VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys, I tried searching for the answer on a few different places with no luck. Here is the situation. I have never burned a dvd before but I happened to have a few blank dvd's at my house and my son is here for the weekend. Him and I really enjoy watching "Practical Jokers" It's a tv show. Anyways he asked me if i could make him a dvd of the show so he could take it back to his moms and show his step brother. I have the tv shows downloaded and own a copy of Toast 14. I fired up Toast, picked the beginner or assistant mode and went to dvd. Here is my Problem, I drag and drop the shows I want to put on the dvd and I can only fit THREE tv shows on one dvd?

Why is this happening? The shows themselves are not nearly a gig or larger, however when I drag them in the dvd burn area they show up as 1.3 gigs or so each time. The shows cant be more than 1 or 3 hundred mb's. The length on the shows are all about 20 minutes per episode. I have tried burning AVI and MPEG4 versions of the same show to the dvd and each time the same thing happens. I can only fit 3 shows.

Could somebody please help me out with this? and if this same post is in here please just direct me to it rather than yelling at me for double posting. I did search. I didnt find anything and Id rather spend quality time with my son this weekend than searching on the computer all day. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,
    clueless dad

2. Can't you just burn the files to a data-DVD instead of a video-DVD - much more efficient.

Search Comp PM
    The size of the source is not relevant. I guess that the mode selected has a set bitrate which will fit approx. 1 hour on to one disk. So the three episodes is then correct.

See if there are other modes or you can change the encoding bitrate down from the, probable, 8000 kbps >> 6000 kbps could give you 4 episodes whereas 4000 kbps could give you 6. All assuming 20 mins per episode.

Just remember that the more episodes the lower the final quality.

4. Bruger,
    I guess I could do data files. My son is only six so I wanted to make things as easy as possible for him. But I'm sure he can figure out data files just the same.

Do,

I figured since I can get a 2 hour DVD movie from the store that is high quality I would be able to replicate something like that.

I'll just go with data. Thanks guys.

5. It does make me wonder though. And I haven't tried this yet. But would I even be able to create a DVD of a movie? Like try to burn a regular movie onto a DVD that isn't in data form?

6. Sorry another question. I went to put them on the DVD as data files but it says "create a data cd for Mac and Windows) will a standard DVD player be able to read the DVD disk and play the tv shows?

7. will a standard DVD player be able to read the DVD disk and play the tv shows?
    Generally not. You'll need a video-DVD for that ie making the DVD using Toast or similar. There are some DVD players that are DivX compatible that can use videos on a data-DVD provided some (strict) specifications are meet.

To use a data-DVD you need a computor.

8. Damn. All I wanted to do was make a DVD for my son. How come I can buy say, sopranos season one and it'll be on like two dvd's? I thought I could at least get 10 shows on a dvd

9. How come I can buy say, sopranos season one and it'll be on like two dvd's?
    I can see that the Sopranos is 13 episodes pr season. Then one disk should have 7 episodes and assuming 40 min/episode that would be a play time of 280 min (4:40). On a DL disk that would be a bit rate of 3.7 Mb/s.

Using the same bit rate on a SL disk you could have 7 episodes of your show.

10. Ok. From what I gather I need to look into how to change the bit rate of my videos (or what but rate I copy them to the DVD)
    AND I need to research the difference between a DL DISK and an SL DISK.
    Thanks Bruger. Much appreciated.

Ryan

11. SL: Single layer (DVD-5 4.37 GiB)
    DL: Dual layer (DVD-9 7.95 GiB)

the bit rate of my videos
    '
    More precisely: Change the bitrate used on the DVD

size = playtime * bitrate

I'm not a mac user and don't know Toast but according to this you can use "Custom" settings and change the averarge bitrate to 3.5 Mb/s which should fit 7 episodes on a DVD-5.

Search Comp PM
    Well the OP had the info a bout bitrate in reply #2 yet he chose to ignore it or ask for clarification. Does not exactly encourage further contribution in a thread.

Very few on here use Toast since it is a Mac product but the principles are always the same.

BTW I have the original Series One of The Sopranos on DVD. And they are on 6 disks (58 mins per episode according to the box). Granted that DL-disks were less common back then but still to fit 3 hours (or more|) on to one reduces quality big time.

IMO 4000 kbps for video is the 'sweet' point. Go lower at your own disappointment.

13. I didn't choose to ignore it you jackass. I'm still trying to figure out how to change it. Like I said I've never done this before. Get lost d8

14. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please keep the discussion civil.

And since you are asking about Mac specific programs, moving you to our Mac Forum.

Moderator redwudz

Search Comp PM
    And no. I did not report your post.

Have a nice day !.

16. sure ya didn't. I got got my answers anyways

17. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Please keep the discussion civil.

And since you are asking about Mac specific programs, moving you to our Mac Forum.

Moderator redwudz

God forbid I post a newb question in the newb forum

Search Comp PM
    Whist you posted your topic in the appropriate forum as a new user, a moderator can still move it if there is a more appropriate place for it.

Like I said, Toast is a Mac program and there is a forum for Mac issues. Most Mac users will not go in to PC specific sections.

But take on a mod as well and you could sure get banned.

19. Originally Posted by sweetcorn View Post

God forbid I post a newb question in the newb forum
    God forbid a moderator then moves you to an area where you're more likely to get good advice regarding your question.

The answer is to reduce your bitrate with custom settings in toast, DB83 has given you some good general guidelines. Your Sopranos DVDs are dual layer which hold twice as much data and they are encoded using very sophisticated software ($$$$) by experienced technicians ($$$$) often on a scene by scene basis to maintain quality.

20. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

I might get banned from this message board? Let me get down on my knees and beg for forgiveness

http://youtu.be/Kw6wDsGdrpw

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sweetcorn View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

I might get banned from this message board? Let me get down on my knees and beg for forgiveness

http://youtu.be/Kw6wDsGdrpw
    If you're still around, OP, if you're going to burn DATA to a DVD I suggest using a piece of free software called "Burn."
    burn-osx.sourceforge.net

Click DATA, and make sure "DVD-UDF" is chosen in the upper right.
    On that note, things got nasty in the thread. Not sure if you want any more help, but if you want to IM me, go ahead. I'll give you my info.

22. Thanks

23. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    sweetcorn, I only ask members to be civil once.

Moderator redwudz
    Last edited by redwudz; 23rd Feb 2016 at 02:43.