VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I am still new to bluray ripping. So I don't know the answer to some questions I have.

Are there any freeware bare-bones bluray ripping software available?

I downloaded "dvdfab 10" about a month ago and the countdown message keeps popping up to remind me that it will expire. I'm not backing up blurays. I don't have a collection of them. I'm new to this medium and only started working in this about a month ago.

I am not looking for bells and whistles or fancy features. I just want to extract the source video from a bunch of blurays so that I can run some encoding test scenarios.

I am heading out shortly to shop around for some new bluray's to add to my test scenarios. If there are any suggestions (for tests purposes) I might pick them up as well.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd go with MakeMKV
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    MakeMKV is the only free one that is kept up to date fairly well. Use it in Backup mode to rip the entire disc to the hard drive.

It is free while in beta, and has been in beta for a very long time, I don't remember how many years now. It will remind you that it expires after a certain number of days, but all you have to do is install new versions as they are released, or get a new beta key here: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks guy and kerry, for the suggestion, and the background info. will give makemkv a try.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, makemkv ripped my starwars disc successfully. However, I just realized that I can't play the movie. Its split into two parts. 641MB is the opening scene of the familiar scrolling history (probably for the three major languages). The second part of the 38GB movie starts elsewhere, where you see storm troopers marching or something. I haven't seen the movie so I don't know where else to go.

Is there a player that I can use to at least play this rip, or a bluray uncrippled software player available ?

EDIT: just downloaded potplayer, seems to play fine, it plays semlessly right into the second part successfully. However, its very annoying when you accidentally move the mouse too far to the right, where a pop-up of chat or something brightens up that area. Very annoying. Wish there was a way to turn that off since I have a habit of moving the mouse for one reason or another.
    Last edited by vhelp; 29th Dec 2016 at 18:11.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Most of the free players don't handle Blu-ray menus well, if at all. One free one that can work with some BD menus is the Leawo Blu-ray player.
    Quote Quote