VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I am thinking of buying the following ASRock Beebox-S computer:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856158053

Does anyone know definitively if it can capture and encode 1080p 60 fps video via the iGPU without any glitches or missing frames? I am not interested in the quality of the encode, as long as it is either AVC or HEVC. Thanks for your time
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ezcapper View Post
    I am thinking of buying the following ASRock Beebox-S computer:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856158053

Does anyone know definitively if it can capture and encode 1080p 60 fps video via the iGPU without any glitches or missing frames? I am not interested in the quality of the encode, as long as it is either AVC or HEVC. Thanks for your time
    The spec call for 4k encoding so it should be able to do that, I go for i5 over i3

As for glitches or missing frames that is something you need test for your self as nobody knows*as it is to new and most review don't even look at that.
    You may want to just look at Hardware Encoder
    Last edited by SHS; 20th Dec 2016 at 12:42.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Good idea, I'll wait for the i5 model to fall under 300 USD then get it, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    its already out for $349, at the bottom of that webpage: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856158054

Code:
    ASRock BEEBOX-S 7200U Intel Kabylake-U Black Barebone Systems - Mini / Booksize
     Intel Core i5-7200U (3M ...
     2 x 260Pin SO-DIMM DDR4 ...
    better to get the 7200U w/ turbo boost, none for the 7100U, which is what I have.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for that, will get it then. If you have the 7100u vhelp, can you record video playing on your desktop with obs using the quicksync gpu at 1080p60 smoothly without any skipped frames? Much appreciated
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i have no idea what obs is
    Quote Quote  
  7. This is what I'm hoping you can do to benchmark it because you are one of the few who have this processor with the hd 620 gpu with quicksync

recording desktop via quicksync:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LxWYrJlj9o

obs works with video capture cards as well, encoding in real time; so it will be a very useful if you could test obs with quicksync running some video on your desktop, and recording the desktop. Thanks!
    Last edited by ezcapper; 20th Dec 2016 at 18:09.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Keep in mind the beebox doesn't have great cooling and gets a bit noisy (fan) when stressed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't mind performing the test.. be happy too. I re-imaged the laptop. I used the built-in imager and should be able to restore it back to original format once this test has completed.

I downloaded this version, Download OBS Studio Classic 0.659 portable [93.9MB] [Win] so hopefully it will satisfy the test project.
    Last edited by vhelp; 20th Dec 2016 at 21:44.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I will start shortly. What am I suppose to play for this test ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    test failed. received a "d3dx10_43.dll" file missing, message. I searched the portable archive but it was not in there. I used the 64bit version of OBS.exe
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok, success. downloaded this and it worked.. got me the recording screen and ran some tests on 30 fps. however, I don't have any 60fps materials. so, i'm no good for this test. perhaps someone else here has this same laptop and can test. I will remove this software via restore image now. sorry, didn't occur to me that i would need a 60fps source to test.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    ok, success. downloaded this and it worked.. got me the recording screen and ran some tests on 30 fps. however, I don't have any 60fps materials. so, i'm no good for this test. perhaps someone else here has this same laptop and can test. I will remove this software via restore image now. sorry, didn't occur to me that i would need a 60fps source to test.
    On PC/Laptop you don't need 60fps materials for it to come out as 1080p60fps clip
    Beside you used any game benchmark to this
    Last edited by SHS; 21st Dec 2016 at 05:04.
    Quote Quote  
  14. SHS is right, you don't really need a 60 fps video to test screen recording at 60 fps. But here's small 60 fps video with each frame numbered so it's easy to check for dropped or duplicate frames.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  15. Thank you for the test vhelp, I really appreciate it. So I gather it did 1080p30 with no problem? the monitor has a 60 hertz refresh rate, so recording any video playing on your desktop will tell us whether it can record 1080p60 well, especially one with a lot of motion, action scenes, etc. As long as your monitor and recording settings are set to 1080p resolution and obs is set to record at 60 fps. Hopefully someone else will try, I won't bother you with any more requests, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    but doesn't that create duplicates. anyway. i will re-run the test on that sample you just posted.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    but doesn't that create duplicates. anyway. i will re-run the test on that sample you just posted.
    ok thanks so much. Important settings in obs video settings tab:

base (canvas) resolution : 1920x1080
    output (scaled) resolution : 1920x1080

Common FPS values : 60

It will not create duplicates because it is recording your desktop, which has a refresh rate of 60 hz and is displaying images at 60 fps.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    but doesn't that create duplicates.
    Of course it creates duplicates. But if you play a 30 fps video you should see every frame twice. If you see dropped frames or more duplicates it isn't recording properly. If you play a 24 fps video you should see a 2:3 repeat pattern.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I didn't explain it right, this video explains what I meant by running the test and how to adjust the settings if you watch the whole video (97 seconds):

https://youtu.be/49HRaS7TDzM

As shown in video, I used a different scaled resolution, you would just use 1920x1080 instead for both base and scaled resolution. Also, as shown I used x264 you would use quicksync
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    have a look at this test capture. if i have to re-do it again, that is ok.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    have a look at this test capture. if i have to re-do it again, that is ok.
    Wow, it works. Thanks for your help! That was very thorough, I think I'll go for the i3-7100u since I won't need the preview screen on and won't be playing any video on the computer to capture. You really helped me out
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure it worked? I didn't check for frame drops or anything because i was rushing to work.. was very late for me this a.m.. Perhaps jagabo can verify.

If you mean, the $349 Acer Aspire E 15 laptop from amazon, then, yes, its a good laptop. The weight is good and has a sturdy quality feel to it, not cheesy. I'm trying not to ever connect it to the internet, so there is no network files installed as far as I know. The purpose is to keep it as its current fastest speed w/out any bloat and so far it seems to be doing quite well. I think i've had it for a month now and still going strong. Battery life is pretty good. I haven't charged it on average in three days, depending on how I use it, etc.. And the keyboard has a really nice tactile feel to it. So treat it with respect and it will last a long time. I just don't like cursor and pgdn/pgup/home/end key positions. It should really be the the way they are on my dell inspire model 5520 laptop.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    Are you sure it worked? I didn't check for frame drops or anything because i was rushing to work.. was very late for me this a.m.. Perhaps jagabo can verify.
    I didn't check every frame but the part I looked at showed the numbers in the video incrementing once per frame with no drops and no duplicates.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What I'm looking to do now is figure out how to capture through quicksync (QSV). I figured out a way to get it to encode with all the image detail, and now I want to test it via capture. But that part is a mystery. I will probably start with virtualdub and see if it exposes the QS as a compressor, and if that fails, i'll have a look at it through graphstudio, etc., unless someone already knows how to get QS exposed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If QS can work through capture, then I can finally put the hauppauge hdpvr (12Mbps) to rest because QS definately produces higher quality and at higher more appropriate bitrates, for AVC and HEVC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    just tried w/ virtualdub and QS is not exposed.
    Quote Quote  
  27. QS is not exposed as either a VFW or Directshow encoder. I suppose someone could write a wrapper to do so though.
    Quote Quote  
  28. deleted, incorrect information

does this help with the directshow issue at all?:
    http://alax.info/blog/1586
    Last edited by ezcapper; 21st Dec 2016 at 11:18. Reason: deleted incorrect information
    Quote Quote