VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Pioneer DVR-560H-K. I would like to connect an HD indoor antenna to this device so I can record broadcasts directly onto the DVR. The antenna I have has a regular coaxial connection but my device has a different connection (I think because it is Canadian or European made as it is PAL capable).

Please point me in the right direction. Here is a photo of the back of the device:
    http://www.pioneer.eu/images/products/dvdrecorder/pioneer/dvr560hk_rear_large.jpg.

The connections are on the left side.

Any help/suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
    Willing To Learn
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JoRodd View Post
    I have a Pioneer DVR-560H-K. I would like to connect an HD indoor antenna to this device so I can record broadcasts directly onto the DVR. The antenna I have has a regular coaxial connection but my device has a different connection (I think because it is Canadian or European made as it is PAL capable).

Please point me in the right direction. Here is a photo of the back of the device:
    http://www.pioneer.eu/images/products/dvdrecorder/pioneer/dvr560hk_rear_large.jpg.

The connections are on the left side.

Any help/suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
    Don't bother trying to connect it to an antenna. Your DVD recorder was made for the European market. It cannot tune any over-the-air TV signals in the USA because it does not have an ATSC tuner. (ATSC is the over-the-air digital standard used in N. America, including Canada.)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

Don't bother trying to connect it to an antenna. Your DVD recorder was made for the European market. It cannot tune any over-the-air TV signals in the USA because it does not have an ATSC tuner. (ATSC is the over-the-air digital standard used in N. America, including Canada.)
    Thanks for the reply.

Is there any kind of external tuner/PAL to NTSC converter I can get? If so, is it even worth it?
    Willing To Learn
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know anything about European tv tuner specs
    But that connector is a simple RCA jack
    You just need a coax to RCA adapter a cheap part, goto the local electronics surplus or hobby store
    Then you can try it out
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JoRodd View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

Thanks for the reply.

Is there any kind of external tuner/PAL to NTSC converter I can get? If so, is it even worth it?
    It is worth it if you need to have recordings on DVD.

You can get an ATSC converter box that acts as an external tuner and outputs video and audio over RCA connections. Here is one popular example: http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HW-150PVR-HomeWorx-Converter-Recording/dp/B00I2ZBD1U/ Your DVD recorder accepts composite video and stereo audio input for recording.

The above ATSC converter box has a recording function itself and can record to an external hard drive in the original broadcast resolution.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Jan 2016 at 15:55.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    I don't know anything about European tv tuner specs
    But that connector is a simple RCA jack
    You just need a coax to RCA adapter a cheap part, goto the local electronics surplus or hobby store
    Then you can try it out
    No. European antenna connections are not a type of RCA jack. Plus, since this DVD recorder has an analog PAL tuner, even the right type of coax adapter won't help with recording US over-the-air TV.

[Edit] The picture shows a PAL connection for antenna-in. A F-type female to PAL male adapter would be needed, but getting one would still be a waste of money.

Correction: I found a listing for this DVD recorder at B&H Photo and Video which says the tuner works for PAL, NTSC, and SECAM signals, The tuner is only useful for analog cable TV or when connecting something like a VCR or STB that provides audio and video via RF-out on NTSC channel 3 or 4. NTSC is no longer used for OTA TV in the USA.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Jan 2016 at 12:37. Reason: correction
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1: You'd need a topset box with s-video or scart output

No source detected on dvd recorder, then goto 2

2: Integrate between both units a signal converter (convert to pal) otherwise the recorder may not detect the signal.

Cheaper to get a topset box and retire the recorder for other uses.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    1: You'd need a topset box with s-video or scart output

No source detected on dvd recorder, then goto 2

2: Integrate between both units a signal converter (convert to pal) otherwise the recorder may not detect the signal.

Cheaper to get a topset box and retire the recorder for other uses.
    1. SCART is not used in the USA and you would have a hard time finding an STB for over-the-air TV with an S-Video here. STBs for over-the-air TV with composite video connections are much easier to find.

2. Totally unnecessary. This DVD recorder can record NTSC signals via its composite and S-Video connections.

I agree that a set-top box able to record OTA TV in its original resolution would be more convenient, unless someone wants recordings on DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you can find one(and your fussy about picture quality, otherwise anything with composite output would work OK) I'd suggest a Channel Master CM-7000. It has S-video output and excellent SD picture quality that would match up nicely with your classic Pio. It was a CECB sold shortly after the OTA digital transition. Another nice CECB was the Zenith/Insignia models, they only had composite output and no guide feature like the CM but their picture quality was about as good as composite gets.
    The easiest option if your not totally hung up on the best picture quality you can get would be one of the iView/Homeworx or many similar clones available for ~$40 from Amazon and other places. None have S-video and their composite is what I'd call "OK" quality. They do have a decent PSIP guide and as UQ said can function as a HD DVR by simply attaching a USB HDD that you'd supply.
    Truthfully unless you archive a lot it might just be easier and for sure better picture quality if you have a HDTV, to just use the iView to record and delete and for the few things you might want to put on DVD just play on the iView and record the output via it's composite output. Since the iView is a mirror of the broadcast you wouldn't lose any quality first recording to the iView and then later playing the iView and recording on your Pio vs tuning the channel on your iView and directly recording the program.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the Homeworx version
    The HD recording quality is excellent
    I have used video redo for editing, and then
    Avi2dvd to author several tv series DVDs
    Yes it has composite output and yes you could record on a dvd or vcr from it
    But I like keeping the HD recordings on a external hard drive
    Quote Quote  
  11. HarpMaster
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Pioneer 440HX DVD Recorder. The back looks similar to yours except the coax output has a short link going to a digital coax link on the right-hand side. Then the output to the TV is another digital coax socket, I think is directly above. Yours doesn't seem to have a link from the analogue output to a digital input in the same way, but it does have a digital coax output on the right-hand side. Maybe the digital tuner is linked internally, but needs the coax output to the TV plugged in on the right-hand digital socket, instead of in the left-hand analogue output, to engage the digital tuner?
    I'm just guessing, but it can't do any damage to try.
    HarpMaster
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HarpMaster View Post
    I have a Pioneer 440HX DVD Recorder. The back looks similar to yours except the coax output has a short link going to a digital coax link on the right-hand side. Then the output to the TV is another digital coax socket, I think is directly above. Yours doesn't seem to have a link from the analogue output to a digital input in the same way, but it does have a digital coax output on the right-hand side. Maybe the digital tuner is linked internally, but needs the coax output to the TV plugged in on the right-hand digital socket, instead of in the left-hand analogue output, to engage the digital tuner?
    I'm just guessing, but it can't do any damage to try.
    The Pioneer DVR-560H-K is an old model and only has an analog tuner. It does not have a digital tuner. The digital coax you spoke of is for audio output. Yes it could do damage to try what you are suggesting. Attempting to plug connectors into ports that are not intended to accept them is never a good idea.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks to all for your replies. Much appreciated.
    Willing To Learn
    Quote Quote