VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, Im new here, so if i missed this same question when i searched the index, please forgive me.
    I have about 600 blurays, and have been using handbreak to rip them to mp4. then synch them to my iphone to watch while traveling. I dont need super excellent video quality as the dvds i have ripped look pretty great on the iphone and the bluray quality just takes up too much space. Handbreak plus anydvd doesnt always work. Sometimes only about 15-20 minutes of the video gets ripped. Not to mention that Handbreak takes forever when doing blueray.
    so i guess what i need, is a way to rip bluerays to mp4 in file sizes about 2gb or less ( dvd rips to about 600mb)
    any suggestions ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try DVD dfab, it's not free
    There is a trial version, don't remember if the trial does does blue ray
    The PAID version, does do bluray

Makemkv gets mentioned a lot, it might do bluray
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MakeMKV works with Blu ray but doesn't process or shrink the size in anyway. You would then have to find a program to shrink to a suitable size and then to mp4 say using MkvToMp4 https://www.videohelp.com/software/MkvToMp4
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use makemkv to rip and then use vidcoder to re-encode the mkv to mkv/mp4 at crf 22 and audio at 160 acc at 480p.If you only get 20 minute encodes that take too long then there's something wrong on your computer.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    If you are interested in speeed primarily, DVDFab is one of the fastest programs I've tried using default settings. You can set up Handbrake or Vidcoder to equal that speed for free if you just explore their settings.

Anydvd is easily one of the best decrypting programs available, so keep it updated and keep using it.

Encodes stopping prematurely is most likely a problem in your system, not the software that you are using.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for all of the replies. I took the advice from Kerry56 and tweaked the settings in Handbreak. now the mp4 file is down to about 2gb from 20. this does take about 45-65 minutes while a dvd only takes 15-20 minutes, but then a blu ray does contain way more data, so I'm happy with that. Also, the partial encoding disappeared ( i'm guessing something in the settings were messed up that i unknowingly fixed )
    I'm going to watch handbreak tutorials on youtube to be more educated and possibly GIVE answers to its use as opposed to asking for them next time. Again thanks.
    Quote Quote