VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys, just want to let you guys know about what may be one of the best video editing apps that you most likely don't know exists:

https://www.shotcutapp.com/

Some of you may know I stopped using Windows at home years ago but I still enjoy working with video as a hobby and as such have spent years trying to find the perfect editor for Linux.

There are a number of them but the sad truth is most are not up to snuff, AviDemux is alright, PiTiVi is so-so, Kdenlive is so-so, OpenShot is one to watch, Blender is way too advanced for the casual user (yes, you can edit video with Blender), Cinelerra to me is just a mess, I don't see how any one uses to to edit anything, LiVES is not for me, Flowblade I'm not to keen on, Vivia I can't be bothered to install and there's also Lightworks.

Note that I purposely listed all video editors that I know of that work under Linux, some have Windows builds, as Shotcut does,

I personally find Shotcut to be the best of the bunch, in many ways better than the proprietary apps on Windows, if you plan on building a Linux based video editing system I recommend Fedora 25, enabling both the free and non-free repositories and using the Mate desktop.

For encoding duties I recommend this page:

https://mattgadient.com/2016/02/15/how-to-10-bit-x264-and-10-12-bit-x265-encodes-with-...linux-windows/

You will find links to getting a handbrake build that supports VP8, VP9, x264 8/10 bit and x265 8/10/12 bit; word to the wise I haven't used the Windows version, on Ubuntu 10 and 12 bit encoding support seems to be hit or miss but on Fedora I can vouch that all the encoding modes work perfectly, if you have the cpu power and want to try some 12 bit x265 encoding I strongly recommend paying that page a visit.

Who says you need to spend a lot of money to build a good hobbyist grade video editing system?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I used shotcut some years ago. Crashed immediatly. .
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's improved greatly, they've added "experimental" gpu acceleration support for filters and I have used them with both an R7 265 and a GTX960 and I am using it right now as I type this, I edited a 16 bit VC-1 source, with a few filters and cropping and I'm exporting it as an FFV1 with FLAC for encoding via the handbrake version I listed.

Try it again, preferably on Fedora (the Windows build may be unstable).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've used all the programs you listed in Linux. I disagree with you on the best one though. ShotCut is fine for the casual video editor, but Kdenlive and Cinelerra are much more advanced. Kdenlive is my favorate because Cinelerra has a very strange workflow.

I use the latest version of Kdenlive and it allows custom ffmpeg commands in the export module. It is very versatile and can easily edit and export 4k hevc footage.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Another good little-known utility is GreenShot. Takes screen captures. Can send straight to cloud.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    Some of you may know I stopped using Windows at home years ago
    Quote Quote