VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Great for my new 105" LED TV!

But I don't want to watch Matt Damon growing potatoes in UHD....
    Quote Quote  
  2. My guess is The Force Awakens will be released on UHD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeahhh . I cant wait to watch one UHD bluray.
    I just finished Better call saul season 1 in 4k and the quality is unreal. You can really see the difference from 1080p.
    UHD bluray in x265 and HDR should look even better.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    $400...this time next year $200, then the doors will open.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  5. Personally I am surprised that the price is so low considering this is cutting edge first of its kind tech. To me it speaks volumes on Samsung as a company because I am certain if a firm like Sony had been the first to market, their price would have easily been $1,000 or more out of the gate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Personally I am surprised that the price is so low considering this is cutting edge first of its kind tech. To me it speaks volumes on Samsung as a company because I am certain if a firm like Sony had been the first to market, their price would have easily been $1,000 or more out of the gate.
    But they are not exactly first to market considering Netflix and others are already doing 4K, albeit at a much lower bitrate which is not always transparent in quality. When HDDVDs and Blurays hit the market they were cutting edge, now with better streaming and 4K downloads for sale it's not the same. I might even consider them a bit late to the game.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    But they are not exactly first to market considering Netflix and others are already doing 4K, albeit at a much lower bitrate which is not always transparent in quality. When HDDVDs and Blurays hit the market they were cutting edge, now with better streaming and 4K downloads for sale it's not the same. I might even consider them a bit late to the game.
    So what you are saying is that streaming is killing ownership model? Touche!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Not for us that live in the areas that don't get fast bandwidth. We still need hardware that plays what we want.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Another thing with 4K is that there is no imminent 4K broadcast switchover, like there was with the OTA digital switchover. Forcing people to buy 1080i/720p capable TVs just to get a digital tuner, besides the converter boxes. But if you buy a 4K TV, you are buying it only to watch 4K Bluray and 4K Streams. 4K Broadcast TV is going to be harder to come by and will only be seen on subscription TV, and they are already hurting for bandwidth. 4K OTA TV in the USA is probably a long way off, as it would require everyone to buy new TVs or get a downconverter box. A process that won't be instigated by the FCC, like last time.

But we really could use new tuners in the US (ATSC) as all US OTA broadcasts still use MPEG2 @~18Mbit per frequency. A bitrate that could support 4K with HEVC.
    Last edited by KarMa; 24th Feb 2016 at 21:35.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Well, everyone wishes to watch higher resolutions, but be careful what you wish for, I stream Netflix and I want to actually lower stream bandwith, not FullHD not mentioning UHD because of limited 300GB/month bandwith, what Comcast provider offers for decent price. Using PC, bitrate could be lowered, but to regulate bitrate using media players is beyond control. "Luckily" Android devices do not stream over 720p so far, kind of working as an advantage, it saves bitrate and it is good enough.

Or even playing old TV shows like Star Trek using Netflix, there is little difference between 1Mbit 640x480 or 1.7Mbit and 720x480 (with AR) at least watching it on plasma. So it would be handy to manually lower bandwith on any device. Or watching a document, for example, no need to waste too much bitrate. It seems to be overlooked somehow. Those guys who write those apps could implement it. Maybe if plenty of people sends request it could be acknowledged.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think it would be better if those cheapo net providers gave us more bandwidth at faster speeds without raising their already high prices so we could watch uhd streaming but that would require them to do not much.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    I stream Netflix and I want to actually lower stream bandwith ... Using PC, bitrate could be lowered, but to regulate bitrate using media players is beyond control.
    Setting the limit on your account should apply to all devices.

Regarding the Samsung UHD player, rumors of undefeatable noise reduction are scaring me away. Apparently that's a common "feature" on their BD players. Hopefully the Panasonic allows a direct output.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Fear not, vaporeon800, I went through the manual and there is NOTHING regarding "undefeatable noise reduction" in it.

Closest thing I could find is this:
    Dynamic Range Control
    Lets you apply dynamic range control to Dolby
    Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby TrueHD
    audio.
    Auto : Automatically controls the dynamic range
    of Dolby TrueHD audio, based on information
    in the Dolby TrueHD soundtrack. Also turns
    dynamic range control on for Dolby Digital and
    Dolby Digital Plus.
    Off : Leaves the dynamic range uncompressed,
    letting you hear the original sound.
    On : Turns dynamic range control on for all three
    Dolby formats. Quieter sounds are made louder
    and the volume of loud sounds is reduced.
    ...which clearly is defeatable.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Setting the limit on your account should apply to all devices.
    I know about this, but it depends, you want to watch here or there best resolution, I'd need to change it all the time, kids do not mind using SD and there is a different content being watched by different users at the same time, sometimes it is just background etc., so to regulate it per device or better just using gui. Cut the cord (cable, satellite, even TV) and it just comes naturally to regulate bitrate with lots of variables in that system.

But this is kind of off topic where I'm going maybe some other thread ...
    Last edited by _Al_; 25th Feb 2016 at 01:14.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post

$99999..... In my country the average salary per year is ~ $2220 (at today's exchange rate). It turns out that you need 45 years not to eat, do not buy clothes, not to pay utilities / taxes for the purchase of this miracle TV.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gravitator View Post
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post

$99999..... In my country the average salary per year is ~ $2220 (at today's exchange rate). It turns out that you need 45 years not to eat, do not buy clothes, not to pay utilities / taxes for the purchase of this miracle TV.
    I have actually just an old Plasma TV....it's good enough for my VCDs.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Fear not, vaporeon800, I went through the manual and there is NOTHING regarding "undefeatable noise reduction" in it.
    Does that mean their BD players with it do call it out in the manual?

This is the most relevant discussion I found. Apparently there is a Picture Mode menu, only accessible if a non-Samsung "BD Wise" TV is used.
    http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=11858978#post11858978

I don't even like that the player offers the option of tweaking the output, as it prompts the question of whether "disabling" the tweaks truly bypasses this circuitry. But it is preferable to not exposing the settings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I realize now you were referring to VIDEO nr, so I'll check again tonight when I get home...

Scott
    Quote Quote