VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone,

My question is about creating scc format. Or atleast a stl that can be converted to scc.

I have created a subtitle file for a documentary in stl format. It was successful as a subtitle file on the DVD.
    I gave this file to a production house to convert to scc format and import and insert into line 21.
    When the production house tried to import it, they said it had too many errors.

I was told the scc should have no more than 32 characters and to be safe..minimum of 2 lines.
    So, i went through my stl, and split hundreds of captions to adhere to the 32 charaacters/2line rule.
    There is min 2 frames distance between captions.

They tried to convert. They sent me screen grabs showing about 75% of my captions having this message.
    <forced to shorten start of subtitle xx.> the xx is where the subtitle number is listed.

I am at a bit of a loss. My first attempt was a subtitle file which was totally fine...as layover subtitles and was authored onto the DVD. This however was not suitable for scc format..(to be embedded in line 21)

I am not sure what to change. I don't want to send it to he caption house as it will cost me a rediculous amount of money when ive done all the work, I just dont seem to have the format correct.
    Can anyone offer advice as to why this error is occurring?

appreciate you comments
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Line21 stuff refers to VBI Closed Captioning, which has extremely low data capacity compared to lots of standard Subtitle formats, and is meant for a different purpose (deaf & hard of hearing transcription) so it needs to be formatted quite differently from the ground up.
    There are sites on the web that describe good CC formatting style (incl. WGBH-TV).

Scott
    Quote Quote