VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there
    I'm writing/translating about Workflow of Gone Girl movie. but the are some jargon I can't understand.

"The film was shot on a RED Dragon at 6k (6144 x 3072), ultimately to be used for a 5k extraction (5120 x 2876). The additional space was used for stabilization and re-framing\adjustment of shots in post production. The final film was delivered at 4K (4096 x 1706)."

what does 5k extraction mean? can anyone exemplify that?

Thanks
    Welcome to the Hotel California

Quote Quote  
  2. They use more pixels to accommodate loss for some video processing (call this crop - final viewport window will be smaller than input).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Exactly
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    They use more pixels to accommodate loss for some video processing (call this crop - final viewport window will be smaller than input).
    You mean the DP frames the shot at 5K, but camera capture at 6K for some changes in post production?
    I mean cinematographer looks or considers the 5K composition...?!
    Thanks

Quote Quote  
  5. Please check these shots

Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Man, these shots speak for themselves. What don't you understand?
    Quote Quote  
  7. 5k extraction only means part of the original shot is used in the final cut (mathematically 5/6 of of what was captured was used.) 5k out of the 6k
    only the center is extracted... the outer band is cropped out...

As Pinto007 said these shots speak for themselves
    Quote Quote  
  8. You need for image stabilizer pixels surrounding visible part of video and as such you need more pixels in source capture to crop visible area.
    This is common practice in video and cinema industry.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I got it, but I was looking for an equivalence to translate 5K extraction.

Thanks, everyone.

Quote Quote  
  10. image stabilized cropping?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by teodz1984 View Post
    image stabilized cropping?
    It can't translate into Persian I will write a description for that. something like...This (crop) or additional space was used for stabilization and re-framing\adjustment of shots in post production.
    In this case in our language, crop means frame.
    Thank you

Quote Quote  
  12. As a non English speaking person I love phrasal verbs , you might try phrasal verb to cut out, cropping a frame means to cut out a part of the frame, where you take away part of the top, right, bottom and left of the frame.
    Quote Quote  
  13. to prune out
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    As a non English speaking person I love phrasal verbs , you might try phrasal verb to cut out, cropping a frame means to cut out a part of the frame, where you take away part of the top, right, bottom and left of the frame.
    They captured at 6K, but finally cut out (cropped out) 1/6 of what captured and extracted to 5K.

sounds right?

Quote Quote