VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi im not sure if Baldrick said if this was ok or not. I am trying to download older episodes of American housewife from ep 3 to 5 requires me to login with my cable company to watch the episodes I want to be able to save the episodes off line to watch. I pay for directv. Is there anyone to download from the 3 epsoides well login using livestream or youtbe-dl? Its not a paid site its free. If this is not ok you can close this tread. Any help would be great. If its ok with Baldrick.
    Quote Quote  
  2. . .
    Last edited by sysanin; 26th Dec 2016 at 14:36.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Wizard23 View Post
    Hi im not sure if Baldrick said if this was ok or not. I am trying to download older episodes of American housewife from ep 3 to 5 requires me to login with my cable company to watch the episodes I want to be able to save the episodes off line to watch. I pay for directv. Is there anyone to download from the 3 epsoides well login using livestream or youtbe-dl? Its not a paid site its free. If this is not ok you can close this tread. Any help would be great. If its ok with Baldrick.
    If someone needs a paid subscription to some sort of TV service and must log into that service to access the content online, then past policy here has been to treat these requests the same way as asking for help downloading from Netflix or Amazon.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the website its free to watch episodes. I looked into it before I created the thread. Not sure why ep 3 and 4 asked me to login with directv account when ep 1,2,3 6 to the rest is not asking me to login. I didn't think my thread is like amazon or netflix. I see where your coming from. I spoke with baldrick before I created the tread. He didn't say yes or no on this so I gave it a shot. Its not a premium site its abc.com as in free for all.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its not a premium site its abc.com as in free for all.
    ...except apparently for the episodes that you want. Those are no longer available to everyone for free. Unless someone has a subscription to a particular paid TV service and a login, they can't watch those particular episodes via streaming.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member Emeritus
    Search PM
    Usually, abc.com provides about 5-6 episodes without authentication at any one time. The five available episodes are the exact sequence of episodes to air most recently via the "broadcast" network. The sixth available episode is sometimes the first episode, especially in the case of a new series.

If episodes 3 and/or 4 re-run via the "broadcast" outlet, they will be available again online without authentication, until they are no longer in the list of the five most recently aired episodes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you saying you can watch ep 3-5 on-line from the TV-Station / provider's on-line service and want a mechanism to record or download them or are you saying that they are no longer available to you but you would like to find another place to download them? There is a major difference IMO.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gll99 View Post
    Are you saying you can watch ep 3-5 on-line from the TV-Station / provider's on-line service and want a mechanism to record or download them or are you saying that they are no longer available to you but you would like to find another place to download them? There is a major difference IMO.
    In the USA it is now common for networks (even over-the-air broadcast networks) to restrict access to some (or even all) of the content listed at their website. A user must provide the name of their paid TV service provider, plus their username and their password for the TV service provider to watch the restricted video.

In the OP's case the American Broadcast Company restricts access to two of the episodes he wants. He can only watch them by selecting DirecTV as his service provider and providing his DirectTV username and login. In my case, I selected Xfinity as my provider and ABC recognized that I was already logged in to my Xfinity account, so I'm guessing that access is provided via the paid service.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Dec 2016 at 13:47.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I created this thread because my Internet service sucks at streaming. So I just wanted to download them for personal use only. So I wouldn't have to use my crappy Internet to watch them on line.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    In the USA it is now common for networks (even over-the-air broadcast networks) to restrict access to some (or even all) of the content listed at their website. A user must provide the name of their paid TV service provider, plus their username and their password for the TV service provider to watch the restricted video.

In the OP's case the American Broadcast Company restricts access to two of the episodes he wants. He can only watch them by selecting DirecTV as his service provider and providing his DirectTV username and login. In my case, I selected Xfinity as my provider and ABC recognized that I was already logged in to my Xfinity account, so I'm guessing that access is provided via the paid service.
    Rules and laws will vary by country but it's similar in Canada except that some online distributor sites synchronize the content that is available with the home TV cable/satellite or other provider. For example I wanted to catch up on a missed episode of a current American TV series which plays on a particular night and subsequently is available on an on-demand channel provided by my cable company for a few weeks after. I just missed it, the episode had been removed the previous day. I know the Canadian TV company who owns the Canadian Distribution rights is CTV (a BCE company) so I went to the CTV site and provided my cable credentials so I could access the older content. Unfortunately they had removed the episode also. I suspect the 2 are kept in sync so they can sell the rights to older shows to 3rd parties like NetFlix.

