VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone,
    Is there an Internal CD / DVD / Blu-Ray / 4K Blu-Ray player & burner for PC?

I have a superb LG Model: LG BH14NS40 14X SATA Blu-ray BDXL Internal Rewriter.

I contacted the LG factory technician and he said it will not play 4K blu-Ray movie disks ..........and they do not know of an internal player that does.
    But they were told by the LG engineers that there will be one available - soon.

Any ideas?

Thanks one and all.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Pioneer has announced such drives.
    http://pioneer.jp/corp/news/press/index/2064

But: there is still no software to play or otherwise use UltraHD Blu-ray for the PC (new PowerDVD has been announced, though). So I'd recommend to just sit back and wait for now.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are right. I will just wait.

All the best-est!
    andy
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Additional hardware and software requirements:

1. 4k monitor or TV with HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2
    2. Windows 10
    3. 6GB RAM
    4. A Kaby Lake Core i5 or a Kaby Lake Core i7.
    5. HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 on the motherboard because the drives will use the integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 GPU of the Intel Core processors for Ultra HD Blu-ray content. HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 on the motherboard is uncommon because it is not native to Kaby Lake. It requires the addition of an LSPCON (level shifter protocol converter) on the motherboard.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info.

Lets see:
    1. 4k monitor or TV with HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 I have a Display Port. I have HDMI - not HDMI 2.0a

2. Windows 10 Have this

3. 6GB RAM Have this

4. A Kaby Lake Core i5 or a Kaby Lake Core i7. I have INTEL Core i7 4770 Haswell Quad-Core.3.4GHz. Is this OK?

5. HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 on the motherboard because the drives will use the integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 GPU of the Intel Core processors for Ultra HD Blu-ray content. HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 on the motherboard is uncommon because it is not native to Kaby Lake. It requires the addition of an LSPCON (level shifter protocol converter) on the motherboard.
    I do not have this. Could you give me examples of this motherboard? Where do I get a LSPCON?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by andy jackson View Post
    4. A Kaby Lake Core i5 or a Kaby Lake Core i7. I have INTEL Core i7 4770 Haswell Quad-Core.3.4GHz. Is this OK?
    No. It's about DRM. Raw CPU power can't make up for that. An add-in GPU card may be useful in the future but we don't know yet. For example Netflix 4K only runs on Kaby Lake GPU, not even Nvidia Pascal. Nvidia says new certified drivers and a Windows 10 update are needed but no yet available. So the same may be true for UltraHD Blu-ray.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by andy jackson View Post
    I do not have this. Could you give me examples of this motherboard? Where do I get a LSPCON?
    There are some Z170 and Z270 series motherboards available which have the necessary HDMI connection, but as Sneaker wrote, only a Kaby Lake CPU supports the necessary DRM. Even a Skylake CPU isn't enough.

Current motherboards which are supposed to have HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2:
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 GAMING-ITX/AC
    Biostar Z270GT9
    Biostar Z270GT8
    Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming 9
    Gigiabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming 8
    ASUS Z270WS
    ASRock ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac -- confirmed to work here

There may be others, but I haven't found them yet.

I found a better list for compatible motherboards than mine: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=13271422&postcount=108

You cannot add an LSPCON to a motherboard yourself. It must be built in by the manufacturer. ...nor will a Displayport 1.2 to HDMI 2.0a converter provide HDCP 2.2, because DisplayPort 1.2 doesn't support HDCP 2.2.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 30th Mar 2017 at 12:58. Reason: Adding more motherboards to the list
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=usually_quiet;2477095]
    but as Sneaker wrote, only a Kaby Lake CPU supports the necessary DRM. Even a Skylake CPU isn't enough.
    "In order to play Ultra HD Blu-ray discs, users are required to run Windows 10 on a PC with at least 6GB RAM and either a Core i5 or Core i7 of the Kaby Lake (7th) generation. The drives will use the integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 GPU of the Intel Core processors for Ultra HD Blu-ray content."

What ?
    Cutting out AMD (CPU/GPU) and Nvidia (GPU) ?
    Pioneer can take the biggest running jump in the lake that they can imagine managing.
    Only a deperado would really accept so much lockin ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hydra3333 View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    but as Sneaker wrote, only a Kaby Lake CPU supports the necessary DRM. Even a Skylake CPU isn't enough.
    "In order to play Ultra HD Blu-ray discs, users are required to run Windows 10 on a PC with at least 6GB RAM and either a Core i5 or Core i7 of the Kaby Lake (7th) generation. The drives will use the integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 GPU of the Intel Core processors for Ultra HD Blu-ray content."

