VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Thanks for the link.

Two things ring true to me in the article:

1) "...successive quarters of weak content..."

and

2) Streaming services are driving the decline of Redbox.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    "It could be five years from now or 15 years from now..."
    This is closer to the truth. I'd say 10-15. There are still whole sections of consumers who cannot afford streaming or don't have a reliable infrastructure for regular use, and this is now basically their ONLY rental avenue.

And if I happen to be using a kiosk on a weekend night, there are still times where I see a line in front of one.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I still see people at my local Walmart renting movies. In fact they have two units side by side. The people who still use it either don't care to change (senior citizens for example), or can't make the switch because they don't have decent internet (common in my rural area). They also let you rent Xbox/PS games which can be a good deal to try it out, at least for single player games. Multiplayer games often come with one time codes, giving online access to the original owner only.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just the apposite here. Two Redboxes at Walmart. Never see anyone there. Big rural area here also. Blockbuster went out of business years ago here. There are still two video/game rental shops run by Mom and Pop here in town. That's where most go to rent the latest stuff.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Redbox is still fairly popular in W. Texas, but many of us don't have fast internet speed. I still rent from Hastings, the few times I find a modern movie that I want to see. Hastings doesn't seem to have the delay between release to disc and availability to rent. But they are much higher than Redbox unless you return the rental in one day. Then they are at least competitive.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I rented two movies at Redbox last week
    I usually manage 2 or 3 a month
    For me, it's usually better quality than streaming, and it's easier to repeat a scene
    Sometimes watch a movie a second time, slowing down the action scenes
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bendixG15 View Post
    Redbox may be slowly dying, but I still rent a movie from them almost every week. Usually there is somebody else ahead of me or behind me on the week end.
    Quote Quote  
  8. It really depends on location with respect to Redbox. The kiosks where I live get a lot of use. While I know a fair share of people who have the ability to stream via Netflix, Hulu, Amazon VOD, etc, I also know just as many or more who don't and have wouldn't have a desire to pay a monthly fee to maybe use the streaming while still paying for it even when they don't use it. Some make use of disc rentals and streaming which is what I do.

I have the benefit of numerous Redbox locations in close proximity to where I live. Not all the kiosks are stocked with all the movies, unfortunately. Sometimes I've had to reserve and pick up new releases in different locations. It can be an annoyance but such is life. The closeness of some of these locations is humorous, however. Somewhat like the joke about a Starbucks on every corner. That said, one of the kiosks recently just vanished overnight without a trace. It was located inside a big chain grocery store. I assume it was an under-performing location but I also highly suspect it was their own fault. They located it where people wouldn't ever see it or know there was even a kiosk in the store to begin with.

Will Redbox die out at some point? Absolutely. Some of the reasoning with be reduced use by consumers be it because streaming is easier or because the quality of movie releases is garbage in many cases. Another problem is over-saturation with too many locations too close together in some areas. A bigger issue that I see, however, will come down to contracts with the studios and what movies will be released to who and how long a lag time between the retail release for sale versus release as a rental which is nothing new.
    Last edited by HemLok; 18th Feb 2016 at 21:17.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Agreed. But again, those things do not equate to "dead" (now) nor "dying" (~5years). Just starting to be "passe" (and may never go away completely). And the juggernaut of streaming isn't infallible, either (coverage, QoS, pricing issues) so consolidation might take longer than fanbois are hyping.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Redbox isn't dying in my area. I just went there the other day to rent Bridge of Spies and it was sold out. I have a Netflix plan where I get 1 Blu-ray shipped to me at a time and I like that just fine. I don't really care for streaming services because there really isn't anything on there that I want to watch.

These are the same people who keep saying music CDs have one foot in the grave too, yet those are still around 35 years since their introduction.
    Quote Quote