VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

This is my first participation in VideoHelp.
    My name is Renato, I'm a 60 y.o. retired brazilian guy who likes movies and I'm far from being a computer videos expert.

Recently I've downloaded a release of an old video movie file wich fits a subtitle perfectly but this file is too large (7,5GB). I converted it via x264 available in my VirtulDub instalation but it's big, yet (3,5GB). It's a 180 minutes long movie, 1218 x 720 pixels. As example I have movies (YIFI, MKVCage or anonimousx releases) with 800MB~1GB, and not much smallest in time than the one I'm trying to recode.

Now I read that x265 codec can reduce the size of movie files without losing quality, but I can't find anything on how to install this codec neither where can I downloaded that though the Internet.

How can I set my VirtualDub 1.10.4 build 35491 to make it capable to encode videos with x265 codec as an option in Video Compression?

Thanks.

P.S.: If I missed some needed information, please ask me.
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    You can get x265 binaries @:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/357754-%5BHEVC%5D-x265-EXE-mingw-builds

As for VirtualDub's external encoder feature:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/367446-Virtualdub-External-Encoder-feature

I converted it via x264 available in my VirtulDub instalation but it's big, yet (3,5GB). It's a 180 minutes long movie, 1218 x 720 pixels.
    A 3-hour movie, @ 1280x720, fitting on a single-layer DVD Why are you asking for more

Originally Posted by rmlazzari View Post
    P.S.: If I missed some needed information, please ask me.
    As example I have movies (YIFI, MKVCage or anonimousx releases) with 800MB~1GB
    Please read the page below (again).

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/72386-Forum-rules-Acceptable-Use-Policy-(AUP)?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gosh! I almost said the name of release!

Excuse, please!

And thanks for the material to read.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well... I've got 2 files:

1 - x265_1.9+217-626fcbac7ffb.7z
    2 - Virtualdub_External_Encoder.zip

After decompressing, I got 2 folders (with files in):

1 - C:\Documents and Settings\Leda\Meus documentos\Downloads\x265_1.9+217-626fcbac7ffb
    x265.exe
    x265ml64.exe

2 - C:\Documents and Settings\Leda\Meus documentos\Downloads\Virtualdub_External_Encoder
    External_Encoder_Tut.mp4
    MySettings.vdprof

As I understood watching the tutorial, as I can store encoder and muxer somewhere in my HDD, I think is not bad idea to keep them in the same folder used by VirtualDub. Then I created 2 folders under the folder wich contais the VirtualDub and copied the files there:

C:\Arquivos de programas\VDub\ext_enc\MySettings.vdprof
    C:\Arquivos de programas\VDub\x265\x265.exe

Now, before start the process you describe in tutorial (VirtualDub / "Options" / "External Encoders..." / "Import...") I've got some doubts:

Today, when I want to recode, in VirtualDub I do "Video" / "Compression..." and the last option is x264vfw - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC CODEC. I saw in tutorial that, after importing from MySettings.vdprof, there is an option for x264 (MP4 (video/audio) 1 x264 - HQ). I know where is x265.exe but have no ideia where is x264.exe or something like. In the folder C:\Arquivos de programas\x264vfw are an icon and an uninstall files. I think I must Remove x264 from the .vdprof I imported before using VirtualDub, is that correct? I ask because I'd like to keep x264 as an option to recode and, today, the External Encoders window is empty, as in the Encoders as in Encoder Sets tabs.

I read somewhere, before join VideoHelp, is a good idea using x265 version 64bits even if under a 32bits system. Is that correct? Must I have copy to C:\Arquivos de programas\VDub\x265 the x265ml64.exe file instead of x265.exe?

May I set the path to x265.exe (or x265ml64.exe) directly in the External Encoders window, tab Encoder sets? Or I'd have to edit the .vdprof file before importing it? I ask because the .vdprof file is kind of complicated for me...

Is this enough pointing to C:\Arquivos de programas\VDub\x265\x265.exe (or x265ml64.exe) in the External Encoders windows tab Encoder sets to make the option "x265" or something like that when I choose an compression codec via "Video" / "Compression..." in VirtualDub?

As I was searching before boring you, reading this topic ( https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/379090-i-want-x265-for-VirtualDub ), I became a little confused. Must I get the files indicated by Bernix ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpxplay/files/x265vfw/ ) or the ones you indicated me are enough? And as I saw in your tutorial, you did "File" / "Export" / "Using external encoder..." instead of "File" / "Save as AVI...", as I use to recode with x264. These are two ways of doing the same? Wich one I must take?

Must I set the way x265 will work? Or the defaut settings are ok? If it's good idea to setting, is there a window (like others codecs, in "Video" / "Compression..." VirtualDub's menu) for change these settings?

Last and a little off topic, if I'm not boring you, could you please indicate some place in the Inernet for me to learn about technics aspects of video files, something like relations between dimentions (width x heigh) and bit rate to get the smallest file without loosing quality?

Thank you!
    Quote Quote