VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

This will be my first try and I need some advise and guidance. My knowledge in software and hardware is not bad.

I have some ripped BD movies, some are with mulit m2ts files and some with a single m2ts file. I need to convert and re-encode the ripped BD movies to x264 mkv format so I can reduce the size with minimal video quality loss but with lossless HD audio.

I need to know the best encoding software with the best settings and if my PC is capable to handle the above task.

Mid 2011 iMac (Win10 Pro through bootcamp) with the following specs:
    • Quad Core 2.5 GHz Intel "Core i5" I5-2400S (Sandy Bridge) processor with a dedicated 256k level 2 cache for each core and a 6 MB shared level 3 cache
    • 20 GB of RAM (1333 MHz PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM)
    • AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics with 512 MB of dedicated GDDR5 memory
    • Samsung 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 256 GB SATA 6GB/s Solid State Drive
    • Secondary 500 GB (7200 RPM) hard Drive
    Quote Quote  
  2. Use MakeMKV simpel program for blu ray to mkv and fast....
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If they're Blu Ray and movies then that generally means simple 23.976 1080p.

If all you want is an x264 encoded mkv handbrake will do. You really don't need anything special for what you're trying to do.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Theodor View Post
    Use MakeMKV simpel program for blu ray to mkv and fast....
    Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    If they're Blu Ray and movies then that generally means simple 23.976 1080p.

If all you want is an x264 encoded mkv handbrake will do. You really don't need anything special for what you're trying to do.
    Thank you guys for your recommendation...

I did a sample re-encoding of 2 min using HandBrake ver. 1.0.2 - 64-bit.

Here is the original ripped BD media info...

Code:
    Video
    ID                                       : 4113 (0x1011)
    Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
    Format                                   : AVC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                           : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames                : 4 frames
    Codec ID                                 : 27
    Duration                                 : 1 h 39 min
    Bit rate mode                            : Variable
    Maximum bit rate                         : 33.0 Mb/s
    Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
    Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
    Frame rate                               : 24.000 FPS
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Scan type                                : Progressive
    and here is the media info for the encoded sample...

Code:
    Video
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : AVC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                           : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames                : 4 frames
    Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration                                 : 2 min 0 s
    Bit rate                                 : 3 016 kb/s
    Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
    Height                                   : 816 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 2.35:1
    Frame rate mode                          : Constant
    Frame rate                               : 24.000 FPS
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Scan type                                : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.080
    Stream size                              : 43.1 MiB (98%)
    Writing library                          : x264 core 148 r2708 86b7198
    Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=22.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=62500 / vbv_bufsize=78125 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Default                                  : Yes
    Forced                                   : No
    Color range                              : Limited
    Color primaries                          : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709
    The screen shots shows the HandBrake setting I used... The sample turned out OK. I will do the whole movie and will use MKVToolNix to merge the looseless audio with the encoded mkv.

Any comments or suggestions will be highly appreciated.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-14_1-57-42.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	40556  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-14_1-58-06.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	40557  

Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1: Turn off decomb, you don't need it and it can only degrade the quality of the video.
    2: You might as well set "encoder tune" to "film" or "animation" depending on what movie you're encoding.
    3: If you don't know, slower encoder presets can lower the bitrate and improve lines slightly
    4: If you don't know, lowering the RF (CRF) will increase the quality of the output
    5: Handbrake has DTS-HD passthrough and TrueHD passthrough, plus it can copy subtitles from m2ts to MKV... why do you feel the need to only encode the video and add the rest later? It seems an unnecessary step, especially consider Handbrake is capable of "Foreign Audio Scan" to remove forced subtitles from the main subtitle track to their own track, (which is actually necessary for Matroska compliant playback) where MKVToolNix isn't.

6: If you find a Bu Ray where MediaInfo says anything other than 23.976 progressive, Handbrake may not be enough (especially with standard settings), post a sample on the forum and we'll see what's what.
    Last edited by ndjamena; 14th Feb 2017 at 03:13.
    Quote Quote  
  6. @ndjamena

1: Got it.
    2: Got it. You mean "Encoder Tune", right?
    3: Do you mean slower than Medium? Any specific range, Slow, Slower, VerySlow or Placebo?
    4: I chose 22 because it was the default and it's the range between 20 to 23 for HD sources. So which number do you recommend?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-14_9-41-03.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	40562

5: I will give DTS-HD passthrough try in HandBrake.
    6: The FPS of my sample is 24.000 Progressive as you can see from the media info in my above post, do you think it's much different than 23.976 and as you said HandBrake might not be enough?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    2: corrected
    3: I just thought I'd mention it in case you didn't know. Your final choices are up to you.
    4: Same as 3.
    6: 23.976fps is the American 24fps (24/1.001) so yes, they're exactly the same thing... I've never actually encountered an actual 24fps Blu Ray but knew they were in the specs... The problems I was trying to hint at is that once you leave the 24fps area all other Blu Ray 1080 frame rates are interlaced and sadly movies exist that are encoded as 29.976i... I just thought I'd mention it just in case...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Cool, I will experiment it tonight when I get back home and will report back.
    Quote Quote  
  9. You may also want to make sure that Handbrake encodes using a constant Framerate - video encoded with variable framerates appear to cause problems with some players. (that's how it's set in your screen grabs above, but it's worth getting into the habit of checking.) Have fun!
    Quote Quote  
  10. @TimA-C

Thank you for the heads-up...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Bad news.

In Win 10 Pro 64-bit, I setup HandBrake and Started Encoding, it started successfully and was showing an ETA of 3.5 hrs, I left the PC and came to it after about 1.5 hr I found it restarted itself! I thought maybe the Win OS can't handle it.

I switched to OSX and did the setup and started encoding, same thing started successfully with almost same ETA, left the PC and came to it after about 2 hrs to find the same issue, the PC restarted itself.

What do you think the cause is?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Over-heating would be my first guess. I remember Handbrake used to crash when I was using it, I discovered it only happened after I'd been playing SC2. If it's possible you could try underclocking and see if that fixes the problem, or download process lasso and see if throttling the Handbrake CLI helps.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I also think it's over heating due to the full throttle of the CPU...

I found this workaround somewhere in the net...

FIDELIS
    December 16, 2011 at 7:36 am
    Hello, also you might want to check the cooling factor in your computer. Regardless of how much processor usage there is, a computer wouldn't usually turn off when it is under heavy processor load. It would slow down drastically but not shut down. Make sure your cooler for CUP is not covered with dust and dust bunnies and if possible, remove cooler and replace the thermal paste in between processor and cooler. Also, how much RAM is there in the system?

Now with regards to the use of CPUs, you could try setting the program to encode with only one core by doing the following:

-- open handbrake
    -- add the source file
    -- select your overall settings
    -- click on Advanced tab
    -- add the following text to the end of entry in box at bottom of advance settings without leaving a space

:threads=1

-- click on start

Also, make sure that when encoding, only use your computer for the encoding and nothing else. Do not run any other application or use the computer for anything else.
    I tried it and with the ":threads=1" command I can control the CPU usage, =1 uses one core, =2 uses two cores and so on...

I will give it a try, will set it to use 3 cores and see.
    Quote Quote