VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been able to edit and archive SD recordings made on a Panasonic DVDR by the following process:

Copy .mpg files from the Panasonic, load them into Womble Video Wizard DVD 5.0, edit them and join together into a single mpg 2 file which is then loaded into TMPGEnc DVD Author 4, chapter points added and burnt to DVD. The process was lossless (ie no re-encoding of video files except at edit points by either Womble or TMPG).

I wish to now do the same with HD recordings from the Panasonic DVDR, which are exported as .tts files, which is a BDAV container with AVC video stream. I want it to be a lossless process and want to retain the efficiency of AVC video, which rules out editing with Womble which will convert to mpg 2.

Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. TAW4 has smart rendering for Blu Ray compliant video. If your files are compatible, you should be good to go.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Grshaw View Post
    I have been able to edit and archive SD recordings made on a Panasonic DVDR by the following process:

Copy .mpg files from the Panasonic, load them into Womble Video Wizard DVD 5.0, edit them and join together into a single mpg 2 file which is then loaded into TMPGEnc DVD Author 4, chapter points added and burnt to DVD. The process was lossless (ie no re-encoding of video files except at edit points by either Womble or TMPG).

I wish to now do the same with HD recordings from the Panasonic DVDR, which are exported as .tts files, which is a BDAV container with AVC video stream. I want it to be a lossless process and want to retain the efficiency of AVC video, which rules out editing with Womble which will convert to mpg 2.

Any suggestions?
    If you find that TAW 5's editor has difficulty with your recordings due to transmission errors in the recorded stream, VideoReDo TV Suite 5 might be worth trying. VRD TV Suite 5 can correct such errors with minimal re-encoding. VRD can import MTS files ( similar to TTS) so it may be able to import TTS too. VRD edits H.264 video, re-encoding only incomplete GOPs at the cut points. You would still need TAW 5 or similar for Blu-Ray authoring.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I use VideoRedo. It is pretty much the same thing as Womble (which I also use), although it actually has a better interface and also has some very useful tools, especially the Quickstream Fix.

Another option is ffmpeg. There are various GUI front ends you can use. In my case, I wrote an interface between my NLE (Vegas) and ffmpeg. This lets me do the cuts in Vegas, but have them performed by ffmpeg.

VideoRedo does have the option to do frame-accurate cuts, the same as Womble (i.e., re-encoding the two GOPs on either side of the cut so you get the cut on the exact frame you want). ffmpeg doesn't do this, so you end up with cuts on GOP boundaries that can be off by as much as one second. For digitizing old tapes, this often doesn't matter (at least it doesn't to me), so I don't find that too much of a downside.
    Quote Quote