VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Im trying to rip a DVD onto my network drive using MakeMKV, however there seems to be a copy protection on the disc. MakeMKV throws up a FAIL error...

"RPC protection that can not be bypassed. Change drive region or update drive firmware",

so I then tried ripping it first with DVDFab9. That rips successfully but then when I try to use MakeMKV it again throws the same error , So im assuming DVDFab9 didnt remove the copy protection, I dont think its a REGION issue as my DVD Rom plays the disc fine and the device is brand new, has anyone any ideas how I can get round this
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Install DVDFabPasskey - even the free version should work although if it is a very recent DVD it may not as the free version is generally a few months behind. This should knock out the region code.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the advice, but im afraid it still happens MakeMKV fails to load the ripped video file. Using DVDfab9 it rips the disc to an ISO file, which then when I click on that iso file it becomes the VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS file that I am used to working with. I have a new PC so I am not that up to speed with how it handles video files it looks as though the PC has a virtual drive for reading the created ISO file. The other issue I am having with DVDFab9 is that when I select the "RIP" mode it rips it to MP4 is there a setting anywhere where I can rip to my familiar TS files. Thanks for your assistance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you click on the window on the left where presumably you see a large blue icon called MP4 it will be above a horizontal button called advanced settings.

If you click on the MP4 icon a window will open that will allow you to select MKV or a whole range of other formats
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	434
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	35367  

SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Addendum - a TS file is not the same as a VIDEO_TS folder
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What Movie/tv series are you trying to rip?Some people here might have the answer if you tell us.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great advice chaps, many thanks........I have a suspision that my DVD RW doesnt like ripping protected discs as I have experimented with one I know my old PC/DVD ROM ripped without issue. Its labelled as a TSST Corp drive, which I believe is a samsung based unit. IM actually thinking of adding another drive, perhaps a liteon as I used those in my last PC and they worked flawlessley. What would be your reccomendations ?
    Quote Quote