VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I just started messing around with bluray ripping. And let me get right to the point about blurays in general. They are horrible. I get it. About the noise addition. It is advantageous to the tv's (the ones with the unique filter/image processing features) but otherwise, the temporal noise. The noise that seem to "trail" along the scene, it is horrible. Otherwise, other than that--and the color levels--they are ok. At least you get a larger picture to deal with and with a few more levels of ideas to transfer or archive or whatever your goals are with this medium.

So, i'm trying to test various encoders, using bluray as a hopeful "master" to gauge by. But its not going as well according to plan, per the above comments. But I have no choice and so I will continue searching for and hand selecting those sources to run tests through the encoders I am testing.

Let me give you an example of the disappointment I am facing with, so far:

1. The Fifth Element: heavy noise, but not to serious, but still very noisy. And needed the filter mentioned below.

2. Farscape: not so noisy, but the PAL->NTSC 24fps is not very good. I would say horrible but that is not totally true. There are some scenes where you will see blended frames, and then there are scenes where areas or whole areas are "chunky-looking" for lack of better description of what I see.

3. the color levels are very dark for all of the ones I test ripped so far. If I don't apply any color levels filtering, then in some motion scenes, (in The Fifth Element) the color tends to "starburst" if that's the correct term. Anyway, I found that if I include the ColorMatrix(mode="Rec.709->Rec.601") filter, (see script below) then that artifact goes away completely. And, but If I apply a levels filter (to bring levels within 16-235), then the image becomes more or less, "charcoal" looking. So, in the end, it appears to be best to leave the colors alone, except for the one filter I just mentioned. Leave that one in. It actually does help.

I used DVDfab 10 to rip to the hdd, copy mode, not encoding. I wanted the raw source. The ripping process was very slow, about 15MB/s or 1/2 hr.

Has anyone done any bluray rips of Farscape? and what are your comments as far as the image detail and other aspects of it are? And are you using any color processing? Farscape has a lot of dark scenes in them, like the one I was just testing. S1D5 (disc 5) opening scene.

Code:
      v = "g:\src\Video\THE_FIFTH_ELEMENT\src.THE_FIFTH_ELEMENT.theatrical.mp4"
      v = "g:\src\Video\FARSCAPE_S1D5\src.FARSCAPE_S1D5.theatrical.mp4"

# LoadPlugin(  "c:\PLUGINS\LSMASHSource.dll") 
    # LWLibavVideoSource(v, cache=true , seek_mode=0 )#.trim(0, 100) #.selectevery(2,0) 
    #  
      LoadCPlugin( "c:\PLUGINS\ffms2.dll" )
      FFVideoSource(v, fpsnum=24000, fpsden=1001)

# ConvertToYUY2( interlaced=false )
    # ConvertToYV12 
    # ColorYUV(off_y=50, off_u=1, off_v=1)
    # tweak(bright=25, cont=1.5, sat=1.0)
      ColorMatrix(mode="Rec.709->Rec.601") 

# ScriptClip( """ subtitle("TheFifthElement bluray', frame "  + string(current_frame) + " - " + string(framecount),12,12)""")  
      ScriptClip( """ subtitle("Farscape S1D5, qsv2.58, api-v1.4, frame "  + string(current_frame) + " - " + string(framecount),12,12)""")  

trim(   261, 0 ).trim( 0, 1409) # farscape
    Last edited by vhelp; 6th Dec 2016 at 22:45. Reason: typos
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't done Farscape since i don't own it but all the blu-ray movies,tv shows that i ripped with mavemkv have no noise in them whatsoever and no color issues,are you listening through a receiver or tv or is the noise not sound but picture quality?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Apologies. I meant, grain. Film Grain. Not noise, though it was ascetically meant for film grain, its more noise than appealing.

Also, I am wondering if they made different mastering version of Farscape. I believe they did that for The Fifth Element. But I don't particularly like the mastering job they did on this version/disc of TFE.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Some movies i own have film grain and watching it on a 60 " hdtv will look crappy since they didn't have it mind to what quality it would be since they probably viewed it on a 40" when they did their mastering jobs.I view through a 46" sony and it's just barely viewable to the grain you are mentioning.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Farscape is not in true 1080P. They are upscaled from the Pal masters 720 x 576. The rights holders claim the 35mm masters are lost and a true 1080p is not possible. I backed up my original BR's and cropped season 1-2-3 to 16x9 and I didn't notice any increase in noise or grain. I used the original file size to preserve the original bitrate.
    Last edited by wulf109; 7th Dec 2016 at 01:20.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    3. the color levels are very dark for all of the ones I test ripped so far. If I don't apply any color levels filtering, then in some motion scenes, (in The Fifth Element) the color tends to "starburst" if that's the correct term. Anyway, I found that if I include the ColorMatrix(mode="Rec.709->Rec.601") filter, (see script below) then that artifact goes away completely. And, but If I apply a levels filter (to bring levels within 16-235), then the image becomes more or less, "charcoal" looking. So, in the end, it appears to be best to leave the colors alone, except for the one filter I just mentioned. Leave that one in. It actually does help.
    Be careful. Blu-rays are supposed to be Rec.709. Maybe you are just seeing wrong colors because the viewer you are using for AviSynth previews always uses Rec.601. Then you will encode wrong if you use ColorMatrix(mode="Rec.709->Rec.601").
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Using ColorYUV( levels="PC->TV" ) does help a little bit, though its still too dark for reviewing bluray segments. Obviously, I would remove it before the encoding stage.
    Quote Quote