VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. OH, THAT boot. That ONE, that particular one, as opposed to any of the OTHER boots, THAT ONE, That's the one, well, then, as long as it was not one of those OTHER boots, then, well, that explains everything.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Okay, so I ran CCleaner and Malwarebytes, the latter of which came up clean both times.

With C as the only drive plugged in, 1:13 to the login screen. From the login screen to my desktop was 2:04, and then a further 4:33 to open the ODS file.

Don't have time for additional boot tests right now.
    Quote Quote  
  3. all optical drives unplugged, as well? That is 3 minutes and 17 seconds from power switch to desktop, or a total of 2:04?

I would boot naked a number of times, checking for total failures like the blinking cursor issue. Also run time checks of script with C drive ONLY, no other drives attached.

Your system is now simplified, steps to improve performance are direct and straightforward with limited possible causes for issues.

If you want speed from extra drives for encodes, etc, use an internal rather than the USB drive as a general rule. Existing drives with old OS installed should be cleaned and re-formatted.

If you haven't tested the boot in Safe Mode, do that. If major time difference, run thru the Registry startup key entries for startup progs which can be eliminated.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    all optical drives unplugged, as well?
    Yes.

That is 3 minutes and 17 seconds from power switch to desktop, or a total of 2:04?
    3:17. Stopped and reset the timer while I typed my password.

I would boot naked a number of times, checking for total failures like the blinking cursor issue.
    You mean with no drives at all? What's the blinking cursor issue?

Also run time checks of script with C drive ONLY, no other drives attached.
    That's my next plan; I already moved the script and video to my desktop. It's been a super-busy weekend though.

If you want speed from extra drives for encodes, etc, use an internal rather than the USB drive as a general rule.
    I'm usually working with footage that has to be transported between machines, so internals aren't really practical. Not to mention D: is incredibly low on free space, so I probably couldn't do huge amounts of work on it anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Realised I forgot to copy VDub to C, so I had to plug D in, boot, and copy it. Then shut down and unplugged D again. Booted, and 1:41 to the login screen. Login screen to desktop took 29 seconds, then a further 4:32 to open the ODS file. So five minutes from login screen to my computer being usable.

The AviSynth script took 5:11 to run.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hmm, I think M might actually be having issues. I've never had a problem with it until the I/O error with Paragon, but I plugged it in just now and the 'USB connected' sound played but it never showed up in Explorer. Kept unplugging in and plugging it back in, and getting messages that it needed to be scanned for errors, or needed to be formatted before it could be used.

Trying to copy the footage I need from it onto O, and it's going absolutely nowhere. Literally, zero percent complete after about five minutes. Not sure if that's M or O though.

I have footage on both M and O that needs to be used in a project, which really needs to get done in the next few days so I've had to abandon the 'no external drives' thing for now.

I also plugged F back in, and all that's on it other than my data is a 'Boot' folder containing folders that seem to be languages (one is 'en-US'), a file called 'BCD', a file called 'BCD.log', and memtest.exe, and a '$RECYCLE.BIN' folder. Neither of them will allow me to delete them. I don't see why any of that would try to boot Vista, either.

EDIT: Deleting some files from M also caused it to go from having 600 of 900GB free, to having 1.20TB of 900GB free, with a red bar indicating the entire drive was full.

EDIT 2: Unplugged O and M, plugged in N. I'm getting the same issue as with N: it doesn't show up in Explorer but I get a message popping up saying I need to format the drive before I can use it. Despite it having a bunch of things on it that I've been working with for weeks now.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You are now gaining a more complete understanding of why I refer to external drives as unreliable spawn of the devil. They should be used to transport data, NOT repeat NOT as work drives. Copy to an internal. Faster, more reliable, backup copy inherent in process.

Your F: was setup as a boot drive at some point in the past. Format it to remove all files. Setting Explorer to show all files might be informative.

