VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and wanted the input from those who have been at this longer than I.

I have a NAS full of my backup copies of my DVD & BD movies in their original formats that I've ripped over the years. I am finally building a Plex system and need to convert them to a usable container. I want to keep them Lossless and my understanding is *.mkv is a lossless format and I think that is the format I am going to use. My question is, once my conversion is complete is there any reason to keep the original disc file formats or can I delete them and save the disc space in my NAS?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That is exactly what I have done - but you won't save any net space as the MKV file of your DVD will be the same size as the original DVD or Blu Ray unless you only convert the main movie title and remove all other features, but there won't be much in the way of saving space unless you have hundreds of course. MKV is actually a container.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try the program MakeMKV. It just changes the container to MKV and is very fast. But I would just convert the main movie to save space.
    Main movies run from maybe 23GB to maybe 40GB, 30GB being common.

Now if you want to save space you can try a program like VidCoder and reduce them to whatever size you want and still use the MKV container.
    I use 8GB. The conversion can take a few hours.

Both programs are freeware.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since you have already have .ISOs, give Mezzmo a try. I've been using it for years.

Pro: It will play .ISOs (definitely DVD, haven't trid a BD yet, but reported to be capable). Supports subtitles. Works through DLNA.
    Con: It won't show the menus or any video shorrter than 15 min by default (though this can be changed by a text entry in the image folder)
    Quote Quote