VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I have the blu-ray burner installed and running on my mac pro 1,1.

I have an authored blu-ray on my hard drive I want to burn. There are 2 folders - BDMV and certificate.

I have been told to burn this so it plays on a blu-ray player I need to use UDF 2.50. I have Toast 11.04, the last version before Roxio seemingly put a governor on the burn speeds.

Does this version of Toast support that? I have the BD/HD Plug in.

Would I pick DVD Rom UDF? Isn't that 1.02? Do I do BDMV folder? If so, do I also copy over the certificate folder? Or just burn the BDMV folder using that option.

Not sure how to go about doing this. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Burn both folders at 2.50 udf.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, but how do I go about doing that? Can Toast do that or do I need another program?

My main needs are this:

1. Burn BDMV/Certificate folders to blu-ray discs
    2. Convert .mkv files to iso to burn to blu-ray discs
    3. rip blu-ray discs

is there one program that does all this or do I need separate ones? I tried installing ts mixer and that didn't work as it kept crashing. I am on a mac pro 1,1 running 10.7.5.

Thanks!

I saw something called Data Burn + in the Apple app store. Would something like that do the above tasks?
    Last edited by jabbo5150; 21st Mar 2016 at 02:07.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you opt to burn a disc in Data mode, DVD-ROM (UDF), then it will use UDF 1.02, not v2.50. Not sure what could break (if anything) if you did use this, though.
    If you opt to burn a disc in Video mode, BDMV Folder, then you can add an already authored Blu-ray folder. I think this option was added just for situations like yours.
    From the Toast (v14) User Guide:
    Making a BDMV Folder Disc
    You can create a Blu-ray video disc by using an already authored and valid BDMV Folder. A BDMV folder contains the media files for the Blu-ray Disc’s video and audio content and is located at the root level of the disc.
    This is the best choice if you have a BDMV folder that was created by Toast or another Blu-ray Disc authoring application.
    To make a BDMV folder disc:
    1 From the main Toast window, click Video.
    2 Choose BDMV Folder from the format selection menu.
    3 Drag-and-drop your BDMV Folder in to the content area.
    A summary of the information that will be copied appears in the content area.
    4 Insert a blank, recordable Blu-ray disc as appropriate. Your source video will not be compressed which may require you to use a dual- layer Blu-ray disc if the video will not fit on a single-layer disc.
    5 Optional: Change the destination recorder and number of copies at the bottom of the screen.
    6 Click the red Burn button at the bottom right of the Toast window. Toast displays a progress bar and status information as it records your disc.
    Toast will add a CERTIFICATE folder (with an empty BACKUP folder in it) for compatibility reasons. Or you can add (drag-and-drop) your own CERTIFICATE folder.

Originally Posted by PvH on d9
    The CERTIFICATE folder should always exist on a bluray whether empty or not.
    If the disc contains BD-J (JAR files) and they are signed, then there needs to be a certificate in that folder that authenticates the signature of the JAR files.
    If the JAR files are not signed, there is no need for a certificate, but BD-J then cannot access some privileged functions, among them access to persistent storage or access to the internet.
    If the certificates are removed and a signed JAR file wants to access privileged code, the disc simply will not play.
    If BD-Live content is downloaded from the internet, it may (usually is) signed too, requiring a certificate in that very folder to ensure, that the downloaded content can't be tampered with.
    The only reason to preserve the original CERTIFICATE folder is for "Bonus View" and "BD Live" content, i.e. if the advanced extras are super important in your back-up. For backing up just the main feature, it shouldn't matter.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the help. I swear when I tried the BDMV folder option in Toast before it did not let me add the certificate folder to it. Now I was able to drag and drop it no problem.

Does the Blu-ray disc title need to be in all caps like on a DVD?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jabbo5150 View Post
    Does the Blu-ray disc title need to be in all caps like on a DVD?
    I haven't seen any official publishing one way or the other. But some exact disc names mentioned online suggests that at least some studios seems to apply all caps like DVD: CLERKS_GBR, HELL, QUACKD1_GBR, DHV1EGE1.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can use lower case letters for blu-ray titles.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote