VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Sorry. Title should be DVD Flick Conversion not playing

I found a dvd which was converted to dvd - i.e video_ts - with dvd flick. it will not play with vlc. Can i do anything or anyone know why it will not play?
    Last edited by Anonymous; 19th Jan 2017 at 14:55.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You haven't given us enough information to go on. Does this dvd play OK in a standalone DVD or BluRay player? Does it play OK in another software player like KMP or Media Player Classic? Does it play OK in somebody else's computer if not yours? All those details are important.

The short version: if it plays anywhere else, it isn't the dvd: you have an issue with your computer optical drive or a glitch in your VLC installation or Windows/MacOS conflict. If it doesn't play in any device, not even a dedicated dvd player, most likely the disc has been corrupted by age, exposure to sunlight, or was just poorly burned to begin with. Burned discs do sometimes randomly fail, when they do it can be difficult or impossible to get the data off them: they're a dead loss.

I still use DVDflick at least once a day: its obsolete, and can be a real PITA to troubleshoot sometimes, but has the virtue of a quick, clean interface. It does not directly burn discs itself, but hands off burning to the superb independent IMGburn utility. All DVDflick does is create the files in DVD format for you. Once in a great while, I experience read failures with old discs I authored with DVDflick, but each time it turns out to be caused by a defective blank or poor initial burning. For this reason, I burn two copies of important dvds: one on TY media, and one on Verbatim. The two brands are both archival grade, but each uses a completely different dye formulation (if one fails over time, the other is usually OK and can be re-duped).
    Quote Quote  
  3. It is not on a disk . It is on my hard drive. It won't play with vlc/media/open folder. I put the vobs into convertxtodvd and made a new dvd and it plays. Seems to be menu that causes problems. When I remove the attached and made new dvd it plays
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DVDFLICK.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	40361  

Last edited by Anonymous; 20th Jan 2017 at 06:15.
    Quote Quote  
  4. OK, then it isn't a physical disc issue. Thats good news. Disc images/ISOs can be problematic for software players to read, but VIDEO_TS folder is usually more compatible (drag and drop the folder on the open player window). It shouldn't be necessary to open any folders and manually select a VOB using Windows Explorer.

The menu screen you show above is normal for all DVDflick authored dvds: actually it is a submenu for selecting audio tracks. It almost never appears unless a software player is misreading the IFO file or you press "menu" instead of "main menu" on the remote of a hardware player. You dismiss it easily by clicking on Resume or Main Menu at the bottom.

As it happens, I just now finished authoring a new dvd with DVDflick. It have it set to create a "dvd" folder on my PC hard drive, containing a "VIDEO_TS" folder (not an ISO or disc image file). I started VLC up, went to its Media menu, selected Open Folder, selected the new VIDEO_TS folder, and VLC immediately presented the correct main menu created by DVDflick (which always shows the two options Play/Resume and Select Title). You will run into problems with VLC if you try to open a DVDflick dvd by other means. If you try to open a VOB or IFO file, it will present a dead main menu or the useless Audio submenu you show above. The reliable way to get VLC to play a DVDflick dvd is Media>Open Folder>VIDEO_TS or Media>Open Disc>Browse>Disc Folder Name (or Disc ISO Name). Drag and drop also works if you drop the entire dvd folder (containing the VIDEO_TS) onto the open VLC window, resulting in display of the main disc menu.

You navigate the menu using the arrow keys on your keyboard to highlight what you want, then hit your keyboard enter key. DVDflick menu defaults to Play/Resume, so if you simply hit Enter the video will start playing. In my case, I highlighted Select Title, which brought up the submenu listing the different TV episodes on my dvd, then I highlighted the episode I wanted to play and hit enter. The episode began playing correctly.

There is a known issue with DVDflick's main menu designs being optimized for standalone hardware players. If you try to click on them and navigate via mouse or touchscreen, they are balky and unresponsive: they are meant to be navigated via keyboard arrow and enter commands. Mouse pointer works OK in software player itself, i.e. you can interrupt play and return to the menu any time by clicking your mouse pointer on the little square Menu button located at the bottom border of the VLC window, between the forward and reverse play triangles.

Name:  dvdflickmainmenu.jpg
Views: 1882
Size:  42.1 KB
    Last edited by orsetto; 20th Jan 2017 at 14:33.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    OK, then it isn't a physical disc issue. Thats good news. Disc images/ISOs can be problematic for software players to read, but VIDEO_TS folder is usually more compatible (drag and drop the folder on the open player window). It shouldn't be necessary to open any folders and manually select a VOB using Windows Explorer.

The menu screen you show above is normal for all DVDflick authored dvds: actually it is a submenu for selecting audio tracks. It almost never appears unless a software player is misreading the IFO file or you press "menu" instead of "main menu" on the remote of a hardware player. You dismiss it easily by clicking on Resume or Main Menu at the bottom.

