VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    New here to this site, looking for some help for a simple (?) problem. One of my sons sent me a new Sony S1500 BDP player (set for Region Free playing as I have a number of UK DVDs). It only has the HDMI output and my (very) old 60" Sony has only Component inputs available. At first, I obtained a cable that was purported to directly convert HDMI to Component (w/Audio). That didn't work. There was nothing on the screen (blank) and no audio. I swapped to another channel that I knew worked; same result. I did a little research and found that most comments about a direct cable (Amazon reviews) would not work. So I went to the local Fry's store and bought a 'HDMI to Component' converter box and a set of Component cables to connect it to the TV. Hooked it all up; Sony HDMI -to- Converter Box - Component Cables -to- Sony TV. Nada. No change; no picture, no audio. I looked through the Sony BDP sheet and everything indicated that there should be at least some kind of 'home' or 'initial' screen from which to make selections. It indicated that putting a DVD in and 'Play' (just as on any player), I should see the opening screen of the DVD. I don't see anything. I'm reasonably sure the BDP player is OK as it was new in the box; I'm more inclined to believe there is something wrong in the conversion but I don't know how to proceed.
    Any thoughts or directions would be appreciated - also where to post if this is the wrong place.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are you sure you selected the right input on the TV?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This (old) Sony TV has a 'main TV' input (cable/antennae/etc) and multiple channel inputs on the back, each one is a 'channel'; 1-7. You connect the cables to the channel you wish in the back and then using the remote 'TV/Video' button, you cycle between the 'main' and each one of the 7 aux inputs. All of the aux inputs are working (I have swapped between them) but when I get to the one I have the new Component cables attached to, there is nothing.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Is this an SD only TV? Try setting your BD player to output 480i; Though that may be hard to do if you have no way of viewing the picture to navigate through the menus. Or maybe your converter box has some way of specifying 480i.
    Last edited by jagabo; 25th Aug 2016 at 20:25.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Is this an SD only TV? Try setting your BD player to output 480i; Though that may be hard to do if you have no way of viewing the picture to navigate through the menus. Or maybe your converter box has some way of specifying 480i.
    The Blu-ray player's manual suggests the following if there is no picture:
    Reset the [Output Video Resolution] to
    the lowest resolution by pressing
    x STOP, HOME, and then POP UP/
    MENU button on the remote
    If this is the converter, then the product description indicates no setup is needed, which I think means the output resolution always matches the input resolution. Unfortunately Bytecc's website provides no information that isn't in Fry's product description for this item.
    Quote Quote  
  6. From one of the reviews of the BYTECC converter it sounds like the device doesn't support HDCP protected sources.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270612

Code:
    Must set this on PS4 for it to work at all:
    Settings > System > HDCP > Disable
    Some ebay sellers say the same:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BYTECC-HM-CV14-HDMI-to-YPbPr-R-L-Audio-Converter-Transfers-HDM...-/310876820428

Code:
    HDCP may prevent you from viewing content.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are a few HDMI to component converters on Amazon with user reviews indicating that they work with HDCP protected HDMI.

This is one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Portta-PETHR-Component-Converter-*Windows*10/dp/B00A8FIQXA/

This is another:
    https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Premium-Quality-Component-Converter/dp/B017LVMAWG/

The other alternative is to get one of a small number of inexpensive HDMI splitters which remove HDCP as a side effect to use with the current converter. This is one that many here use: https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Powered-Splitter-1080P-Model/dp/B004F9LVXC/
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Aug 2016 at 13:00. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Although the unit from Fry's had no brand markings, it looked exactly like the Bytecc unit which may be why it didn't work (I returned it).
    I was not aware of the HDMI -HDCP problem; it never occurred to me.
    So I ordered one of the PORTTA units and will see how that works. As one said, some of the reviews did mention that the HDCP was stripped so should work for me with the old Sony Wega unit (great TV, by the way; a little soft on blacks but.....)
    My neighbor had a newer TV and he let me test the Sony player; works fine so that's not the problem.
    The splitter was interesting but of no use to me.
    Thanks for all the responses, were of great help to me to discover what was going on.
    When I get the converter, I'll re-post with results.
    Much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I tried the Portta PETHR Premium converter - it didn't work.
    Audio came through but no video. I have initiated a return.
    I have ordered the Universal converter and will wait to see how it plays out.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by silvercbx View Post
    Well, I tried the Portta PETHR Premium converter - it didn't work.
    Audio came through but no video. I have initiated a return.
    I have ordered the Universal converter and will wait to see how it plays out.
    Since you are hearing the audio, there is a chance that the cause of the problem is that your N. American TV is receiving video at SD PAL resolution (720x576) or PAL frame rates (25 fps or 50 fps) via analog component connections and doesn't know how to display it.

A direct HDMI connection may work with your neighbors TV because a direct HDMI connection sends information about what the TV can display to the player. The Porta converter probably tells the player it can take both "PAL" and "NTSC". The Universal converter has a PAL/NTSC switch which should improve the chances that it will work.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, the Universal converter did it!! Powered and cabled up; fired it up and 'voila!!!'. Picture and audio just like it's supposed to be.
    Hooray!!
    The other converters may work for some TVs but didn't for me but the Universal probably will work for anyone's TV.
    Quote Quote