ID:	37417
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks my friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    But don't save the result in an AVI file. The AVI container was already obsolete for H.264 content, and is even more obsolete for H.265 video. Instead, let it save the HEVC video stream as separate file. MP4 (or MKV) as container should be preferred (instead of AVI) to multiplex it later with audio streams.

For modern video content formats not suitable for the AVI container anymore, VirtualDub also supports "external Encoders" (and multiplexers), e.g. x264 or x265 as CLI encoders + mkvmerge or MP4Box as CLI multiplexers.
    Last edited by LigH.de; 17th Jun 2016 at 02:55.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    But don't save the result in an AVI file. The AVI container was already obsolete for H.264 content, and is even more obsolete for H.265 video. Instead, let it save the HEVC video stream as separate file.
    I believe x265vfw does not have this feature (yet).
    Quote Quote  
  5. I used to be a strong advocate for x264vfw but after mb-tree it become a serious liability. I also had to export H.265 video into AVI with Grapheditor in the very beginning because I could easily change the FPS in Virtualdub when I needed to. I agree with the others, avoid AVI if possible.
    Use lossless codecs with virtualdub to save the edited video and then encode to x265 normally with x265.exe.

I believe x265vfw does not have this feature (yet).
    Wait, virtualdub can export to MP4/MKV? As of when? o_O
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Since v1.10.x - with "external Encoders". Example in German

VirtualDub will then pipe raw video (and maybe audio) into a CLI encoder reading from STDIN, writing to an output file. You can combine a video encoder, an audio encoder, and a multiplexer to an external encoder set. Then you can use this set to export the video project, instead of encoding it with VfW codecs.
    Last edited by LigH.de; 17th Jun 2016 at 17:17.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Cool, I'd like to test this. What do I type in the command arguments? Everything I'd normally put in the x264 commandline? Do I leave out the --output parameter since the Output name of this feature will take care of it?

Virtualdub still can't export direct stream MP4/MKV though, right?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    VirtualDub on its own will always only save AVI, I guess...

You will need all command line options necessary to work with a piped raw video input (imagine it like: virtualdub.exe | x26?.exe - ...). Look at the linked German example, there are samples for the "Command arguments" too.

Using x264 as CLI encoder for a temporary video output to be multiplexed afterwards, you will e.g. need:
    [ --demuxer raw - --input-res %(width)x%(height) --fps %(fpsnum)/%(fpsden) (some bitrate control) -o "%(tempvideofile)" ]

For x265 you can omit --demuxer raw because x265 will expect raw input only, anyway (yet).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you need it in english along with example scripts, see here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/367446-Virtualdub-External-Encoder-feature
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need program Like VirtualDubMod cut video and converter to mkv or MP4 x265

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So, what's your question?

It's all been answered already.........
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AviDemux includes X265 encoding (under 'Video' on side menu) and can save as mp4 or mkv (under 'Format' on side menu).
    Last edited by sambat; 18th Jun 2016 at 20:25. Reason: Clarity
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's a simple method to remux an AVI into MKV, just do "ffmpeg -i input.avi -c copy -o output.mkv".

I'd like to know if this VFW x265 codec supports nVidia CUDA and if it does, how do I enable it?

I'm currently converting an uncompressed AVI file to x265 Main profile with quantizer 15 on very slow preset and it's obviously running on CPU with 5-5.5 fps, which should go much higher if encoded on my SLI 1080 Ti.

So if this VFW codec doesn't support CUDA and/or SLI, is there a codec that does and works? I tried something called nvencc, but it throws all kinds of errors, mainly of unsupported input video formats and such, so it's pretty useless.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Again, and again, and again: The x265 implementation of a HEVC video codec uses the CPU only. If anything uses the GPU, it is not x265 but a different HEVC codec.

Because x265 does not use your graphic chipsets, it won't benefit from a system with SLI = two graphic chipsets working in parallel.

The advantage of x265 is that it is a quite complex video codec which is able to search thoroughly for similarities in the video which can be used to encode efficiently. This requires a wide scope, comparing several frames in the past and future around the currently encoded frame. If you use a HEVC codec which works on your GPU, the scope will be smaller, the encoding will be less efficient, despite being possibly faster. You pay for the speed with a higher bitrate to preserve enough quality.

If you use a quantizer as low as 15, why do you use the "very slow" preset? You will probably not notice an obvious difference to results of faster presets. And don't use a constant quantizer, use a rate factor instead (CRF): this can spare some bitrate by using slightly coarser quantization where finer is really not necessary to preserve enough quality.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by wysiwygbg View Post

I'm currently converting an uncompressed AVI file to x265 Main profile with quantizer 15 on very slow preset and it's obviously running on CPU with 5-5.5 fps, which should go much higher if encoded on my SLI 1080 Ti.