I would track and evaluate individual USB ports on the PC you may have one or a series of bad ports, front ports are especially prone to this, you should have separate USB2 and USB3 groups. Make sure you are properly ejecting drives prior to disconnect, on ejection failure reboot the PC before connecting another.

The Safe Mode boot test results should yield some useful information.
    Quote Quote  
  8. How is it faster? A few extra seconds, or even minutes, on an encode doesn't beat hours of transfer time.

ATM I have an 8TB drive, which is housing all my VHS captures, all the resulting restorations, and everything in between. Copying that back and forth would take forever, potentially break links, and be a general pain - especially given I only have 160GB of free space on my internal drive.

I'm pretty sure I don't have any USB3 ports. I'm fairly sure most ports are only USB1.

I was having issues previously with drives refusing to eject because they were in use, even though they weren't. Figured the easiest solution was to just unplug and roll with it.

I finally got it to recognise M, I'm copying footage across to N with what I've already copied across from O, so that'll all be in one place and I can get through this project with only one external drive.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I've finally knocked that project on the head, so I went to try the Safe Mode boot after unplugging everything except C. Failed to successfully open the menu the first time, so it booted normally. I selected 'restart' from the login screen. Never actually logged in. The 'Shutting Down...' screen displayed for 1:14 before the screen went black, then 35 seconds to the intel splash screen.

From the splash screen to the safe mode login screen was 1:49. So a total of 2:24 from a blank screen to the safe mode login screen.

From the login screen to the desktop was 16 seconds, then an additional 1:52 for the ODS file to open. Total of 2:08 from login screen to usable computer. The AVS completed in 4:49.

Again, all that is in safe mode with C as the only drive - internal, external, optical - plugged in.

EDIT: Oops, just realised I left K plugged in accidentally. I'll give it another go.

EDIT 2: Six seconds to intel splash screen, 2:09 from splash to login. 2:15 total. Shorter total time, thanks to getting to the splash screen much quicker, but a full 20 seconds longer to actually boot Windows.

Login to desktop was 16 seconds again, ODS file loaded in 1:41. AVS completed in 4:50.
    Last edited by koberulz; 7th Dec 2016 at 13:39.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Bump?

Just tried to do a direct stream copy of a 1080i MJPEG AVI in VirtualDub, and it locked up my entire computer forcing a reboot. Had C, D, F (internals), E (optical), N (was using it for something else) and a replacement M (containing the file in question) plugged in.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Managed to lock my computer up by clicking on a tab in Firefox.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Sorry, when I realized your goal seemed to be to achieve an unreliable, non-responsive PC, I lost interest, but, hey, mission accomplished. Bravo!
    Quote Quote  
  13. I've followed every single thing you've suggested, so I'm not sure what your problem is.

I've been trying to encode a video using MeGUI for several days now, and it's not working. Two-pass encode, ran the first pass a while back overnight, I think. Then had to repeatedly run the second pass because the resulting .264 file was replacing random frames with different frames, had an extra blank frame at the start and several extra blank frames at the end, etc. Had the same issue with a different file running the same process, but that one did successfully encode. I've also successfully done this dozens of times.

Decided to try running the first pass again as well, but it got to 1.5 hours remaining and then stopped moving.

I also keep getting warnings about an unresponsive script from Firefox when encoding, from Facebook, GMail or WhatsApp Web.

I'm frameserving from Premiere, using an MJPEG AVI on an external drive (I know, I know, but I don't have that much free space), encoding to an internal drive. MeGUI is on an internal drive.

Could heat be an issue? It's summer here, and we've had a few really hot days recently and I had zero issues with this MeGUI process the five times I ran it a couple of weeks ago. I do remember having this issue a handful of times last summer.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    Could heat be an issue?
    There's obviously something wrong with your computer. Overheating could definitely be an issue. Use a program like CoreTemp to monitor your CPU temps.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
    Quote Quote  
  15. Well, I tried rendering a Lagarith AVI instead of frameserving to MeGUI. After which, with temps 68-77 degrees, Windows Explorer and Firefox both stopped responding and I was forced to reboot. Once I'd logged in, it spent a minute or two with just the taskbar on a blank screen. Right now I'm trying to type with the characters taking a second or two to show up on the screen after I press the keys. Temps 64-71.

