Thread
  1. Hi,

I have some DTS files. I would like to add some metadata:

Cover art
    Album name
    Artist
    Track name
    Track number

So that it looks pretty in VLC. I want to preserve the original DTS sound so really don't want to convert to another format. I've tried with MKA. That keeps channels etc but I can't figure out how to add the above metadata information. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance
    M
    Quote Quote  
  2. Foobar2000 can write tags to MKAs. I just checked and VLC seems to read them okay. foobar2000 doesn't support cover art for mka though, but you could probably add it as an attachment when muxing with MKVToolnix.

foobar2000 can also save ape tags directly to DTS files, but cover art isn't supported again, and when I tested just now, VLC totally ignored them anyway.

To modify tags for a file you just need to load it into foobar2000's playlist, right click and select Properties. To actually decode DTS it needs a third party DSP. It should tag with or without it though. http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_input_dts

Just to see, I extracted the tag foobar2000 created after I added Artist and Title info. MKVCleaver extracted it as a xml file and it looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <!-- <!DOCTYPE Tags SYSTEM "matroskatags.dtd"> -->
    <Tags>
    <Tag>
    <Targets>
    <TargetTypeValue>30</TargetTypeValue>
    </Targets>
    <Simple>
    <Name>ARTIST</Name>
    <String>Artist Name</String>
    <TagLanguage>und</TagLanguage>
    <DefaultLanguage>1</DefaultLanguage>
    </Simple>
    <Simple>
    <Name>TITLE</Name>
    <String>This Is The Title</String>
    <TagLanguage>und</TagLanguage>
    <DefaultLanguage>1</DefaultLanguage>
    </Simple>
    </Tag>
    </Tags>

You could create your own manually and add it as a global tag with MKVToolNix. There's probably info for creating them on the MKVToolNix site somewhere, although manually creating a global tag with a few standard fields doesn't seem like it's very complicated.
    Quote Quote