VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello internet!

I bought a JVC 9911 from ebay but I'm not sure if it is in working order.
    When I plug the unit into the power, word "Auto" blinks in the front screen of the 9911, which manual says it means it is trying to set the clock automatically. After some time it gives up and I'm left with "--.-- " on screen. 'Power' button on the unit doesn't do anything, and when I connect the out put to a TV (I've tried component and S-Video) nothing works (even pushing menu button on remote doesn't show anything in the output.

If this unit is supposed to be powered on regardless of the clock, then I assume there is something wrong. Also without the device being powered on, am I supposed to use the remote?

Best,
    Morteza
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Stick a tape in it and press play?
    My JVC/Philips tries the same thing, I just start using it and it gives up.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Stick a tape in it and press play?
    My JVC/Philips tries the same thing, I just start using it and it gives up.
    I've tried that, it doesn't accept the tape, as if there was no power.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My first JVC/Philips did some strange stuff before I got pissed off and killed it, now that I think of it it was THAT machine that occasionally did that....my present one has never done that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mdelgir View Post
    When I plug the unit into the power, word "Auto" blinks in the front screen of the 9911, which manual says it means it is trying to set the clock automatically. After some time it gives up and I'm left with "--.-- " on screen.
    Yes, that's normal behavior. This model was designed back when PBS television stations offered time-setting as an Extended Data Service. With the rise of digital broadcasting and internet time protocols, the service is no longer broadcast.

'Power' button on the unit doesn't do anything, and when I connect the out put to a TV (I've tried component and S-Video) nothing works (even pushing menu button on remote doesn't show anything in the output.
    Nothing is going to work if the unit isn't powered on.

If this unit is supposed to be powered on regardless of the clock, then I assume there is something wrong. Also without the device being powered on, am I supposed to use the remote?
    Yes, my 9911U works just fine without the clock being set. The only thing that works on the remote if the unit is not powered up is the POWER button, as you might expect. Here are a few things you can try:

1. Press the TIMER button to disengage timer mode. Then try the POWER button.
    2. Press and hold the POWER button for more than 10 seconds to cancel Child Lock function.
    3. Leave the unit unplugged from AC power for several minutes and try again.
    Quote Quote