VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone,

I am new here and to the world of video editing. I came here to get some much needed help.

I tried searching the internet to help me do what I wanted but I couldnt find anything. To make matters worse I am not sure how to technically describe what I want to do.

So here goes...
    Lets say there is a video where the are a number of characters in it and there is a image silhouette of multiple people.
    I would like the video to start off normally and then zoom in on a character's face,pause it, move the face around, show the silhouette and then show the face over the blank silhouette.
    I really apologize if this is such a stupid question or if I am asking too much but I just cannot find any tutorials online that could show me how to do this.

Any help is much appreciated! Even links to similar videos would be helpful.

I have included some links below so you can image what I am trying to create. Also I have made a very simple output of what I am trying to achieve. ( remember the "effect" would be a video clip in the end )

Thanks guys.

Video Clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV7u1VBhWCE

Picture: http://images.clipartpanda.com/busin...men-vector.png

Effect: http://s18.postimg.org/ax4sw55jt/example.png
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by megaman119 View Post
    Lets say there is a video where the are a number of characters in it and there is a image silhouette of multiple people.
    I would like the video to start off normally and then zoom in on a character's face,pause it, move the face around, show the silhouette and then show the face over the blank silhouette.
    We need a slightly more detailed description

Do you have the normal source video already, or are you planning to do a shoot ? ie. do you want to zoom in on the character's face in post or during shooting ?

What exactly do you mean "move the face around" ? Did you mean move the camera (virtual or real) around the face ? or did you mean "cut out" the face so the face or head is free ? You are limited in what you can do in post by "moving around the face", because it's 2D - you can bascially only move in the X,Y axis and zoom in.

How do you mean "show the silhouette" ? did you want to transition it in, or abrupt? How do you get from A to B ? and how did you want to transition face over the sihouette ? (same, abrupt, fading in, etc...) ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I understand its not clear at all but I cannot explain what I want to do technically and worse I do not have an example video either.

But what I am trying to do is :
    Make a short video of the source video file playing and then move /fly one of the character's faces and show it in the video ending up on the silhouette picture.

Basically - > Have a few seconds of the source clip - > start transitioning only one of the characters face and in the next scene show the silhouette picture but with a face of the character on one of it .

I want to do all this in a software like adobe premiere , there is no real footage - my question is on software based video editing .
    Quote Quote  
  4. There's many slight variations on how it might play out from your description - it's not specific enough of a description. So the instructions you get will be generic as well, at least for now until you refine the description

Did you want the character's face only, or a "box" like in your bottom sample picture ? If you wanted it form fitting, you need to make a "cutout" just like you would in photoshop. In video, typically after effects is used for tasks like this - you just click points around the face. In your first description, you said zoom in on the face, then pause, then move the face around to appear on the silhouette positioned in a certain position. That's basically how you isolate the face - the generic term is called masking it out, or making a "cutout". Layers and masks are used. Premiere has a garbage matte, but less control or fine tuning than AE. The isolated face is placed on a layer above the background track, which is the silhouette layer. If the video is paused for the cutout, you don't even have to use a video editor for the cutout - you could use a still image and an image editor like photoshop/gimp/paint.net etc..., reimport that into your video editor. The cutout has an alpha channel or transparency (areas around the face are transparent, so you can place it on the background silhouette layer). Because they exist on separate layers, you can animate and control them separately - ie. you can animate the face layer, move it around independently of the background layer. If you wanted the face to be animated (ie. the video is not paused, and still "playing") , then you would need to rotoscope it . Rotoscoping is basically animated masks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you poisondeathray! That is exactly what I am looking for! and your explanation of the different variations is very helpful as well while I try to see how I can achieve this. In the meantime could you kindly share any videos, tutorials or other resources that I can use as guide to help me achieve this ?

Thank you again for your time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. There's going to be many, many free tutorials on sites like youtube. The problem is actually narrowing the search down, and using the proper "keywords"

I know it seems difficult when starting out, but this sort of thing is actually quite simple, even in free video editors. It literally takes a few minutes to do. You just have to dive right in and learn by "doing". People here can help you along.

Start by listing what software you are going to be using. The basic concepts are almost the same in any program, but implementation and terminology might be slightly different
    Quote Quote