VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I hope this is the right forum, as splitting software is often grouped with conversion software. I am generating large files (13 GB) by capturing taped video onto my hard drive. I need to be able to break them into pieces to import to my NLE. There are a ton of splitter softwares available, both free and reasonably priced, and I need help in choosing one. What is important is that the video stays original quality, and that I can copy/save the split up pieces without having to jump through hoops (such as deleting and re-opening the original for each section I want to take out.) Windows 10, files are .avi. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by stevenbyrd View Post
    I am generating large files (13 GB) by capturing taped video onto my hard drive. I need to be able to break them into pieces to import to my NLE.
    This is what an NLE does. Please provide more information about what software you are using and why want your files pre-split. And welcome to the forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    13GB isn't large for an nle
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. I agree, my NLE will do this. However, the program I am producing will be using material from 10 individual tapes, each 13 GB and each an hour long. To import 10 hours of video into Premiere Pro, AND Photoshop and then try to pick seconds-long clips out of them is a job I think you would agree is onerous. I just want to find, decide to use and then isolate each short clip before hand.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Again, that's exactly what an NLE is for. If the files already exist as files, drop them into Premiere and subclip your selections.

If your files are on tape you can use premiere to scroll through, mark and capture your selected footage.

How were you planning to view and select otherwise?
    Last edited by smrpix; 28th Jul 2016 at 12:55.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Look, I am a professional videographer and editor. I work in cinema and TV. I'm sure I know as much about video editing as you do, perhaps more. Why do you insist on treating me like a stupid noob. I'm just asking for a simple product recommendation for a piece of software that I, unfortunately, have no familiarity with. If all you want to do is harass me, I will happily go elsewhere, or figure it out on my own.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by stevenbyrd View Post
    I agree, my NLE will do this. However, the program I am producing will be using material from 10 individual tapes, each 13 GB and each an hour long. To import 10 hours of video into Premiere Pro, AND Photoshop and then try to pick seconds-long clips out of them is a job I think you would agree is onerous. I just want to find, decide to use and then isolate each short clip before hand.

I love AviDemux.....older versions though. I deal mostly with DVD/mpeg2 stuff. If you are using more advanced, newer codecs then there my be better choices....like VideoRedo. Both can cut losslessly but Redo does it easier(easier to learn).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by stevenbyrd View Post
    Look, I am a professional videographer and editor. I work in cinema and TV. I'm sure I know as much about video editing as you do, perhaps more.
    I doubt that. But best of luck.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by stevenbyrd View Post
    Look, I am a professional videographer and editor. I work in cinema and TV.
    Yet you haven't yet told us what kind of video you have? Does that mean you don't know? Taking a wild guess, I'd say it's DV-AVI. Open it in Virtual Dub, set the in and out points, make sure Video is set for 'Direct Stream Copy' and save the part(s) you want. If for some reason it doesn't open, install the Cedocida codec. And if it isn't DV-AVI (and you don't know what it is), maybe post the MediaInfo text file for it.

You'll get nowhere by insulting smrpix. You're the one asking what should be a fairly basic question for an experienced professional such as yourself. Of course he's treating you as a beginner.
    Quote Quote