VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I like the Walkman because it's tiny size and has identical jack input/output as on the computer but does the Cassette Deck produce better quality sound just because of its size accommodation?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by digicube View Post
    I like the Walkman because it's tiny size and has identical jack input/output as on the computer but does the Cassette Deck produce better quality sound just because of its size accommodation?
    Try both and compare the results. How the captures sound to your ears matters more than anything else.

If you don't have a converter cable for the cassette deck's audio output and want a recommendation for one, you will need to post the make and model of the cassette deck.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I only have budget for one ^^; The walkman and cassette deck are priced similarly at around $100 each. I was hoping for someone who has experience in this to advise me which one to get. I have attached a pic on what the audio outputs looks like.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	38305  

Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Get the casette deck. It's a Nakamichi DR-3, and should be better than a Walkman. You need a converter cable similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Dynex-Mini-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B0032JAG4G/ They are often available in the electronics department of general merchandise stores.

[Edit]Use the computer's line-in port if there is one. Otherwise use the microphone port.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I used a cassette deck 15 years ago to convert all of my decent sounding cassettes to digital, I used CD Wave Editor to capture the audio. Audacity is a better solution nowadays though. The important thing to remember when capturing is to keep the peak input levels below 100(0dB), otherwise you will clip the audio. You will need the adapter below which you can find on Amazon. Click image for larger version

Name:	41yTGBnnpqL.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	38306
    EDIT: looks like usually_quiet beat me to it, great minds think alike.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The high end walkman I was thinking of getting is the Sony Walkman WM-EX900. I should still go for the Nakamichi DR-3?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by digicube View Post
    The high end walkman I was thinking of getting is the Sony Walkman WM-EX900. I should still go for the Nakamichi DR-3?
    Yes.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Be aware that the most important feature for quality conversion is ability to adjust azimuth. This is a small screw near the playback head, accessible in play mode after removing the cassette compartment outer cover. Noncommercial recordings have unpredictable azimuth and getting this setting right makes the difference between a dull, muffled sound and a faithful, sparkling sound.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Be aware that the most important feature for quality conversion is ability to adjust azimuth. This is a small screw near the playback head, accessible in play mode after removing the cassette compartment outer cover. Noncommercial recordings have unpredictable azimuth and getting this setting right makes the difference between a dull, muffled sound and a faithful, sparkling sound.

Well azimuth adjustment is one of this actions that normally you not doing - unless it is really necessary (first most of mechanical solutions is very precise and as such not designed for constant adjustment, secondly azimuth adjusting shall be performed with some measurement tools not by listening).

If we think that sound should be better then first thing is well cleaning for all part that have direct contact with tape (head and roll at first place), additionally deck shall be demagnetized (head but not only) - those two things are primary responsible by muffled sound, remain are head condition (quality of the magnetic gap).
    Quote Quote  
  10. I don't recommend using the mic port because it's mono and has a different impedance.

http://sound.stackexchange.com/questions/27539/difference-between-microphone-and-line-in-inputs
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK View Post
    I don't recommend using the mic port because it's mono and has a different impedance.

http://sound.stackexchange.com/questions/27539/difference-between-microphone-and-line-in-inputs
    I did indicate a PC's dedicated audio line-in was preferable, but a laptop probably doesn't have one. Laptops are more likely to have a microphone port, which doubles as the line-in.

[Edit]If there is nothing that will work as a line-in, then I guess the only solution is to buy a USB sound card that has one.

The Startech ICUSBAUDIO7D seems like a good bet. https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Adapter-External-Digital-ICUSBAUDIO7D/dp/B002LM0U2S/
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Aug 2016 at 18:00.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Well azimuth adjustment is one of this actions that normally you not doing - unless it is really necessary (first most of mechanical solutions is very precise and as such not designed for constant adjustment, secondly azimuth adjusting shall be performed with some measurement tools not by listening).
    This is true for in-house use or with professionally-recorded cassettes. But if you are playing cassettes from variable outside sources, the calibrated setting may give you terrible sound. Then you have failed the goal of getting the best possible playback. It's quite easy to find the right setting by ear with a little experience. Phase displays built into popular software like Adobe Audition can nail it precisely with mono sources.

If we think that sound should be better then first thing is well cleaning for all part that have direct contact with tape (head and roll at first place), additionally deck shall be demagnetized (head but not only) - those two things are primary responsible by muffled sound, remain are head condition (quality of the magnetic gap).
    I agree that heads must be kept clean and demagnetized and that worn heads will never give good results. But in my experience transferring scores of audio cassettes, the azimuth setting is most frequently responsible for obtaining full high frequency response.
    Quote Quote