VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello friends,

Please help me to solve my problem with PDF format file.
    When I try to open it I recieve the following error message: "There was a problem reading this document ". The file was downloaded a month ago. I tried to open it with the help of Adobe Acrobat and Reader. So my question is, how to repair a pdf file?

Hopefully someone will be able to help me with this.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How big is the file?
    Download it again?

Or will you create another account and spam your pdf repair tool.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi,
    4mb

I have tried NitroPDF..no luck. I am sure that the file was downloaded completely. Tried to redownload it using another browser, nothing works for me
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try Ghostscript. If nothing else, you should get a better error message.
    http://superuser.com/questions/197373/toolkit-tool-for-pdf-checking
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use Foxit reader instead. Adobe reader is bloatware, IMO.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The new version of Adobe Reader tries to do everything except read pdfs >> ie offer paid for creation services that the old Pro version did.

I could not read the pdf that my bank/cc co wanted me to view (online statement) so I reverted to an older version X1 which serves me well.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by McCrayS View Post
    This error message mean the PDF is corrupted. With each new version of Acrobat and Reader Adobe released over the last few years Adobe have tightened up the PDF Spec, i.e., badly formed PDFs that Acrobat and Reader used to be forgiving will no longer work. You can use this app - https://www.spammer.com/
    As I guessed....another spammer....bye bye!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Marsia Mariner
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    The new version of Adobe Reader tries to do everything except read pdfs >> ie offer paid for creation services that the old Pro version did.

I could not read the pdf that my bank/cc co wanted me to view (online statement) so I reverted to an older version X1 which serves me well.
    Besides SumatraPDF, I still keep the Lite edition of the ancient Adobe Reader 9.4.0, because only the "most-official" PDF reader can be used to check whether the PDFs I create do work "as expected".

Even though Adobe themselves were stupid enough to make it "illegal", it still can be found "elsewhere".
    On Windows 7, it works 'with some minor bugs' under the «Windows Vista compatibility mode(s)».
    Quote Quote