So if this VFW codec doesn't support CUDA and/or SLI, is there a codec that does and works? I tried something called nvencc, but it throws all kinds of errors, mainly of unsupported input video formats and such, so it's pretty useless.
    You can try ffmpeg nvenc. Since ffmpeg supports many input formats and supports various pixel type conversions
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    By the way, this thread is so old (almost 2 years already before you replied again) ... in the meantime, there is VirtualDub2 (former VirtualDub FilterMod) which includes several video codecs like x264 and x265 to be used like in ffmpeg, without VfW codec, and can output the result in MP4 or MKV containers as well.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for renewing the old thread, but I was googling around for about an hour and this thread seemed appropriate.

Lately I rarely encode, so I'm a bit out of the loop with the newest softwares in the genre.

VirtualDub2 is new to me, I just tried it - it doesn't look that it can be used like ffmpeg (a lot less customizable quality), but still good upgrade over the old VirtualDub.

I'll try the ffmpeg nvenc function, which seems to have some quality control and variable quantizer.

Is something like this a good way to keep the original input quality of any file recorded with my digital camera or should I change something in it? I want to make the files smaller possibly without any loss of visual quality, but without having to wait for CPU encoding.

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input -c:v hevc_nvenc -profile main -level 6.2 -rc:v vbr_minqp -qmin:v 15 -qmax:v 21 -b:v 10000k -maxrate:v 40000k -pixel_format yuv444p -preset lossless output
    Another question - since SLI is apparently not supported by any current codec, if I want to use both my GPUs at the same time, I assume I can encode two files at the same time - one file per GPU, is that so and would it reflect in any way on the resulting quality of the output?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    I did not say that a user can use VirtualDub2 like ffmpeg. I said that VirtualDub2 uses the encoders like ffmpeg does, with the same programming interface: libavcodec (a more or less direct access to the codec kernel instead of a detour via the legacy VfW interface, which was developed for Windows 3.1).

I am not sure about SLI, but I could imagine that it should be possible to run two encoders (e.g. NVEncC or the nvenc library in ffmpeg) if you are able to select either graphic card in each encoder's command line call.

I never used NVEncC, but it can probably only handle raw YUV 4:2:0, so you may have to pipe video from an AviSynth script using avs2pipemod or a similar tool, if it cannot read from AviSynth directly. Another tool which may help you here is Hybrid by Selur.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Each host system is limited to 2 simultaneous instances for nvenc , unless you have a quadro . You can spawn 2 instances with 1 card, the other card will not be used. Quality will not be affected. If your memory is enough (depends on video also, resolution mainly), speed will not really be affected either (might be -0.5% in the absence of other bottlenecks)

But you might be limited by read speeds. Uncompressed video I/O (depending on pixel type, resolutiion) might be a bottleneck unless you have fast storage (ssd's or raid-0)

The quality and compression ratio is significantly lower than x265. Or you need signifcantly larger filesizes for a given level of "quality". But it will be many times faster
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you guys for the responses, I appreciate it.

After some tests I found out very good hevc_nvenc settings for my case, where I want to make the videos recorded with my Nikon D5500 camera smaller. Running this line makes the recordings about 30% of their original size and the quality looks the same on a 65" plasma TV, so no apparent quality loss:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.mov -c:v hevc_nvenc -profile:v main -level 6.2 -tier high -rc:v vbr_minqp -qmin:v 15 -qmax:v 25 -weighted_pred 1 -c:a flac output.mkv
    Also I found out that I can use the "-gpu" option of hevc_nvenc to select which GPU it should use, this way I can convert two files simultaneously on my current system and everything converts very very fast .
    Last edited by wysiwygbg; 27th Apr 2018 at 08:04.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by mmkk View Post
    I want to installing 265 for VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod
    Windows 7
    I want like this

[Attachment 37417 - Click to enlarge]
    Grab VirtualDub2 and x265VFW file.

Link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpxplay/?source=navbar

You can also link to external encoding and muxing software. You also have the option to use the Frameserver function.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	2462
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	45529  

Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    By the way, this thread is so old (almost 2 years already before you replied again) ... in the meantime, there is VirtualDub2 (former VirtualDub FilterMod) which includes several video codecs like x264 and x265 to be used like in ffmpeg, without VfW codec, and can output the result in MP4 or MKV containers as well.
    Thank you very much, this saved me the headache of figuring out HTF I would handle Virtualdub External Encoder !!!

Now,.... if someone can figure out how to mod VirtualDub so it can handle multiple audio streams ..........................
    Looking for subtitles of: Höök tt0997023, Lime tt0269480, La clé sur la porte tt0077348. tt=iMDb.com Found Desideria tt0081724 subtitle! :-)
    Quote Quote