VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I was looking for subtitles of a movie but found in different language.i convert it in into english using google translator.but for time stamp on the this srt has spaces in between.because of which VLC is not able to recognize.Ex-00: 01: 36.190 --> 00: 01: 41.427 instead of 00:01:36.190 --> 00:01:41.427. please tell me how to efficiently convert into right format.

Thanks
    Arpit
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would use Subtitle Edit to translate(using also google) your srt and it should create a working file directly. In Subtitle Edit open your srt and then Auto-Translate!

Or you could use a text editor and use Find/Search and replace all, replace the :[SPACE] with just :
    (Replace [SPACE] with a space...)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    In addition to suggesting the text editor as Baldrick did, I was also going to mention that all of the SRT files I have use a comma instead of a dot between the seconds and the milliseconds. I don't know, maybe the SRT format is flexible and can recognise either one, but I've never seen any of them using dots.
    Do or do not. There is no "try." - Yoda
    Quote Quote  
  4. looks like webvtt and not srt.

srt has a number above " --> " while webvtt doesn't.

i tried this on a youtube video with subtitles (downloaded with youtube-dl with option to download all subs) and it worked...

ffmpeg -i "input.vtt" -codec srt "output.srt"
    Last edited by tugshank; 23rd Jan 2017 at 14:53. Reason: added remedy
    Quote Quote