VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can help with a problem I have. We transferred our baby videos (a couple of months worth) from our camcorder onto our PC and found that they won't playback. I guess they are corrupt, but I don't know how to go about repairing (or if that is possible).

Some information:
    - The videos are recorded in AVCHD on a Canon Legria HFR46. They range in file size from 80Mb to 1Gb and have file extension .MTS.
    - The videos taken off the camera memory are all fine.
    - The videos taken off a Samsung EVO SD card do not play back. They open and the first 1-3 seconds plays, then it stalls and the player keeps running.
    - I've tried retaking the files off the SD card, and they do not play back directly on the camera (a ? graphic comes up)
    - The file extension of the files on the SD card is now for some reason .ETS
    - I've tried playing back in WMP and VLC, both of which work for all our other videos taken with the camera.

If anyone has any advice, or needs more information please let me know. We'd be very grateful.

Thanks a lot!

Mike.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried open it any video editor?

But you can try Graus Video Repair tool. Choose the broken mts file, a working mts file and see if it can repair anything at all. The trial version repairs half the movie.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Examine the files with a Hex Editor. Since you say the first few seconds play, check to see if the middle to end of the file is all zeros. If it all zeros it indicates a good chance they were corrupted during transfer to the PC or even the SD card is corrupt since the camera can't play them back either.

If you wanted, you could upload one of the small size videos to a file host and post the link here so we can see what is exactly wrong with it. Without the file we can only guess or give general recovery advice.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by h_doodles View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can help with a problem I have. We transferred our baby videos (a couple of months worth) from our camcorder onto our PC and found that they won't playback. I guess they are corrupt, but I don't know how to go about repairing (or if that is possible).

Some information:
    - The videos are recorded in AVCHD on a Canon Legria HFR46. They range in file size from 80Mb to 1Gb and have file extension .MTS.
    - The videos taken off the camera memory are all fine.
    - The videos taken off a Samsung EVO SD card do not play back. They open and the first 1-3 seconds plays, then it stalls and the player keeps running.
    - I've tried retaking the files off the SD card, and they do not play back directly on the camera (a ? graphic comes up)
    - The file extension of the files on the SD card is now for some reason .ETS
    - I've tried playing back in WMP and VLC, both of which work for all our other videos taken with the camera.

If anyone has any advice, or needs more information please let me know. We'd be very grateful.

Thanks a lot!

Mike.
    No expert, but it might be that the file header (the bit that decides what type of file it is) on the MTS files is corrupt. You could try renaming the .ETS files to .MTS. It may need a good file header replacing the damged ones (if thats the problem).

Perhaps its a corrupts SD card?

good luck, and dont delete those files! it may be possible to restore them at a later date.
    Quote Quote