VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm using DVD Flick to convert a (5.191) GB 720p BluRay DD5 1 x264 to a (4.3) GB DVD PAL and as you can see in the image, the target size of the conversion is DVD 4.3 GB. After the encoding finishes *4 hours later) I find that the converted iso or [Audio_ts] + [Video_ts] have 4.8 GB each so when imgburn starts it shows "there doesn't appear to be enough space on the disk to burn this image." - for obvious reasons . Now I know this isn't related to imgburn directly but I don't know where to ask for an answer so if anyone has any idea on how this might actually work please share.

Thank you!
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dvd_flick1.jpg
Views:	1190
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	38107  

Click image for larger version

Name:	imgburn_error.jpg
Views:	1132
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	38108  

Click image for larger version

Name:	imgburn_error_YES.jpg
Views:	1109
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	38109  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I would just run what DVDFlick gave you through DVDShrink, then burn.
    The alternative is to try DVDFlick again....wait a long time....just to see if it screws up again.
    Which one sounds easier?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I would just run what DVDFlick gave you through DVDShrink, then burn.
    Absolutely agree: run the 4.8GB VIDEO_TS thru DVDShrink to create a 4.3GB copy, and feed that to imgBurn instead. Way simpler and less tedious than trying to troubleshoot DVDflick (a fools errand if there ever was one).

This one of several unresolved and unpredictable bugs in DVDflick: occasionally, it overshoots the target size of 4.3GB. I've never been able to pinpoint what triggers this, as it rarely happens, the only pattern I've noticed is High Def MKV source files are more likely to cause it.

Running the oversized VIDEO_TS thru DVDShrink, DVDfab or CloneDVD solves the problem with very little impact on image quality (most of the compression has already been done by DVDflick). Alternatively, you could burn the existing 4.8GB result to a dual-layer DVD+R (if you have one handy). Your 4.8GB overshoot is at the outside limit of this glitch: I've never had DVDflick go that far over. Most of my overshoots were between 4.5GB and 4.6GB.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you guys for clearing this up - I thought it was something wrong on my part. After running this two times with DVD Flick (that's 8 hours lost) I ended up doing my encoding with ConvertXtoDVD but I also tried the DVDShrink method just to see if it works.

I ended up seeing another weirdness. When I have downloaded the DVDShrink straight from the link I see here all went well from start to finish but when I moved to a different computer I googled DVDShrink and ended up into their home page (http://www.dvdshrink.org/download.php), into the downloads section. After hitting "3.2.0.15 - Click here to download it!" link I got an error from chrome telling me that it's not safe to download this software.

Any thoughts on that matter?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dvd_shrink_warning.png
Views:	193
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	38112  

Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Because I already installed a "clean" version of DVDshrink (found here on videohelp) I decided to shrink my files in order to see what happens and with "Automatic" 91%, showing 3,901 MB - selected in the compression settings I ended up getting 4.68 GB from 4.81 still not enough to fit the default 4.3 GB DVD. I guess I should have used "Custom ratio" and ignore the estimated final size and just try to get something close to 4.3 GB
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't trust some sites that offer a download of DVDShrink. They may be malware. Others offer it for sale, though it's freeware.

Programs use different methods of estimating encoded size, some not very accurately.

The real size of a DVD SL disk is about 4.37GB, but better to choose a slightly smaller number, just to be safe.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The 8 hour encoding time you're seeing with DVDflick should not be happening: the average on a middling i3 laptop is 39 to 57 minutes (based on a single MKV source, i.e. a typical movie). When pulling together a dvd from half a dozen assorted video files of mixed type (AVI+MP4+MKV) it should take between one and two hours tops. Excessively long encoding duration is almost always traceable to one of two causes: you have the wrong version of FFMPEG in the DVDflick program folder, and/or one of your source MP4 or MKV files has an audio track that DVDflick chokes on.

DVDflick v1.3.0.6 runs pretty snappy, but versions 1.3.0.7 and newer run like a snail on some CPUs because they install a buggier version of FFMPEG. You can speed up your encoding times dramatically by reverting to DVDflick v1.3.0.6, or switching out the FFMPEG file in later versions. There was a customized optional "FFMPEG v0.5" that solved the slowdown issue for the final versions of DVDflick, unfortunately the links I have to download sites are long dead. The FFMPEG.exe is located in C> Program Files (x86)> DVDflick> bin folder.

Even with the revised FFMPEG, DVDflick occasionally slows to a crawl if it doesn't like the audio formatting in a particular MP4 or MKV. The workaround for that is to open the problem file in an editor like AvantiGUI, and have it demux the audio track as a separate AAC file. You then open the problem video in DVDflick, delete the original audio track, and add the AAC you just created. DVDflick will encode this revision much quicker.

If you've ever wondered why all the forum chatter is about using AVS2DVD, with little mention of DVDflick anymore, the above problems are the answer. DVDflick is a nifty little program, and when it works its much simpler than AVS2DVD. But when DVDflick doesn't function right, which happens with annoying frequency, the workarounds are a bigger PITA than just using AVS2DVD instead (or ConvertXToDVD or whatever). DVDflick is abandonware that hasn't had developer support in years.
    Last edited by orsetto; 10th Aug 2016 at 16:17.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think he said 4 hrs each, two tries with DVD flick

Very unusual for DVD shrink to create a file/folder larger than the target setting
    This is beginning to sound like some PC error or maybe some extra attached file material
    Being included
    Do you have extra material in the source folder or the DVD flick folder
    Images, extra audio, ? Anything shrink may not be looking at that is just copied and not compressed?
    Last edited by theewizard; 10th Aug 2016 at 23:34.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    @redwudz "some sites that offer a download of DVDShrink" well, that website it's not just "some sites" .. it's www.dvdshrink.org - and it comes first for googleing "dvdshrink" and if they're not the rightfull owners of this software and they try to deliver some "crafted" version of it then they should not be up and running

@orsetto You're way too techie for me I understand that DVDShrink it's not usable anymore and any other workaround is advisable. I first found out about dvdFlick when googleing for "video to dvd" on a lifehacker post but now when I'm looking more carefully I see that's a 11/10/08 post so all now makes perfect sense.

@theewizard I have no extra material in the source folder and my computer's cpu is a i7@2.90 with 16GB ram and as far as I can tell it works just fine
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mediaguy7 View Post
    i understand that dvdshrink it's not usable anymore and any other workaround is advisable.
    wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    @hech54 Well, a simple "wrong" will not change my opinion
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    i understand that dvdshrink it's not usable anymore and any other workaround is advisable.
    wrong.
    I think mediaguy7 meant to say "DVDflick" instead of DVDShrink": he was replying to my comments about DVDflick.

Re DVDShrink still returning a larger-than-4.3GB result: check what theewizard suggested, and perhaps what redwudz mentioned about the manual target size setting. DVD compression programs like Shrink almost never overshoot a target size of Single Layer 4.3GB. If nothing you do in DVDShrink will compress this VIDEO_TS below 4.3GB, the problem is likely some obscure hiccup DVDflick had when authoring the dvd files. I'd strongly suggest you just buy a couple dual-layer discs somewhere and just burn the 4.8GB VIDEO_TS as is.

Or, write off the 8 hours DVDflick tore out of your life and discard that 4.8GB folder (sucks, I know). Start over with another authoring tool to make your dvd (you may have already done that with ConvertXToDVD, if I'm reading your previous post correctly: did it make a proper 4.3GB VIDEO_TS for you?)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @hech54 Well, a simple "wrong" will not change my opinion
    Well everyone's opinion here is that you are doing something wrong Or there is something you are not telling us.
    I've personally never seen DVDShrink "not" do it's job. DVDShrink does one thing at it still does it very well, it transcodes
    valid, DVD Video VIDEO_TS folders down in size to fit onto a single layer DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is the ripping of the commercial DVD that is no longer reliable in DVD Shrink. The rest of it's functionality is intact.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you have dFab Pass key, running as background process
    DVD shrink, will still work on many newer DVDs, exceptions being the latest release with a new encryption that passkey does not yet cover
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Orsetto was the smartest here He is right, I meant to say "DVDflick" instead of DVDShrink. I have nothing against DVDShrink besides the strange warning from chrome
    Quote Quote