VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Most of the time, when I close my laptop, it goes into stand by mode. When I open the laptop, you just have to click into the profile and computer is up in a matter of seconds.

Sometimes, however, when I close my laptop, it completely shuts down. I checked the battery and the battery is charged. I'm running Win 7. I'm not sure why this happens. I have to flip open the laptop and power it back on. It will take 5 minutes or so to boot. Anything I can try or does this tend to happen?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Some laptops can enter "hibernation mode" if you let them on standby for too long. If that's not the issue start by checking your settings in the control panel. Maybe you have different settings when the computer is on battery or plugged in.
    Quote Quote  
  3. "Never" is the setting for hybernate. Both when on battery and when it is plugged in.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Check-control panel-power options, then on left side, click "choose what closing the lid does".
    I have "Shut down" for both on "When I close the lid". You could choose either "Do nothing" or "Sleep"
    I don't remember if some of those Asus programs effect this, I uninstalled all that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mine is set to "sleep" for "choose what closing the lid does"

So it looks like it should just go on standy or sleep mode. It's strange that once in a while, closing the lid actually shuts it down completely.
    Quote Quote  
  6. That might be due to inactivity after the lid is closed for an extended time.
    Under "Power options", you can click whichever power plan you are using, click "Change plan settings".
    By clicking "change advanced power settings", you can look around in that.
    I suppose the hard disk setting there has do with inactivity but someone else could verify.
    I haven't fooled with the advanced settings there some not familiar enough to give advice.
    Quote Quote