VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi There~
    I know nothing but have been recording, and dubbing tapes since the 80's. I have a Mitsubishi HS-U790 VCR. I just moved it to a different tv. It's digital. The VCR now will record only in EP (EP on this one is 6 hours) but if I try to record in sp it's just blue screen on playback, but it has audio. I don't think I've had that problem on the other tv (non digital) but I have only played tapes most recently. The only problem I've had is tapes getting stuck (often... it's refurbished or used) but I never force them out, I take the lid off and gently assist as I hit eject. The VCR that I had on this digital tv before pooped out, but never had this problem, and was hooked up IDENTICAL to this Mitsubishi, and muuuch older... I've never had the not recording in SP in all the years of vhs-ing. If it records fine in EP I have to have all the hook ups right... right??? I'm sooo confused... Any help would be appreciated... please don't say get a dvr... I have one... I just have no room on our dvr, so I put on VHS when I REALLY want to save.

~Thank you~
    Julie*
    Quote Quote  
  2. The usual problem is the other way around, where recordings don't work or look bad in the slow EP mode.

The fact that you can still record in EP does indeed suggest that the hook ups are correct. The only two things in your story that hint at a problem is that you moved the VCR, during which time it got changed somehow, or that one of the tape extractions you mention didn't go well and damaged something.

The one thing that occurs to me is that when you moved it, you might have changed a switch on the front or the back. The other thing that happens during a move is that the unit doesn't have power for some period of time. Especially with an older unit, the backup battery or capacitor often fails, and the menu settings quickly default to factory standard.

I just looked at the user manual for your model and, starting on page 33, there is a listing of a rather extensive set of menu options that affect recording. I'd play around with these things, especially the "Perfect Picture" settings. Quite a few of these probably only affect SP or EP recording, but not the other way around.
    Quote Quote  
  3. YEA!!!! It's something that was under the flip up part... where you put it on EP, or SP.... it was on S-video, and perfect tape... I changed to video, and to normal, and it seems to have fixed!!!! I know my brother did lots of research b4 buying this, and I was worried it had another glitch. It bites that on the digital tv it shows when the tape is looser in some parts (it's too clear) but I'd rather have it jiggle sometimes than loose the things I know I'll watch more than once. I'm so glad you have this forum... I have the manual... but didn't even know what I was looking for!
    ~Thank you~
    Julie*
    Quote Quote  
  4. You're welcome. My original message mentioned looking for switches hidden behind a flip up panel, but when I looked at the manual, I couldn't tell if your machine had that, so I removed that from my post before I hit "submit."

As for the glitches that show more clearly on a bigger screen, you might still want to play around with those menu settings I mentioned. Some of them change how the auto-tracking works, and some may provide some small time base correction. Either one can sometimes help with tapes that have minor problems.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 29th Sep 2016 at 12:26. Reason: added clarification at end of first paragraph
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by thinksilver View Post
    The only problem I've had is tapes getting stuck (often... it's refurbished or used) but I never force them out, I take the lid off and gently assist as I hit eject.
    This symptom can be a sign of impending doom with this particular Mitsubishi model series (580, 680, 780, 790). They are wonderful "user" VCRs with a great operational feel and super-cool remote. But they have a deadly flaw in the loading slot mechanism: it is entirely made of a very fragile plastic compound which is extremely sensitive to UV (sunlight) decay. After a certain number of years, esp if used in a sunny room, the loading slot mechanism gets more and more brittle until it starts fracturing in a dozen places. This causes load-eject problems at first. Eventually some of the brittle plastic bits shrink, come loose, and fall into the VCR chassis. At that point loading fails altogether and the VCR cannot be fixed.

You might still get a couple years more use from this HS-U790, so no need to panic yet, but I wanted to warn you so you'd be extra-careful when playing any tapes you consider priceless (family camcorder vids, etc). I have owned a 680, 780, and 790 over a period of years and they all failed with the same pattern. I was told by several VCR techs that this was a sore point in the model series that cannot be repaired (no spare parts available). When/if the loader fails in your 790, it will be sudden, and the only way to safely remove a trapped tape is disassembly of the mechanism.

You can get a good idea of current condition by looking closely at the slot internals next time you have the VCR cover off with no tape inside. A "healthy" mechanism shows as white, gray, or very clean clear translucent plastic. If the plastic appears noticeably yellowed or clouded, its on its way out. If you see any cracks forming or chips missing, it is definitely headed toward failure.
    Last edited by orsetto; 29th Sep 2016 at 13:16.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks! the flippy thing is actually on the remote! I do find the manual confusing

I have no idea if it was in direct sunlight before. It's been in my room since I got it... and most days when I'm not moving VCRs I sleep in the day, so I've got black sheets over the window it will only be out in the LR until I get a new one (ASAP) Thanks for the heads up... I'll keep looking for broken plastic now... When I "help" a tape out, I am gentle... I just have to touch the little door on the tape, (with the lid off), But I'll be even more aware... I am pretty good at taking it apart... so I'll try to shake out the plastic should I see it, and look at the colors again... it's like every 9th eject... but I think the pieces inside were white. I'll make sure my band tapes are only played on the new one once we get it. You both are awesome

~Thank You~
    Julie*
    Quote Quote