VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I just checked the prices on ebay on these legacy products. ADVC110 selling price is around $250 while ADS Pyro is $30. Why the big difference in demand? From what I've read on the internet, they have the same performance.

I have Windows 7 ultimate. Will I regret it if I choose the ADS Pyro over ADVC110?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Probably because the people that do DV capture started many years ago, before the ADS Pyro existed. And they recommend what they know.
    Last edited by jagabo; 28th Dec 2016 at 08:17.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Just received my ADS Pyro, it seems to be dropping frames even though WinDV is not reporting it. It just looks like it during preview and playback. My VCR is a JVC HRS-7600U which has an internal TBC, I doubt getting an external TBC will solve this problem as it looks like an internal chipset problem.

No wonder the ADS Pyro is so cheap on ebay. It's crap compared to ADVC110. I read that the DataVideo DAC-100 is crap too. So we are left with one choice, ADVC110.
    Last edited by digicube; 10th Jan 2017 at 21:39.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think I had the DAC100 box but had nothing to compare the capture with. It's now very old technology. It wasn't until later that I bought a gently used Hi8 camera off eBay that I was able to compare the captures. The camera was much better by about 20%. I ran off my tapes, put the camera back on eBay, and made $25 to boot.
    Quote Quote  
  5. ADVC-110 prices on ebay are now $400. What is this madness!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by digicube View Post
    ADVC-110 prices on ebay are now $400. What is this madness!!!
    Because they knew you were coming back
    Quote Quote  
  7. I've been on the lookout for $150 ones but it looks like it'll never happen.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by digicube View Post
    Just received my ADS Pyro, it seems to be dropping frames even though WinDV is not reporting it. It just looks like it during preview and playback. My VCR is a JVC HRS-7600U which has an internal TBC, I doubt getting an external TBC will solve this problem as it looks like an internal chipset problem.

No wonder the ADS Pyro is so cheap on ebay. It's crap compared to ADVC110. I read that the DataVideo DAC-100 is crap too. So we are left with one choice, ADVC110.
    LOL! The market triumphs despite all the hate heaped upon the Canopus units on this forum and that other video help site. They are quickly being elevated to cult status despite the stupid sticky at the top of this sub.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Didn't know there was such a thing as Canopus hate on this forum or elsewhere. Thought it has always been the best.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The sticky that I referenced is a good place to start. BTW, why don't you just get a USB capture device for $35?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I don't know of any such device. Can you recommend me some? Hopefully the video capture is as good quality as ADVC110.

Also where's the sticky you referenced?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by digicube View Post
    ADVC-110 prices on ebay are now $400.
    You're sure you're not thinking of the ADVC-300? I see the 110s for much much less than that.

Didn't know there was such a thing as Canopus hate on this forum or elsewhere.
    The hate isn't so much directed at Canopus as at the DV-AVI those boxes output.

I don't know of any such device. Can you recommend me some? Hopefully the video capture is as good quality as ADVC110.
    I have one and since it can capture lossless, the video quality is better. But nothing beats the Canopus boxes for not dropping frames and not losing audio synch, so I continue to use mine.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Don't forget the earlier models... the ADVC100, the ADVC50 and the ADVC55. Same technology - same hardware - same locked audio - but fewer 'frills'.
    Probably find those are fetching lower prices....
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by pippas View Post
    Don't forget the earlier models... the ADVC100, the ADVC50 and the ADVC55. Same technology - same hardware - same locked audio - but fewer 'frills'.
    Probably find those are fetching lower prices....
    They are just as good as ADVC110? What frills are you referring to? I might want those frills.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    You're sure you're not thinking of the ADVC-300? I see the 110s for much much less than that.
    ADVC110 is more expensive than ADVC300 on ebay now and because they pop up more often so gets more bids and attention.

Do you know any USB devices that can capture as well as ADVC110? Preferably not lossless since they consumes a lot of space. DV or H.264 codec is best I think.
    Last edited by digicube; 17th Feb 2017 at 15:16.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by digicube View Post

They are just as good as ADVC110? What frills are you referring to? I might want those frills.
    There are very few functional differences between the ADVC100 and 110 --some folk considered the later 110 as a backwards move -especially as it no longer had the (undocumented) option to remove Macrovision!

This quote from an old Canopus forum thread:

"There aren't a lot of functional differences. Basically, the ADVC110 has:

- a white colour!
    - can be powered with 6-pin FireWire
    - supports audio-only conversion
    - less inputs (you only have 1 x analog inputs, whereas ADVC100 had 2x - front and rear).

That's it.
    "

The other main difference between the ADVC50 and the ADVC 100 or 110 is that the latter 2 have the option to reverse the procedure..... i.e. input DV and output analogue. In this day and age that's really now just a 'frill' you're not likely to use.