What ?
    Cutting out AMD (CPU/GPU) and Nvidia (GPU) ?
    Pioneer can take the biggest running jump in the lake that they can imagine managing.
    Only a deperado would really accept so much lockin ?
    Any PC UHD Blu-ray drive will have the same hardware and software requirements. They are undoubtedly a condition for getting the drive licensed.

[Edit] Zen APUs won't be released until even later in the year. It is too soon to rule them out. Ryzen hasn't been released yet, either, so it is too soon to rule out a combination of a Ryzen CPU and a certified discrete graphics card. (The latest discrete graphics cards from AMD and NVIDIA haven't been totally ruled out yet. They have appropriate connections. The latest AMD and NVIDIA cards might just need new Windows 10 drivers.)
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Feb 2017 at 14:19.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1. 4k monitor or TV with HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 I have a Display Port. I have HDMI - not HDMI 2.0a
    I neglected to go into sufficient detail on this. I don't think DisplayPort is a viable option yet.

As I mentioned, DisplayPort 1.2 does not support HDCP 2.2. Intel graphics for Haswell, Skylake, and Kaby Lake only support DisplayPort 1.2. DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 do include HDCP 2.2 support. DisplayPort 1.3 is only available on the newest AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards, but as already mentioned, these cards have not yet been certified for Netflix 4K or UHD Blu-ray.

Last year I read that various companies are working on DisplayPort 1.3 monitors, but I haven't found one yet. I don't know if there are any new UHD TVs with DisplayPort 1.3. DisplayPort connections on a TV are uncommon.

New 4K/UHD TVs do have HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant connections. There are also some new 4K/UHD monitors with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 support.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I already posted a list of the requirements for UHD playback on a PC:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/379959-UHD-BD-Authoring-Tool?post#53
    Quote Quote  
  12. You list Intel SGX as required but I wouldn't be too sure of it. Netflix 4K on Windows only runs on Kaby Lake but it works even when SGX is turned off/not supported. So it might be the same for UltraHD Blu-ray.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    You list Intel SGX as required but I wouldn't be too sure of it. Netflix 4K on Windows only runs on Kaby Lake but it works even when SGX is turned off/not supported. So it might be the same for UltraHD Blu-ray.
    Did you seriously equate streaming with UHD BDs? smh
    Quote Quote  
  14. I did because Netflix 4K PC requirements where unlike anything we've seen before and seemed similar to the UltraHD Blu-ray ones. But now I see the Pioneer announcement really does mention SGX. I'll wait and see...
    Quote Quote  
  15. wait and see is right, still waiting on a sw player....
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    CyberLink PowerDVD has been already certified by the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) for playback of Ultra HD Blu-ray. Cyberlink has been releasing a new version of PowerDVD in April for the past few years, so it is likely the version of PowerDVD with UHD Blu-ray support will be released in April, or at least some time this spring.

The Pioneer UHD Blu-ray drives are supposed to be released in Japan at the end of February. There is no mention of a release date for other countries in any article I have read about them so far. The PC World article I read about them stated that they (the drives made for Japanese market) will only work with the Japanese edition of Windows 10, which means importing one from Japan won't do most of those outside of Japan any good. http://www.pcworld.com/article/3162004/windows/pioneer-reveals-the-first-4k-blu-ray-dr...s-for-pcs.html
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th Feb 2017 at 16:39. Reason: clarification
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone know if the new AMD Ryzen are going to support UHD playback the same as Kabylake
    Quote Quote  
  18. Not known. As discussed above Intel SGX has been mentioned as a possible requirement. And unlike Kaby Lake, Ryzen has no GPU.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by isapc View Post
    Does anyone know if the new AMD Ryzen are going to support UHD playback the same as Kabylake
    As far as I know, they have not been tested for compliance yet.

Zen doesn't support SGX. AMD invented their own set of instructions, which would need to be approved. Also the Kaby Lake CPUs that were approved have integrated graphics. The about to be released Ryzen CPUs apparently need a discrete graphics card or graphics supplied by chips on the motherboard. If integrated graphics are a specific requirement, the Zen APUs aren't supposed to come out until the second half of 2017.

[Edit]too slow!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pioneer has released a portable USB 3.0 UHD Blu-ray drive for the Japanese market: http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=51080

It appears that a specially modified version of PowerDVD 14 is being provided with the 3 Pioneer UHD Blu-ray drives to allow playback.

Detailed hardware and OS requirements for Ultra HD Blu-ray playback are provided in the specs. The specs list an SGX compatible 200-series motherboard with HDCP 2.2 / HDMI 2.0a output and Kaby Lake i5 or i7 (S or H series, but not U) as required.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 8th Mar 2017 at 13:53.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Old news. I posted about it yesterday in this very thread...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    You list Intel SGX as required but I wouldn't be too sure of it. Netflix 4K on Windows only runs on Kaby Lake but it works even when SGX is turned off/not supported. So it might be the same for UltraHD Blu-ray.
    Did you seriously equate streaming with UHD BDs? smh
    I know someone who has, at least on the HD level. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/380319-Netflix-Finds-x265-20-More-Efficient-than-VP9#post2458893
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would have expected the hardware requirements for Netflix 4K Streaming and UHD Blu-ray playback on a PC to be identical too, but after looking at the detailed hardware requirements for Pioneer's UHD Blu-ray drives a few days ago, it appears they overlap but are not the same.

Beyond the requirement for SGX, Pioneer's hardware requirements state that a S-series or H-series i5 or i7 Kaby Lake CPU is required and that U-series i5 or i7 Kaby Lake CPUs are incompatible. They also list a motherboard with a 200-series chipset as required.

However, there is at least one notebook with a U-series i5 or i7 Kaby Lake CPU, the Lenovo Yoga 910, which is known to work for Netflix 4K streaming. (I'm guessing this means NUCs with U-series i5 or i7 Kaby Lake CPUs and HDMI 2.0 + HDCP 2.2 will be OK too.). I've not seen any motherboard chipset requirements listed, although that doesn't mean there are none. On a side note, I looked at Netflix software requirements, and they updated the Netflix Windows 10 app to support 4K playback, so Edge is not the only choice anymore.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 10th Mar 2017 at 12:55. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    NVIDIA Pascal GPUs and AMD Polaris GPUs are not on the approved hardware list for UHD Blu Ray playback or Netflix 4K even though they support Playready 3.0, HDMI 2.0a, HDCP 2.2, and hardware HEVC decoding. I read one or more articles where the writer thought that the reason why they were not approved was that their implementation of Playready 3.0 was faulty, and a driver update would allow them to join the list of approved hardware, but it appears that won't be enough. It looks like new GPUs which support SGX (or something equivalent to it, if approved) will be required instead.

I found an article at Anandtech explaining this: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11069/pioneer-announces-ultra-hd-bluray-supporting-bdrs11j-drives

One of the peculiarities of playback via AACS2 is that it has to be supported by the whole system, not just certain critical components. This may not be a big problem for consumer electronics (even though it has its peculiarities there as well, for example, a requirement to pair a drive with its host that binds them at time of manufacture that will make lives of people who rip disks harder, but will also make it impossible to replace a failed ODD in a player), but for PCs things are going to get considerably more complicated. The content has to be encrypted using AACS2 throughout the whole data transfer from the optical disc to the decoder (i.e., the GPU for a PC) and then decoded in a secure environment. Since AACS2 mandates the use of secure environment at all times, decryption of Ultra HD Blu-ray content in a PC is now possible only on an iGPU that uses system memory with appropriate regions set aside for this particular task. Unless companies like AMD and NVIDIA invent their own SGX-like technology or manage to support Intel’s extensions in their drivers and by their discrete hardware, it will not be possible to use standalone GPUs for Ultra HD Blu-ray playback despite all their advanced media decoding capabilities.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Mar 2017 at 12:29. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  26. PowerDVD 17 with support for UltraHD Blu-ray is now available.
    https://tw.cyberlink.com/prog/company/press-news-content.do?pid=4136 (translation)
    https://heise.de/-3679415 (translation)

Specs do indeed list Intel Kaby Lake and Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX) (not all mainboards have this, I think) for UltraHD Blu-ray as well as Intel HD Graphics 630, Intel Iris Graphics 640 or above (with HDCP 2.2). HDR10 seems to be supported. "Regular" BDXL drives are said to not cut it, it is supposed to be one of the newer ones with AACS 2.0 support.
    Last edited by sneaker; 11th Apr 2017 at 05:01.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PowerDVD 17 is now being sold on Cyberlink's US website too, although that wasn't the case an hour ago. Now, if the demand for them in Japan would just slow down to the point where Pioneer can provide some UHD Blu-ray drives to go with the new software, Andy Jackson's wish can finally come true. (That is assuming he's able to build a new PC.)
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A Pioneer UHD Blu-ray drive is finally available outside Japan. I saw the Pioneer BDR-211UBK listed today at Newegg.com, B&H Photo and Video, Adorama Camera, and outletpc.com. Amazon doesn't list it yet.
    Quote Quote