The Lagarith is also on an external drive, on account of being twice as large as the amount of free space on my internal drive. I'll give that a whirl through MeGUI, see how it goes.
    Quote Quote  
  16. ~80 degrees is pretty hot though I think it's within spec for an i7. Still, I'd check the CPU fan and heat sink. Make sure the fan is spinning properly and the heat sink isn't clogged with dust.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Fan seems fine, temps pop up to the mid-80s intermittently when encoding through MeGUI.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Well, let's see, you have multiple external drives, several of which keep showing serious issues, also some with bootable partitions, and you keep re-connecting them. Kinda like having browser scripts locking up repeatedly and you keep running them.

I am curious what exactly you expect to happen?

You have exceptionally long boot times yet insist on running encoding progs for hours and apparently wonder why they are slow, as well.

Identify and eliminate defective drives. Identify and eliminate un-necessary startup programs. Investigate possible bad USB ports, power issues, possible overheating, possible virus issues, possible defective peripherals, etc. You have more than one serious issue with your PC. Repairing them will require some dedication of time and effort, involving more than one re-boot for multiple avenues, and the willingness to jettison defective hardware.

Primary recommendation would be to stop doing overnight encodes or in fact ANY OTHER DAMN THING AT ALL until you resolve the issues with the PC, because it is quite possible that you are doing further damage to other components by ignoring the obvious problems.

Strip the box as bare as you possibly can, and eliminate startup software till you have reduced those basic boot times, confirm with MULTIPLE boots, allowing for cool-down time, and verify some sort of consistent result, would be a clear and obvious starting point. Can of compressed air and a clean paint brush, check tension on heatsink mounts.

You have shown neither the willingness nor the patience to properly address the root level of the problem, and I really do not feel like spoonfeeding you thru the entire process. Your PC is broken, fix it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. With the CPU at 80 degrees your case temperature is going to be high too. That could cause failures of other components. Get better/more case fans.

Just FYI: I have a i5 2500K and rarely get temperatures over 60 degrees (usually about 50 degrees under load). And I'm set up for quiet running, not low temps.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    Primary recommendation would be to stop doing overnight encodes or in fact ANY OTHER DAMN THING AT ALL until you resolve the issues with the PC
    Exactly.
    Quote Quote  
  21. If you are putting "fan seems fine" and "CPU temps spike into 80C range", there is something very, very seriously wrong with your definition of "fine". Also, I doubt very seriously that you could get an I7 mobo without USB3 ports, RTFM and report.

Try getting yourself, and better yet somebody who knows WTF they are doing, some actual, useful info.

Boot to the BIOS. Check temps if available. Record time. Do this 3 times. Report useful info. Allow to cool before each boot.

Repeat same test, 3 times, booting to Safe Mode. Report info.

If either of the above tests, or the next one, are made with anything, ANYTHING AT ALL, plugged into a USB port, I will beat you with a stick. DO NOT FAIL to allow significant time to cool.

Use Task Manager to make note of running processes, progs, and services, during the Safe Mode tests. Yes, all three.

Repeat again, now booting normally. BOOT TO THE DESKTOP AND ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE. Repeat Task manager examination. Note differences to Safe Mode. Eliminate, remove, and/or disable ALL repeat ALL unnecessary programs.

Report times and temperatures for all instances and if I or anybody else still gives a crap you will be informed how to proceed further.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    Well, let's see, you have multiple external drives, several of which keep showing serious issues, also some with bootable partitions, and you keep re-connecting them.
    I've only connected two externals, one of which is brand new. As much as I would love to drop everything and fix this, some things need to be done. I have a DVR hard drive that's almost overflowing right now.