The ADVC300 did have more options - adjustable filters etc, but there have been lots of posts over the years which suggest that many people found they really were just 'frills', and didn't work that well.

The ADVC50 (and ADVC55) are analogue to DV converters only. (The '50 had the Macrovision removal option - the later '55 didn't.)

All 5 units used the same Canopus DV converter hardware with locked audio.

I still use my ADVC50 after 12 years.... still going strong!

I also use an EZCap116 (a genuine one from EZcap.tv -not one of the many fakes available.).That can produce similar quality results to the ADVC50... but it's more fiddly to set up.
    Last edited by pippas; 17th Feb 2017 at 18:09.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by pippas View Post

There are very few functional differences between the ADVC100 and 110 --some folk considered the later 110 as a backwards move -especially as it no longer had the (undocumented) option to remove Macrovision!
    You can remove Macrovision with ADVC110. Press power button for 30 seconds. Thanks for other info though.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by digicube View Post
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    ADVC110 is more expensive than ADVC300 on ebay now and because they pop up more often so gets more bids and attention.
    Are you not in the US? I see nothing of the sort:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.Xa...c-110&_sacat=0

But I have a 300 and while I don't use much of the filtering, I find it very useful to adjust the brightness and contrast before capping.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    See SOLD LISTINGS.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Oh yeah, now I see. Some of those prices are patently ridiculous when the ADVC-300 sells for about the same or less. But thanks for the correction.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Can someone recommend some modern USB alternatives? I want manageable file sizes like DV or H.264.
    Quote Quote  
  22. There are plenty of threads about therm, some even current. Just look around.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by digicube View Post
    You can remove Macrovision with ADVC110. Press power button for 30 seconds...
    There have been forum posts over the years that said only the early ADVC100s had the Macrovision removal option, and that it was removed from both the later ADVC100s and the ADVC110......
    Good to know that's not true (at least for the 110).

Regarding USB capture devices, I can recommend the EZCap 116 I mentioned in my earlier post. To get comparable results to my ADVC50 DV captures, I use Canopus HQX as a capture codec, and AmeRec TV software (free version) to capture with the audio in sync.

Captured files are roughly half the size of DV files from my ADVC50, and with similar quality.... but without any DV artiifacts of course!

As PAL DV captures tend to be better than NTSC captures - at least from a colour point of view - it could be that a USB capture device may give you better results than a DV converter anyway...
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pippas View Post

You can remove Macrovision with ADVC110. Press power button for 30 seconds. Thanks for other info though.
    Do you mean the input select button?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by brainiac View Post

do you mean the input select button?
    yes.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pippas View Post
    There have been forum posts over the years that said only the early ADVC100s had the Macrovision removal option, and that it was removed from both the later ADVC100s and the ADVC110......
    All they removed was the documentation, presumably after Macrovision Solutions sent a nastygram on lawyer letterhead.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    All they removed was the documentation, presumably after Macrovision Solutions sent a nastygram on lawyer letterhead.
    Ahhh.. got it. ....

There have been many different views over the years. Even on this board I recall threads where one person said it did work - with another saying no, it only worked on the early ADVC100s.

I don't think it works with the ADVC55--not sure though? It does with the ADVC50.

So, all ADVC100s and 110s retain the 'undocumented' option to remove Macrovision, providing you follow a specific procedure?

The idea that Canopus (now Grass Valley) changed the hardware is just one of those 'urban myths' that somehow continued over the years....
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by pippas View Post

Regarding USB capture devices, I can recommend the EZCap 116 I mentioned in my earlier post. To get comparable results to my ADVC50 DV captures, I use Canopus HQX as a capture codec, and AmeRec TV software (free version) to capture with the audio in sync.

Captured files are roughly half the size of DV files from my ADVC50, and with similar quality.... but without any DV artiifacts of course!

EZCAP.TV is price gouging on ebay, charging $135 while charging only $25 for UK customers on their website. http://www.ebay.com/itm/200623434994

I'm thinking of buying a knock-off from China for $20 because the product is simple enough that it's probably a 100% clone.

Will Canopus HQX work in avisynth?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by digicube View Post

EZCAP.TV is price gouging on ebay, charging $135 while charging only $25 for UK customers on their website. http://www.ebay.com/itm/200623434994

I'm thinking of buying a knock-off from China for $20 because the product is simple enough that it's probably a 100% clone.

Will Canopus HQX work in avisynth?
    Wow - I hadn't realised that. No way is an EZcap worth $135.......They clearly don't want to ship to the US for some reason?...

Still, makes a change -- it's usually here in the UK that we have to pay rip off prices, compared to the US

Yes, Canopus (Grass Valley) HQX works fine with Avisynth.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The I-O DATA GV-USB2 is another good USB device: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00428BF1Y/

The documentation is in Japanese, but there is at least one English guide available: http://iotku.pw/gvusb2-guide/
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote