VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Sky STB (Amstrad DRX890W) and would like to capture 5.1 audio via the HDMI. At the moment I can capture video and audio but that is just in AC3 2.0 using either Avermedia Capture HD or BlackMagic Shuttle.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you can force the STB to output 5.1 to the Blackmagic, most or all of their capture devices can capture bitstreams into the 2-channel WAV track which BeSplit can then manually turn into a 5.1 AC3 file. If you do successfully capture the bitstream, it will sound like a lot of extremely loud, annoying noise before it's processed. Don't try playing it with the sound up.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    If you can force the STB to output 5.1 to the Blackmagic, most or all of their capture devices can capture bitstreams into the 2-channel WAV track which BeSplit can then manually turn into a 5.1 AC3 file. If you do successfully capture the bitstream, it will sound like a lot of extremely loud, annoying noise before it's processed. Don't try playing it with the sound up.
    OK thanks, I will give that a try. I presume there is no way to capture the 5.1 on the fly, so there is no need for post processing?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm not sure whether you meant Intensity Shuttle or HyperDeck Shuttle, but both can capture 8-channel LPCM, so technically you could capture without post-processing if your STB supported multi-channel PCM output. It almost definitely doesn't though, especially since you're currently getting 2-channel.

The filesizes that way would be enormous, with no benefit to quality.

The alternative is a capture device from another manufacturer, like Hauppauge.
    Quote Quote