VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there,
    VLC plays VIDEO_TS folder alright.
    No problem.
    Except once I want to skip a little further, then is crashes.
    See attachment.

Any ideas?

=
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What is the purpose of the attached WMV video?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    It's a screen-capture of the issue.

Is the .TS on your HDD or straight from the DVD ?

Either way if the dvd is not authored for seeking then there is no where for the seek to go.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Many Thanks.

Tried MPC-HC but got the same issue.
    It will play VIDEO_TS (.vob, .ifo) nicely, same as VLC.
    It will do so the entire movie.
    No problem.

However, I should not 'skip' forward, e.g. to a next scene: then both players will crash.
    VLC quits
    MPC stops and freezes

Note, this only counts for DVD stuff, so with .mkv or .avi - no problem skipping thru the scenes.

Guess I have to accept that, but just wondered as to whether others are facing similar things.

=
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    It's a screen-capture of the issue.

Is the .TS on your HDD or straight from the DVD ?

Either way if the dvd is not authored for seeking then there is no where for the seek to go.
    It is from HDD.

as for 'authored for seeking' - okay - well, that is something I am not familiar with, am far, far from an expert...

If I play the DVD from external USB HDD, connected to my old-fashioned media player in the living room (i.e. on TV)
    then skipping to the next scene is no problem.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

=
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe defective DVD authoring is causing your problem, but it doesn't seem like it was something that was done intentionally.

There are two techniques used to deliberately prevent someone from skipping through part of a DVD. Both are applied during authoring. One technique is to make skipping a prohibited user operation. The other technique is to omit navigation commands that would tell the player where to go next when someone presses the skip button. If your problem occurs during the movie itself, it seems unlikely that the cause is either of these things. Such methods are normally reserved for advertisements or anti-piracy warnings. Attempting a prohibited a user operation wouldn't crash the player. I don't think I have encountered the other method, but I wouldn't expect it to crash the player either.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't chapter/scene info contained in the Ifo files
    You have to play the video_ts folder, VLC has to open and play from the DVD menu to have access to chapter info to seek forward
    Directly playing a vob is not going to work aka allow chapter seeking with the next button, with any player
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    Isn't chapter/scene info contained in the Ifo files
    You have to play the video_ts folder, VLC has to open and play from the DVD menu to have access to chapter info to seek forward
    Directly playing a vob is not going to work aka allow chapter seeking with the next button, with any player
    As usual, you either did not bother to read the entire thread before jumping in, or did not understand what you read. The OP is not just playing VOBs.

The OP wrote: "It will play VIDEO_TS (.vob, .ifo) nicely, same as VLC."
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As usual, you Jump with out consideration
    He did not say he used play folder option in vlc
    He said it will play the vob and Ifo files
    If he did not choose the correct file he will have problems
    His post sounds like he is choosing individual files to play then wondering why the seek to next chapter does not work

You read what he says as one thing
    I read it as something else
    We can not read minds
    Either interpretation could be the correct one
    You just like to jump on people
    Last edited by theewizard; 4th Dec 2016 at 12:06.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    As usual, you Jump with out consideration
    He did not say he used play folder option in vlc
    He said it will play the vob and Ifo files
    If he did not choose the correct file he will have problems
    His post sounds like he is choosing individual files to play then wondering why the seek to next chapter does not work
    He didn't say he's playing VOBs by themselves. He said in the very first post "VLC plays VIDEO_TS folder alright.", so he's using the folder option, as one normally does when using VLC or MPC-HC to play DVD files and folders stored on the PC. Nobody who has used these two programs to play DVD files and folders stored on a PC should need to read minds to interpret "plays VIDEO_TS folder alright." correctly.

Clearly you don't understand what you read much of the time.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by vhwul62 View Post
    It is from HDD.

If I play the DVD from external USB HDD, connected to my old-fashioned media player in the living room (i.e. on TV)
    One scenario you I don't think you've covered is opening the disc with VLC or MPC-HC. Can they navigate? I'm wondering if maybe something happened when the DVD was ripped to your hard drive, and for some reason the old media player isn't bothered by it. Is it just one ripped DVD that's the problem or is it every ripped DVD? If it's the latter, what ripping software do you use?

LOL. I see usually_quiet is still obsessing about ignoring me with every post, totally oblivious to the contradiction. And arguing about something irrelevant again. The OP isn't using a skip function to jump from one chapter to the next, just the navigation bar to skip a little further forward in time. You can do that even when opening vob files directly, although it appears the OP is opening the "full DVD".
    Last edited by hello_hello; 4th Dec 2016 at 15:10.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    do you mean play the DISC
    or do you mean
    play the dvd "folder" on the HHD
    or play an ISO disc image file
    Last edited by theewizard; 4th Dec 2016 at 16:06.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Just for good order's sake, say, the DVD on HDD is titled SomeDVD
    with a subfolder VIDEO_TS (that includes the .vob, .ifo. .bup files)
    then I rightclick on SomeDVD and play the video (or alternatively I might rightclick the VIDEO_TS folder and play it).
    It is not an .ISO but all the different files, you know.

Anyway, I also downloaded JRiver Media Center 22.0.32
    (in the past I used this program to maintain my music library, but didn't use it anymore, I stopped upgrading at v20)
    installed it and played the DVD. Skipped many times forward, backward, skipped almost to the end and the back to beginning,
    clicked on fast forward, jumped all over the video for a dozen times at least. I could not make it crash. It does not .. respond
    in a weird way (like distortions, or slow responses, any of such matters).

Obviously this is not freeware. Also I am not sure as to whether it support playback using the context menu which is very handy,
    instead of click-click-browse-click browse ... stuff.

Looked at PowerDVD - but I cannot run it in VM and it isn't really cheap, every with the end of year actions.
    WinDVD 12? Can't find a trial.

-
    later, found WinDVD 11 but it is a no-go in VM either, sadly enough.

=

[Attachment 39810 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I may be wrong but it is only your last post that your mention 'VM'.

Whilst that might not be the issue with VLC and other players it could well be.

As Confucious would say "Doctor can only give a full diagnosis when he knows all the symtons"
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have run Windows 10 64-bit and Windows 8.1 32-bit using VMs on my Haswell i5, and the VM seems a little more sluggish than running Windows natively. I would not be surprised if the problem was caused by using a VM in combination with the particular player software mentioned. There is a good selection of other media player software listed in VideoHelp's software section that can play DVDs https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/video-players
    Quote Quote