My understanding is that as long as the content is made available to you by the legal distributor it's ok to time shift in Canada which includes streaming and recording for future viewing (what constitutes reasonable time or number of viewings has not been legally explained or tested but some people keep shows on PVR's for months). btw) If all you are asking is about a tool that will let you record the video you are accessing from the legal distributor's site then to me that would fall under the time shifting provisions and would be ok (at least in Canada as I understand it).

The above said however, IMO, the concern that Baldrick should have is: if someone asks for content and it doesn't come to the requester from an authorized legal distributor then it must come from an illegal source (post #2). It's not about making a judgment call about you or anyone else who asks for content (the requester) having a legal right to view the show. It would be impossible to determine in every case and Baldrick would have to take every user at his/her word. It is a fact however that anyone who gives the content to you who is not the legal distributor in your country is not authorized to do so.

My opinion is that unless Baldrick considers all TV shows to be fair game for sharing among members he should not allow content to be shared even if someone claims to have access from a legal source. Except for the 1st few episodes on many broadcaster sites those requiring authentication are not really "free" it's just a different form of pay-for-use. Recording and downloading directly from legal providers may be a different matter though so the tools may be fine. I'm not a lawyer so this isn't legal advise but my opinion is based on the difference between obtaining content (streaming, downloading or capturing from a licensed distributor vs someone else providing a link or giving a copy of the content because someone claims to have a separate legal source which is inconvenient to them.
    Last edited by gll99; 26th Dec 2016 at 01:02.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Rules and laws will vary by country but it's similar in Canada except that some online distributor sites synchronize the content that is available with the home TV cable/satellite or other provider. For example I wanted to catch up on a missed episode of a current American TV series which plays on a particular night and subsequently is available on an on-demand channel provided by my cable company for a few weeks after. I just missed it, the episode had been removed the previous day. I know the Canadian TV company who owns the Canadian Distribution rights is CTV (a BCE company) so I went to the CTV site and provided my cable credentials so I could access the older content. Unfortunately they had removed the episode also. I suspect the 2 are kept in sync so they can sell the rights to older shows to 3rd parties like NetFlix.

My understanding is that as long as the content is made available to you by the legal distributor it's ok to time shift in Canada which includes streaming and recording for future viewing (what constitutes reasonable time or number of viewings has not been legally explained or tested but some people keep shows on PVR's for months). btw) If all you are asking is about a tool that will let you record the video you are accessing from the legal distributor's site then to me that would fall under the time shifting provisions and would be ok (at least in Canada as I understand it).

The above said however, IMO, the concern that Baldrick should have is: if someone asks for content and it doesn't come to the requester from an authorized legal distributor then it must come from an illegal source (post #2). It's not about making a judgment call about you or anyone else who asks for content (the requester) having a legal right to view the show. It would be impossible to determine in every case and Baldrick would have to take every user at his/her word. It is a fact however that anyone who gives the content to you who is not the legal distributor in your country is not authorized to do so.

My opinion is that unless Baldrick considers all TV shows to be fair game for sharing among members he should not allow content to be shared even if someone claims to have access from a legal source. Except for the 1st few episodes on many broadcaster sites those requiring authentication are not really "free" it's just a different form of pay-for-use. Recording and downloading directly from legal providers may be a different matter though so the tools may be fine. I'm not a lawyer so this isn't legal advise but my opinion is based on the difference between obtaining content (streaming, downloading or capturing from a licensed distributor vs someone else providing a link or giving a copy of the content because someone claims to have a separate legal source which is inconvenient to them.
    The problem is that we have to operate by VideoHelp's rule book. If someone needs subscription of some kind to watch the video on a website, then not everyone has access to the video and technically the video isn't free either, so it doesn't fall under VideoHelp's download rules. ...and unlike linear TV (OTA TV, cable TV, satellite TV), the ability to watch at a convenient time is built in when someone is using a website to watch TV (videos are usually available for several weeks after the broadcast), so time-shifting doesn't really apply either.

There is also the practical matter of having a DirecTV subscription. Not everyone has DirecTV, so the pool of people who could help is smaller than for a free website that anyone can use.

