VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello.
    I just started using AVStoDVD, I wanted to convert an .MKV media file so that I could then burn it to a DVD. Once I saw the result, I was pleased except with the subtitles. It is a video with subs in English and Spanish, but the Spanish subs come up very oddly, with strange symbols and marks when the actual letters have some sort of accent (e.g. In spanish "visión" = visiŠn).

The subs from the original .MKV file were integrated into the video file (if that's the correct way to say it), not separate .srt files. I would like any help you can give me.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Extract the Spansih subs with MKVCleaver. Open it in Notepad -> Save As. Make sure the Encoding at the bottom says "UTF-8". Use the saved subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sorry to bother again, but this just isn't working. I used MKVCleaver to extract the subs in Spanish, these were in a .ASS file format.

When saving the file, I did note the enconding was already UTF-8.

I tried using simply .TXT format, .SRT format (which according to AVStoDVD "cannot be parsed") and the very .ASS format, when I used AVStoDVD again.

In the first case, it didn't work, it just had 2 sub tracks in English. In the second case, it wasn't capable of accepting the file format. And in the last case, it gave me the Spanish subs with no changes still unable to read grammatical symbols correctly.

Am I doing something wrong or is there anything else I could try? I appreciate any help given.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I made a test with a one line subtitle (visión). When softcoding it comes out alright in .srt format but fails for .ass. However hardcoding the .ass it comes out alright as well.

I don't understand your problem with .srt.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm sorry but would it be possible to upload my subs and share the link here?
    It would open with notepad, being an .ASS file.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You don't need a link for that. Zip it and use the "Upload files/Manage attachments" button.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would use gMKVExtractGU to extract any of the tracks in a MKV file - some Sub files may well be ass but can be easily converted to srt. ie ASS2SRT https://sourceforge.net/projects/ass2srv/
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote