VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Last month I ordered a 128 gig IDE ssd (shipped from China) Finally got it Tuesday, cloned drive from my (really) old Toshiba laptop. This made a HUGE difference in boot time (= 18 seconds = 360 total security) and the machine runs at least as fast as my newer machine. I am impressed. Plus its 4 times + larger than the original hdd (30 g).

I actually prefer the old one with its 4-3 screen over w/s's. Even more now. (Yah yah, I know, 4-3? XP home? 20th century caveman)

I bought on ebay this -> "128GB KingSpec 2.5-inch PATA/IDE SSD" 80 bucks, free shipping. Took a month to arrive tho, , ,

Thought I'd pass this along, , ,

-c-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  2. From China? Probably has a root kit.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    XP is not a great OS for SSD use because it doesn't know what to do automatically. Did you do any research on setting up an SSD to use with XP? You have to know what you are doing to set up an SSD for XP, otherwise its life will be short.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    XP is not a great OS for SSD use because it doesn't know what to do automatically. Did you do any research on setting up an SSD to use with XP? You have to know what you are doing to set up an SSD for XP, otherwise its life will be short.
    I made several changes/additions to the registry regarding ssd's. Still looking for other 'good' mods, comp still starts, so I guess I didnt screw up too bad, , , so far.

One thing mentioned several times was/is to leave about 10% of the drive un-formatted.

How can I do that?

(I used partition wizard free to clone old drive to ssd)

-c-
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    I made several changes/additions to the registry regarding ssd's. Still looking for other 'good' mods, comp still starts, so I guess I didnt screw up too bad, , , so far.

One thing mentioned several times was/is to leave about 10% of the drive un-formatted.

How can I do that?

(I used partition wizard free to clone old drive to ssd)

-c-
    The usual advice is to leave 25% of the drive's capacity unused, not unformatted. Once the drive fills up beyond a certain point, the drive becomes less speedy and wear leveling can't do its job.

A little light reading for you:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/165472/6-things-you-shouldnt-do-with-solid-state-drives/
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/jeff_stokes/2011/05/20/what-do-you-do-when-you-wan...d-state-drive/
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Jun 2016 at 14:30. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are still bottlenecked by the IDE interface bandwidth of 133MB/s.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One of my links abovw contained a dead link that was supposed to explain the process for aligning partitions on an SSD with a computer running Windows XP. Since that link doesn't work, here are some instructions, about half-way down the page: http://club.myce.com/f138/what-ssd-ssd-faq-297856/

Everything I have read about SSDs says they shouldn't be used in IDE mode. I wonder how/if your SSD gets around that problem?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One of my links abovw contained a dead link that was supposed to explain the process for aligning partitions on an SSD with a computer running Windows XP. Since that link doesn't work, here are some instructions, about half-way down the page: http://club.myce.com/f138/what-ssd-ssd-faq-297856/

Everything I have read about SSDs says they shouldn't be used in IDE mode. I wonder how/if your SSD gets around that problem?
    ?? Its an IDE drive, , ,

-c-

Thanx 4 the link.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post

?? Its an IDE drive, , ,

-c-

Thanx 4 the link.
    Never mind I found an answer. Your drive cannot get around the problem IDE causes. Fortunately the problem isn't terrible, compared to the inherent slowness of IDE itself.

IDE doesn't support NCQ, (Native Command Queing). NCQ optimizes the order in which read and write commands are executed, which allows both SSDs and regular hard drives to operate more efficiently.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Putting an IDE ssd drive in a computer is like putting Z rated tires on a Yugo. Sure the tires can handle 150+ MPH, but the Yugo cannot go that fast. Same with the SSD, it can handle incredible reead/write speeds, but the IDE interface can't go that fast it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    For sequential sure, but random 4K reads even on fast NVMe drives like Samsung 950 are less than 50MB/sec.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    However fast or slow IDE is, it is a whole lot faster with an SSD vs an HDD installed, , , ,

(The laptop is like 15 yrs old, I really like it, it does what I want, it does not crash, I prefer 4-3 screen for net surfing <- I have 27", 24" 21" ws monitors, I have/use a 21.5" eizo 4-3 monitor, I'm using it right now, , , ,)

-c-
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Access time is more important than throughput for average everyday use. I'm sure he is seeing the same performance increase that everyone else sees using an SSD on a newer machine.

Besides, the only way around the IDE limitation is to replace the entire laptop and there is no reason to do that as it works fine.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote