Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Click image for larger version

Name:	KMPlayer_2017-01-21_19-23-04.png
Views:	270
Size:	432.4 KB
ID:	40383

They only seem to show up in any dark colored area but they usually don't occur on colors this "light". What is it being caused by and is it possible for me to fix it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Could you describe the artifacts? It's not clear to me from the screen shot.
    Noise or artifacts in dark areas are often caused by encoding with low bitrates.

But other members here may have a better idea.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you

It becomes much easier to see it when viewing it at its full/original size, but it's a pattern that's repeated across his pants and it almost looks like a zipper/tire tracks.

If you zoom in on the full sized picture you should be able to see it much better.

Using MediaInfo, the bit rate of the MKV is 3 309 kb/s

EDIT: I uploaded an enlarged photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	chrome_2017-01-21_20-42-53.png
Views:	163
Size:	574.3 KB
ID:	40384
    Quote Quote  
  4. Here is the red channel, inverted.
    [Attachment 40385 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  5. Those are basically posterization artifacts because 8 bit, limited range, YUV video can't produce visually smooth gradients. As to why the noise is in a distinct pattern, I don't know. What is the source? Analog video capture?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    The current player that I'm using is KMPlayer, and I was able to virtually remove all artifacts by eliminating each advanced video filter I had enabled and the culprit was Level Control. All I had to do was decrease the input slider by one and increase the output slider by one and it basically removed all outstanding artifacts that I could spot without even looking for them.

Thank you for all your help
    Quote Quote  
  7. You should never use automatic filtering like that with progressively produced content. All it does is mess up the picture.
    Quote Quote