Strip the box as bare as you possibly can
    In what sense? Just removing drives, or are there other things as well?

If you are putting "fan seems fine" and "CPU temps spike into 80C range", there is something very, very seriously wrong with your definition of "fine".
    The question was whether it was spinning properly. It looks like it's spinning properly.

FWIW I re-did the thermal paste under the heat sink about a year ago.

Also, I doubt very seriously that you could get an I7 mobo without USB3 ports, RTFM and report.
    If it has USB3, it's a very well-kept secret. Can find nothing in product specs or the product guide even alluding to USB3's existence. The DX58SO launched Q4 2008, and Wiki indicates USB3 wasn't available to consumers until January 2010, so I'd say it's highly, highly likely there are no USB3 ports.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    As much as I would love to drop everything and fix this, some things need to be done.
    How's that working out for you?

Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    The question was whether it was spinning properly. It looks like it's spinning properly.
    Use something like SpeedFan (or the BIOS hardware monitor) to check fan speeds.

FWIW I re-did the thermal paste under the heat sink about a year ago.
    Make sure the heat sink is still securely attached. If the clip has come loose at a corner it won't be making good contact.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    Strip the box as bare as you possibly can
    In what sense? Just removing drives, or are there other things as well?
    Remove everything you can. All expansion cards (even the graphics card if the motherboard has onboard graphics), all internal and external drives. Leave just the motherboard, CPU, memory, and a keyboard. Can you get to the BIOS? Check fan speeds, temps, voltages -- everything the BIOS's hardware monitor shows you. Enable the BIOS's full memory check option if available.

If all that looks normal and works, add you boot drive. Boot to safe mode. Run memory diagnostics. Run CPU stress utilities while monitoring CPU temps, fan speeds, etc.

If all is well, add expansion cards, and other devices one at a time and test them...
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    How's that working out for you?
    Well, I can report two things: firstly, temperatures in the high eighties to mid nineties when doing the second pass of an encode, so clearly temperature issues. Secondly, success with an encode, finally, so that should release the pressure until there's something else I want to commit to disc. Which hopefully takes a while.

Use something like SpeedFan (or the BIOS hardware monitor) to check fan speeds.
    I don't really know my way around the BIOS, or what I'm looking for in SpeedFan. I'm seeing Fan1 971 RPM, Fan2 and Fan3 0 RPM, Fan4 646 RPM. Fan1 just popped up over 1000 briefly, didn't catch the number.

AFAIK Fan2 and Fan3 don't exist as fans, merely motherboard spots for fans.

Make sure the heat sink is still securely attached. If the clip has come loose at a corner it won't be making good contact.
    I'll check that when I shut down.

Run memory diagnostics. Run CPU stress utilities while monitoring CPU temps, fan speeds, etc.
    What should I use for this step?
    Quote Quote  
  26. SO, the fan is actually turning in circles, eh? Clearly no possibility of problem there, then. Good thing you looked at it.

I asked specific questions for specific reasons, but I see you are intent on actually destroying the hardware, so, have fun with that.

I have predicted the future, I no longer give a crap.

High odds you massively effed up the heat sink paste, though. Interesting but with virtually zero possibility of useful information forthcoming I'll likely go watch the grass grow.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    temperatures in the high eighties to mid nineties when doing the second pass of an encode
    That's really hot. It may not be your only problem but it's certainly something that needs fixing. And it's the first thing you need to fix. Any time a computer locks up or crashes under load you are at risk of corrupting drives, burning out hardware, etc. In a worst case scenario you could fry the power supply, motherboard, CPU, memory, drives, etc. This is why you should be using the computer as little as possible until the overheating is fixed.

I don't really know my way around the BIOS
    Just look for the system monitor page. Most modern computers have one in the BIOS.

I'm seeing Fan1 971 RPM... Fan4 646 RPM.
    Those speeds are probably OK (depending on the particular fans) for a computer at idle. You should see them increase under load. If not, you need to figure out why. There's usually a BIOS setting that controls this.