Since ABC is likely to make the videos the OP wants available again for several weeks after they are re-broadcast, the OP should have a second chance to download them.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Dec 2016 at 12:36.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

The problem is that we have to operate by VideoHelp's rule book. If someone needs subscription of some kind to watch the video on a website, then not everyone has access to the video and technically the video isn't free either, so it doesn't fall under VideoHelp's download rules. ...and unlike linear TV (OTA TV, cable TV, satellite TV), the ability to watch at a convenient time is built in when someone is using a website to watch TV (videos are usually available for several weeks after the broadcast), so time-shifting doesn't really apply either.

There is also the practical matter of having a DirecTV subscription. Not everyone has DirecTV, so the pool of people who could help is smaller than for a free website that anyone can use.

Since ABC is likely to make the videos the OP wants available again for several weeks after they are re-broadcast, the OP should have a second chance to download them.
    In my case I tried to cover too many bases and it just complicates things:

To keep it simple:

1) I do not believe that anyone should provide a link to copies of tv shows for which they do not own the distribution rights. (as in the link in the original post 2 above, since removed)

2) If someone says they can access a tv show on a website from a legal distributor, it's available to everyone within their geographic limits and they are asking for tools to help them stream, view, copy/download or record the show then it seems to be acceptable here to provide the help.

So far that's about as simple as it gets but there is an ambiguity about what constitutes a paid service which is off limits here.

As to paid services, like you said what complicates matters is that online TV show producers and distributors like CBS, ABC, etc... make some of their most current content available to everyone for a limited time but much of their archived content requires that one must prove that they subscribe to their channel on cable, satellite or other distribution method so it becomes a type of paid service too. Since helping someone to access content from subscription services is against forum rules how can we justify helping someone obtain such content that is really only a subscription service by another name.
    Last edited by gll99; 26th Dec 2016 at 20:50.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe I'm missing something, but even the episodes that are free, do not have a "download" button. They stream to the browser (or app). At least the two that I just tested. Assuming there is a download button, I would expect it to also be available after you login. What am I missing?
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but even the episodes that are free, do not have a "download" button. They stream to the browser (or app). At least the two that I just tested. Assuming there is a download button, I would expect it to also be available after you login. What am I missing?
    You aren't missing anything. I would imagine that neither ABC nor DirecTV wants these videos to be downloaded at all, so they do nothing that would encourage it.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 31st Dec 2016 at 14:40. Reason: Typo. It's ABC not NBC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tend to agree. I was just wondering how he was "downloading" the videos that are available. As it appears they only stream, the process is the same whether you authenticate or not.

Having said that> https://www.playon.tv/
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wizard23, have you figured this out? You never stated if you tried anything. I have an answer for you on how this could be done. This would work without provider login on episodes that are available to all that visit the abc site. Who's to say that the same process won't work after login?

Have livestreamer installer, if not, search and install.

Have AdBlock Plus plugin installed and enabled in firefox.

With adblock plus enabled, search for .m3u8. If so, you should find a url string with a bunch of numbers.m3u8.
    example: 176345641.m3u8

Copy this url, paste in code string before and run in cmd, or terminal, depending on your computer.

This line of code just worked for me to capture an episode of dr. ken.
    Code:
    livestreamer "hlsvariant://paste your long url string here" best -o drken.mp4
    The best option listed in the code string will yield a 720p version of the video. Can replace with "108p (worst), 162p, 252p, 432p, 558p, 594p, 612p, 648p, 720p (best)"

let me know if it might work???
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ehurdler View Post
    Wizard23, have you figured this out? You never stated if you tried anything. I have an answer for you on how this could be done. This would work without provider login on episodes that are available to all that visit the abc site. Who's to say that the same process won't work after login?

Have livestreamer installer, if not, search and install.

Have AdBlock Plus plugin installed and enabled in firefox.

With adblock plus enabled, search for .m3u8. If so, you should find a url string with a bunch of numbers.m3u8.
    example: 176345641.m3u8

Copy this url, paste in code string before and run in cmd, or terminal, depending on your computer.

This line of code just worked for me to capture an episode of dr. ken.
    Code:
    livestreamer "hlsvariant://paste your long url string here" best -o drken.mp4
    The best option listed in the code string will yield a 720p version of the video. Can replace with "108p (worst), 162p, 252p, 432p, 558p, 594p, 612p, 648p, 720p (best)"

let me know if it might work???
    Hi sorry for not replaying for a while been busy with stuff and your steps worked for me thanks again.
    Quote Quote