As it happens, I just now finished authoring a new dvd with DVDflick. It have it set to create a "dvd" folder on my PC hard drive, containing a "VIDEO_TS" folder (not an ISO or disc image file). I started VLC up, went to its Media menu, selected Open Folder, selected the new VIDEO_TS folder, and VLC immediately presented the correct main menu created by DVDflick (which always shows the two options Play/Resume and Select Title). You will run into problems with VLC if you try to open a DVDflick dvd by other means. If you try to open a VOB or IFO file, it will present a dead main menu or the useless Audio submenu you show above. The reliable way to get VLC to play a DVDflick dvd is Media>Open Folder>VIDEO_TS or Media>Open Disc>Browse>Disc Folder Name (or Disc ISO Name). Drag and drop also works if you drop the entire dvd folder (containing the VIDEO_TS) onto the open VLC window, resulting in display of the main disc menu.

You navigate the menu using the arrow keys on your keyboard to highlight what you want, then hit your keyboard enter key. DVDflick menu defaults to Play/Resume, so if you simply hit Enter the video will start playing. In my case, I highlighted Select Title, which brought up the submenu listing the different TV episodes on my dvd, then I highlighted the episode I wanted to play and hit enter. The episode began playing correctly.

There is a known issue with DVDflick's main menu designs being optimized for standalone hardware players. If you try to click on them and navigate via mouse or touchscreen, they are balky and unresponsive: they are meant to be navigated via keyboard arrow and enter commands. Mouse pointer works OK in software player itself, i.e. you can interrupt play and return to the menu any time by clicking your mouse pointer on the little square Menu button located at the bottom border of the VLC window, between the forward and reverse play triangles.

[Attachment 40365 - Click to enlarge]
    Sorry should have said it is not on disk

I now see they will play on TV but the ones with menu won't play with VLC.I open them with VLC as you explained. It was always on TV I played the DVD Flick one so did not know they would not play on VLC. The audio and video_Ts folders are deeper that with convertxtodvd. Name of film/dvd folder/Video_and audio_TS. Convertxtodvd is name of film/Video_and audio_TS

Anyway I converted them with convertxtodvd and they play on PC. Thanks for feedback

EDIT.Plays with keyboard. Did not know that. Thanks
    Last edited by Anonymous; 20th Jan 2017 at 15:55.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Don't use DVDFlick so I don't know how it authors but are you using the default of VLC to start directly in the menu?

If so try untick it.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	VLCDVDMenu.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	40366  

Last edited by videobruger; 20th Jan 2017 at 15:30.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Don't use DVDFlick so I don't know how it authors but are you using the default of VLC to start directly in the menu?

If so try untick it.
    That work thanks but I want menu for other DVDs
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Sounds View Post
    I now see they will play on TV but the ones with menu won't play with VLC.I open them with VLC as you explained. It was always on TV I played the DVD Flick one so did not know they would not play on VLC. The audio and video_Ts folders are deeper that with ConvertXtoDVD]convertxtodvd. Name of film/dvd folder/Video_and audio_TS. Convertxtodvd is name of film/Video_and audio_TS
    They should play in VLC unless there is a problem with VLC or Windows. Perhaps your VLC simply doesn't like the nested folders that DVDflick sets up by default (dvd name>dvd folder>VIDEO_TS + AUDIO_TS). Note you are free to change that folder arrangement to match what your other program creates: all you really need is a folder with the dvd name to contain the VIDEO_TS folder. The extra nested "dvd" folder created by DVDflick is superfluous, you can move the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS out of it directly into the dvdname folder, then delete the extra "dvd" folder. I also delete the AUDIO_TS folder, because it never contains anything and isn't necessary (both audio and video are in the VOBs in the VIDEO_TS folder). AUDIO_TS is only used in very rare specialized authoring projects.

Are you saying the dvd does play OK if you use the keyboard controls?

I hope so, that means your problem is solved.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    Originally Posted by Sounds View Post
    I now see they will play on TV but the ones with menu won't play with VLC.I open them with VLC as you explained. It was always on TV I played the DVD Flick one so did not know they would not play on VLC. The audio and video_Ts folders are deeper that with ConvertXtoDVD]convertxtodvd. Name of film/dvd folder/Video_and audio_TS. Convertxtodvd is name of film/Video_and audio_TS
    They should play in VLC unless there is a problem with VLC or Windows. Perhaps your VLC simply doesn't like the nested folders that DVDflick sets up by default (dvd name>dvd folder>VIDEO_TS + AUDIO_TS). Note you are free to change that folder arrangement to match what your other program creates: all you really need is a folder with the dvd name to contain the VIDEO_TS folder. The extra nested "dvd" folder created by DVDflick is superfluous, you can move the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS out of it directly into the dvdname folder, then delete the extra "dvd" folder. I also delete the AUDIO_TS folder, because it never contains anything and isn't necessary (both audio and video are in the VOBs in the VIDEO_TS folder). AUDIO_TS is only used in very rare specialized authoring projects.

Note you are free to change that folder arrangement to match what your other program creates: all you really need is a folder with the dvd name to contain the VIDEO_TS folder. The extra nested "dvd" folder created by DVDflick is superfluous, you can move the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS out of it directly into the dvdname folder, then delete the extra "dvd" folder.
    Did that
    yes
    yes

Note you are free to change that folder arrangement to match what your other program creates: all you really need is a folder with the dvd name to contain the VIDEO_TS folder. The extra nested "dvd" folder created by DVDflick is superfluous, you can move the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS out of it directly into the dvdname folder, then delete the extra "dvd" folder.
    Did that
    yes
    yes thanks
    Quote Quote