Run memory diagnostics. Run CPU stress utilities while monitoring CPU temps, fan speeds, etc.
    What should I use for this step?
    Try Hardware Monitor: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares.html
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    SO, the fan is actually turning in circles, eh? Clearly no possibility of problem there, then. Good thing you looked at it.

I asked specific questions for specific reasons
    It wasn't even your question, and it was answered as specifically as it was asked.

High odds you massively effed up the heat sink paste, though.
    I made an attempt to solve an overheating issue that, at worst, did nothing. I wouldn't called that 'effing up'.

Interesting but with virtually zero possibility of useful information forthcoming I'll likely go watch the grass grow.
    You asked for information, I provided information. I'm not sure what else you want from me. Whenever I've been given a specific question or place to look, I've done exactly that. Yes, sometimes I answer questions inadequately because I don't know what level of digging needs to be done, but that's not my fault.

That's really hot.
    It's enough to turn the numbers from black to yellow, so I got that impression. I figured 80 was okay, because that was still black, but if you're saying you get 50s/60s...yeah, something's very wrong.

This is why you should be using the computer as little as possible until the overheating is fixed.
    I'm trying to, but I really did need to get that disc done. Just finished burning, fingers crossed it works and I can make do without needing to burn another before this is sorted. I don't happen to have a backup PC I can use for such things temporarily, unfortunately, just a cheap laptop.

Those speeds are probably OK (depending on the particular fans) for a computer at idle. You should see them increase under load.
    Should I be applying load right now, though?

Hang on: You initially asked about the heatsink fan, right? Because that would be a third fan. I was just thinking of the two case fans when I ran SpeedFan earlier. Not sure what the story is there.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Can you get to the BIOS? Check fan speeds, temps, voltages -- everything the BIOS's hardware monitor shows you. Enable the BIOS's full memory check option if available.
    CPU Fan Control Enabled, System Fan Control Enabled, Lowest Fan Speed Slow.

CPU Fan Speed 0840, Aux Fan Speed 0000, Front Fan Speed 0000, Rear Fan Speed 0000 (visually, rear fan and CPU fan both spinning, top fan not spinning).

Processor Thermal Margin 31 C, IOH Temperature 65 C, Motherboard Ambient Temperature 44 C, Voltage Regulator Temperature 53 C.

V12.0 11.937 V, V5.0 5.103 V, V3.3 3.214 V, V1.1 1.067 V, Vccp 1.125 V.

That's with nothing other than the graphics card plugged in AFAIK. Removed a TV Tuner card that doesn't need to be there anyway. Removed the graphics card and gave it extensive compressed air treatment before putting it back. Is still fairly dusty but I did what I could.

Posting for reference, will follow up with second and third boot.

EDIT: Boot 2 has the PTM down to 27 C from 31 after initially booting at 30, IOH down from 65 to 62 before climbing to 69, MAT up from 44 to 46 (now 49), VRT holding steady at 53 before climbing to 57.

EDIT 2: Boot 3, leaving the numbers to settle this time. PTM 29, IOH 64, MAT 46, VRT 53.
    Last edited by koberulz; 15th Dec 2016 at 11:32.
    Quote Quote  
  30. You need to figure out which fans are being monitored. One way to do this is to run the computer with the case open and the case fans disconnected. Does speedfan still show any fans spinning?

So you have two case fans? A heat sink fan, and a power supply fan? The power supply fan usually isn't monitored but some power supplies include leads for monitoring. Are you using the stock heat sink and fan that came with the CPU? Those usually look something like this (older ones may look different):

[Attachment 39930 - Click to enlarge]

Those are usually adequate if you have sufficient case cooling. And they include monitoring when plugged into a motherboard fan connector. I usually use larger heat sinks with heatpipes (better cooling and quieter):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

But a cooler like that might not fit in your case.
    Quote Quote