VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys,

let's say I have a clip that is 10 seconds long:
    [ 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 ]

I cut out 2 seconds in the middle (5 and 6)
    [ 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 ][ 5 | 6 ][ 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 ]

I'm left with 2 clips having in total 8 seconds (and missing the seconds 5 and 6)
    [ 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 ][ 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 ]

Is there a way to join this two clips and at the same time bring the previously removed seconds in the middle
    while keeping the 8 second length? You would say: Why you just stretch it from 10 to 8 in the beginning?
    I can't do it because those sections that I remove are audio that I dont want. But I want to keep the video (even if I have to stretch it).

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Your question isn't clear.

Are you trying to simply butt the two ends together? just slide it on the timeline.

If you want to lose 2 seconds of sound but keep all the video the simplest strategy is to replace the unwanted audio section with something like background sound.

If you want to actually stretch or shrink the video instructions are here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/duration-speed.html

It sounds like you may not realize you can manipulate sound and picture independently by unlocking the tracks -- but I may be misreading.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm editing a video that has speech. In order to make it more watchable. I remove the pauses. (the uuuuhms, the "you knows" etc) also to make the video shorter. When I remove the audio, I also remove the video. So I end up with little jumps that I don't want (in the video) since there is no need to keep a/v in synch.

So just to reexplain in a different way: after I remove a part I dont want in the clip (video and audio), I'm ok with the audio, but I have to bring back (after unlinking) the video sections that I deleted with the audio. So now I have to leave only the fist section of the video and drag the handle at the end where the audio ends. But the problem now is that I have more video than audio, so I have to take (the video only) one track up and extend it to the end and then stretch it back and put it back with the audio.
    Maybe I'll do a video to make this clear.

Anyway, I'm not an expert in Premiere, but I'm not a newbie either (so I know how to do most of what I need).
    I'm guessing, this is not possible.
    Last edited by giove; 15th Jan 2016 at 11:55.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Premiere has an effect called "morph cut" that can sometimes make the joins fairly seamless. However, I don't believe it's available in CS6. So you're forced to more traditional techniques like using cutaways, softening the cuts with dissolves or wipes, or living with the jumps.

Edit:

After rereading your post, just slip the audio up and keep the video rolling if sync doesn't matter.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I see your point.. but the problem then is that I'll have long pauses (with no audio).
    Since the video I'm dealing with, is with this guy drawing, I like the effect I get if I speed up the video.
    It looks like those RSA Animate videos.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just "Duck" it in. use a volume envelope.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It takes time to do vol. envelopes on every cut.
    And reducing or removing the sound instead of cutting, isn't the same.
    You end up with a lot of unwanted akward pauses.
    Quote Quote