VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've used XMedia Recode to convert all the vids with DTS or AC-3 audio to AAC so I can watch on my crappy Roku media player. Yes, I know; humor me, please.

I used an old version on my crappy desktop w/ Win XP and never had any issues, but my desktop has finally kicked the bucket.

I've been trying to use XMedia on my Win 7 laptop, but every one I've tried has completely butchered the audio. I've tried it about 6 times or so now, even several different files and the result is the same.

I would think w/ a better system, a new OS and a newer version of XMedia this would be easy, but I'm growing frustrated.

I'm really not interested in trying another program, as I'm very familiar w/XMedia and I never convert the video, just the audio. I have tried MediaCoder and gotten it to work to a point, but it's complicated for such a simple task I'm trying to accomplish and I'm not able to convert the audio to the settings I want (I.e., can't seem to nail down the proper bitrate, etc.).

Is there something simple I am missingw XMedia?
    Thanks in advance,
    TFR
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Roku suggests AVIDEMUX. Might peruse this page. and try. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-prep-your-videos-for-playback-on-the-roku-3/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Make screenshots of your settings. We can't tell if you are missing anything because we don't know what you have done. I'd try Fraunhofer FDK AAC, stereo channels, LC-AAC with "quality" and volume normalization 4 for starters.
    Do your AAC files sound butchered on other PCs as well? Maybe it's an AAC playback issue if your new system.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The audio is only butchered on the Roku. Playing these files on an iPad or my PC sounds fine. Very odd.
    Here's a screenshot of what I do audio-wise. All the "preferences" settings are the default settings.
    I'll check out the other suggested programs as well. Appreciate your replies.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot01.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	39003  

Quote Quote  
  5. Try different downmix matrices?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't 44khz and 396 more common
    48khz and 320 seem odd to me

But I am not an audio expert
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    Isn't 44khz and 396 more common
    48khz and 320 seem odd to me

But I am not an audio expert
    48 KHz is the standard for the audio track in most video files.
    Quote Quote