coffee ! I'd like to buy him a couple !
    Quote Quote  
  25. Withdrawn
    Last edited by ConverterCrazy; 14th Jul 2020 at 07:18. Reason: Withdrawn
    Sword is no substitute for kitchen-knife.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by raffriff42 View Post
    Hey yall, long time no post, but I thought I would toss out my handy batch files for youtube-dl.
    They fill in some command line options to add d/l progress and make a useful video title.

Here is a list of all files:

// download audio only
    youtube-dl-audio.bat

Available on my DropBox folder (click 'Download' to get all as 5KB ZIP file)
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5dby6zhfmgy0d1q/AABljLDl3PXaSe6lkfr3_WeOa?dl=0
    I get the audio file in .m4a format. I want to download only the audio which was re-mastered and uploaded to you tube in " opus " 32 bit format. I don't need the video portion.
    Could you please help me to create a batch file to serve my purpose. I want the audio in same opus 32 bit without any modification / alteration.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote